    words ), so I presume i have to uninstall the WinME 1st......WILL IT BE SAFE
    AFTER I END UP WITH NO OP/SYS untill i can get Win98 installed ??? it's
    freakin' me a bit....Please help if poss.....cheers ..FRED

    fredcromer, May 8, 2004

  2. fredcromer wrote:
    > I've got a crappy old computer..( My 1st ), I got it 3 months ago..it's a
    > 333 Mhz , 64mb , 4 gig HD....and it came with W98 on it....I found an
    > upgrade disk in Cash Converters, ( in a EA Golf CD case), I came home and
    > upgraded it.......it now seems that the majority of people think I should
    > have kept the 98.....is that about right ?? i've found a copy of 98 with the
    > codes, but it won't let me install 'cos WinME is ( 'superior' in the comps
    > words ), so I presume i have to uninstall the WinME 1st......WILL IT BE SAFE
    > AFTER I END UP WITH NO OP/SYS untill i can get Win98 installed ??? it's
    > freakin' me a bit....Please help if poss.....cheers ..FRED

    If the hard disk is big enough, you can split it into two
    primary partitions, clone your existing system into one and
    the do the business in the other. That way, you can always
    go back.

    IMO , it isn't worth the effort - leave it in ME.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 8, 2004

  3. fredcromer

    Trent SC Guest

    > I've got a crappy old computer..( My 1st ), I got it 3 months ago..it's a
    > 333 Mhz , 64mb , 4 gig HD....and it came with W98 on it....I found an
    > upgrade disk in Cash Converters, ( in a EA Golf CD case), I came home and
    > upgraded it.......it now seems that the majority of people think I should
    > have kept the 98.....is that about right ?? i've found a copy of 98 with

    the
    > codes, but it won't let me install 'cos WinME is ( 'superior' in the comps
    > words ), so I presume i have to uninstall the WinME 1st......WILL IT BE

    SAFE
    > AFTER I END UP WITH NO OP/SYS untill i can get Win98 installed ??? it's
    > freakin' me a bit....Please help if poss.....cheers ..FRED

    The majority opinion is that ME is a crock of you-know-what, so downgrading
    is certainly a good option. That said, the only effective way of removing
    ME completely is to reboot the computer with a start-up floppy (often called
    an emergency boot disk), reformat the hard drive, then reinstall 98. It's a
    scary process if you've not done it before, but in fact it's fairly
    straightforward and there are a number of online resources which can give
    you a step by step guide which you can print out.

    It goes without saying that you lose all the data on your hard drive,
    including emails, documents and any files you've saved.

    Trent SC, May 8, 2004
  4. fredcromer

    Mellowed Guest

    WIN Me gets a lot of well deserved flack. I upgraded from Win 98 and
    find it OK. There are times that I must reboot to get a fresh start,
    but, overall I think that the pluses out weigh the minuses. My computer
    is an old PII. I kind of expect it to die shortly, (the Motherboard has
    a hidden cold solder joint) otherwise I would upgrade to WIN XP. I
    don't want to hassle with Microsoft in using my XP copy on my new
    computer.

    The bottom line is just keep the ME. Keep it updated and keep your
    computer clean from junk. I also suggest that you increase your RAM.
    It does make a difference.

    "fredcromer" <> wrote in message
    : I've got a crappy old computer..( My 1st ), I got it 3 months
    ago..it's a
    : 333 Mhz , 64mb , 4 gig HD....and it came with W98 on it....I found an
    : upgrade disk in Cash Converters, ( in a EA Golf CD case), I came home
    and
    : upgraded it.......it now seems that the majority of people think I
    should
    : have kept the 98.....is that about right ?? i've found a copy of 98
    with the
    : codes, but it won't let me install 'cos WinME is ( 'superior' in the
    comps
    : words ), so I presume i have to uninstall the WinME 1st......WILL IT
    BE SAFE
    : AFTER I END UP WITH NO OP/SYS untill i can get Win98 installed ???
    it's
    : freakin' me a bit....Please help if poss.....cheers ..FRED
    :
    :

    Mellowed, May 8, 2004
  5. fredcromer

    Chris M Guest

    > I've got a crappy old computer..( My 1st ), I got it 3 months ago..it's a
    > 333 Mhz , 64mb , 4 gig HD....and it came with W98 on it....I found an
    > upgrade disk in Cash Converters, ( in a EA Golf CD case), I came home and
    > upgraded it.......it now seems that the majority of people think I should
    > have kept the 98.....is that about right ?? i've found a copy of 98 with

    the
    > codes, but it won't let me install 'cos WinME is ( 'superior' in the comps
    > words ), so I presume i have to uninstall the WinME 1st......WILL IT BE

    SAFE
    > AFTER I END UP WITH NO OP/SYS untill i can get Win98 installed ??? it's
    > freakin' me a bit....Please help if poss.....cheers ..FRED

    From the spec you have described, I would:

    - Get an extra 256Mb of RAM
    - Install Windows 2000 or XP.

    XP runs fine on even fairly old hardware, depending on what you're doing
    with it of course. I used to run XP on a PII-266 with 384Mb of RAM.

    I'd prefer Windows 98 over ME but they both suck, IMHO. If you really want
    to mess about reinstalling 98 then BACK UP YOUR DATA, and then reinstall 98
    from scratch.

    --
    Chris.

    Chris M, May 8, 2004
  6. fredcromer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > From the spec you have described, I would:
    >
    > - Get an extra 256Mb of RAM
    > - Install Windows 2000 or XP.
    >
    > XP runs fine on even fairly old hardware, depending on what you're doing
    > with it of course. I used to run XP on a PII-266 with 384Mb of RAM.

    I'd agree with that. Get the memory up as high as the motherboard will
    allow, and maybe another hard drive, and once XP loads (which may take
    longer than you'd expect) it will run fine.

    > I'd prefer Windows 98 over ME but they both suck, IMHO. If you really want
    > to mess about reinstalling 98 then BACK UP YOUR DATA, and then reinstall

    98
    > from scratch.

    If you decide to do this, be sure to get your Windows Address Book,
    everything from the OE store directory, etc., as well as the typical data in
    My Documents. Also, some (IMO poorly behaved) programs place their data in
    other locations, so check carefully.

    Toolman Tim, May 8, 2004