    don't know if it is, becuase the laptop I have (Acer Ferrari 4000) came pre
    installed with XP64bit.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTGVpZ2gtUGVtYmVydG9u?=, Nov 27, 2005

  2. Clean install only if you plan to revert back to XP x86 and you need a new
    license also.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 27, 2005

  3. sorry - i'm almost completely useless with computers - by clean install I
    presume you mean a complete wipe of everything on my computer (eg my
    documents etc).

    Also, as XP 64bit came pre installed, would that mean I would need to
    download the 32 bit drivers for all my original hardware if I reverted to XP
    Pro?

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTGVpZ2gtUGVtYmVydG9u?=, Nov 27, 2005
  4. "David Leigh-Pemberton" <>
    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > sorry - i'm almost completely useless with computers - by clean install I
    > presume you mean a complete wipe of everything on my computer (eg my
    > documents etc).
    >
    > Also, as XP 64bit came pre installed, would that mean I would need to
    > download the 32 bit drivers for all my original hardware if I reverted to
    > XP
    > Pro?

    You would have to copy your documents over to an other computer or store it
    on any external media, i.e. cd, usb-stick, ... , wipe your whole disk, buy a
    xp prof 32bit license, install xp prof, get 32bit drivers for all your
    hardware, install them and reinstall all your applications.

    Ralf Glauberman, Nov 27, 2005
  5. Yes, the entire hard disk has to be wiped out. What you can do is back up
    your data, to secondary storage, such as Blank disk or to a network location
    if possible. You will have to obtain drivers for your Acer to support 32 bit
    Windows since the ones provided with Acer were specifically for 64 bit
    Windows, shouldn't be a problem since Acer provides drivers on their
    website.

    http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/ferrari4000.html

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 27, 2005
  6. NO. The entire HD does NOT need to be wiped out. The Ferrari ships with 2
    partitions, C: and D:, each 50 Gb in size. The OP needs to wipe out C:, but
    can put all his "stuff" on D:. It will be fine.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 28, 2005
  7. The Ferrari comes with two partitions, a C: drive and a D: drive. You'll
    need to wipe out everything that is on the C: drive, but your D: drive
    should be OK. (the usual caveats, do a good backup first, of course!)

    You'll need a retail copy of Windows XP Professional. You should also
    download all the 32-bit drivers and utilities for the Ferrari from the Acer
    site ahead of time, and copy them onto your D: drive as well. Also, if you
    are attached to the screen saver (I am NOT), or the Ferrari sound (couldn't
    live without it), you'll want to copy them off of your C: drive as well,
    along with any documents and images you want to keep.

    Boot off the retail XP CD, and format your C: drive and install XP there.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 28, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTGVpZ2gtUGVtYmVydG9u?=

    t Guest

    You could use the partion software that is in windows x64 and partion your
    drive. Then install XP pro on the partion.
    I have done this because I also have busness software that does not work in
    x64 but does in XP pro.

    t, Nov 28, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTGVpZ2gtUGVtYmVydG9u?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Make careful you get the FULL retail license and not the upgrade license.

    John Barnes, Nov 28, 2005
  10. But thats what I said, back up the data to secondary storage, the only drive
    that needs to be wiped is the one Windows is on which is the most likely
    place he install his applications and data on.
    --

    > NO. The entire HD does NOT need to be wiped out. The Ferrari ships with 2
    > partitions, C: and D:, each 50 Gb in size. The OP needs to wipe out C:,
    > but can put all his "stuff" on D:. It will be fine.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >
    > Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    >> Yes, the entire hard disk has to be wiped out. What you can do is back up
    >> your data, to secondary storage, such as Blank disk or to a network
    >> location if possible. You will have to obtain drivers for your Acer to
    >> support 32 bit Windows since the ones provided with Acer were
    >> specifically for 64 bit Windows, shouldn't be a problem since Acer
    >> provides drivers on their website.
    >>
    >> http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/ferrari4000.html
    >>> sorry - i'm almost completely useless with computers - by clean install
    >>> presume you mean a complete wipe of everything on my computer (eg my
    >>> documents etc).
    >>>
    >>> Also, as XP 64bit came pre installed, would that mean I would need to
    >>> download the 32 bit drivers for all my original hardware if I reverted
    >>> XP

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 28, 2005
  11. correct.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 28, 2005
  12. Just bought a new computer preinstalled with Windows xp Pro x64 edition.
    Before doing so was assured it "runs all 32 bit apps no problem". Of course
    I attemtped to install the app I bought this box for and it failed b/c
    "cannot run with 64 bit version of windows".

