    all of my data, or will the computer automatically upgrade/downgrade the OS
    so that all of my data is preserved?

    Ryan

    =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=, Oct 21, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

    Allan Guest

    "Ryan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have Windows XP Pro 64 bit and do not like it at all! I bought several
    > pieces of hardware and software for audio production (M-Audio NRV10,
    > Pro-Tools) which are not compatible with this OS, and wish to downgrade
    > the 32 bit version, or simply go right to Vista. If I do this, will I
    > loose
    > all of my data, or will the computer automatically upgrade/downgrade the
    > OS
    > so that all of my data is preserved?
    >
    > Ryan

    You may want to consider dual-booting as described on the MS website. You
    have to partition your system drive to make room for the 32-bit OS. You may
    also have to reinstall Pro x64 on the new partition. Back up your data to
    removable media such as CD, DVD, or external drive first to be safe.

    Allan, Oct 21, 2007

  3. Your "data" can be preserved, if it's not on the same partition as your
    operating system. If, however, it is on the same partition, you need to make
    a backup copy of it and restore it after rebuilding your machine. There is
    no upgrade or direct conversion between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. You must
    install to a clean empty partition when moving from one to the other.

    The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard can help with saving off your data
    files and your settings. Run the wizard before you do the conversion, saving
    to a separate partition, or an external drive or network share. Then, do the
    install, download all the latest service packs and updates, re-install your
    programs, and run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard again to restore
    your data.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64