    Do I basically have to wipe and re-install Standard XP pro, following the
    advice in this thread? (why all the noise about WOW64 and other stuff if this
    is basically hit or miss to discover if my key programs will run?)

    --
    Rick

    =?Utf-8?B?Um1vc2VsZXk=?=, Nov 28, 2005
  13. On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:31:41 -0800, "Rmoseley"
    <> wrote:

    >Just bought a new computer preinstalled with Windows xp Pro x64 edition.
    >Before doing so was assured it "runs all 32 bit apps no problem". Of course
    >I attemtped to install the app I bought this box for and it failed b/c
    >"cannot run with 64 bit version of windows".
    >
    >Do I basically have to wipe and re-install Standard XP pro, following the
    >advice in this thread? (why all the noise about WOW64 and other stuff if this
    >is basically hit or miss to discover if my key programs will run?)

    Not to give you a hard time but rather to warn those who follow, I
    would have taken the next step, before buying the x64 machine, of
    contacting the publisher of the critical program to insure that they
    confirmed it would run under Windows XP x64 or at least have a
    fallback of an XP 32bit machine on hand.

    J. Eric Durbin, Nov 28, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTGVpZ2gtUGVtYmVydG9u?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Sorry it doesn't work, but some do not, and Microsoft has not done anything
    about a designation for programs which DO run perfectly on x64. I would
    suggest you install a dual boot option and you can be ready as more programs
    and drivers become available. It has been slow so far.

    John Barnes, Nov 28, 2005
  15. Good advice on both counts, I should have known better. I've asked the
    software mfr for "a 64-bit driver", which I gleaned from another post is
    necessary when one's application requires a driver. Meantime I will proceed
    setting up a dual-boot option. Thanks.
    --
    Rick

    =?Utf-8?B?Um1vc2VsZXk=?=, Nov 28, 2005
  16. You could also install it in a Virtual environment using VM Ware Workstation
    5.5 or Microsoft Virtual Server Standard 2005 R2

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 28, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTGVpZ2gtUGVtYmVydG9u?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Andre.

    That's what you meant, but what you said was:

    >>> Yes, the entire hard disk has to be wiped out.

    Since David already claimed to be "almost completely useless with
    computers", he might not realize how loosely the term "drive" is used. :>{

    In this context, you meant to wipe the partition or logical drive, NOT the
    entire hard disk. Wipe out the first partition (C:) and leave the second
    partition (D) on the same hard disk intact.

    David, as the others have said, another alternative is to install WinXP x86
    (the 32-bit version) into D: and dual-boot until all the 64-bit drivers you
    need are available, then delete x86 if you like to reclaim the extra hard
    disk space. Most likely, your 64-bit and 32-bit programs will be able to
    share the same data (photos) and quite possibly most applications, too, so
    that you won't need space to duplicate all of those.

    Unfortunately, this violates the Golden Rule of dual-booting: Always
    install the newest Windows LAST. The newer version (x64) knows how to
    handle the older one, but x86 Setup knows nothing of x64, which wasn't even
    invented when the older CD was produced. So, after installing x86, you'll
    need to boot the Recovery Console from the x64 CD and run FixBoot to restore
    the newer versions of the startup files.

    I'm surprised to hear that any recent software won't run in x64. The only
    software that has given me problems are very old 16-bit programs. Hardware
    drivers, though, are definitely a problem! I have a Nikon camera, but it's
    only a COOLPIX since I'm about as "useless" with cameras as you claim to be
    with computers. I've not even tried to load the Nikon software in x64. I
    just use Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0, which runs fine.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    > But thats what I said, back up the data to secondary storage, the only
    > drive that needs to be wiped is the one Windows is on which is the most
    > likely place he install his applications and data on.
    > --
    > Andre

    >> NO. The entire HD does NOT need to be wiped out. The Ferrari ships with 2
    >> partitions, C: and D:, each 50 Gb in size. The OP needs to wipe out C:,
    >> but can put all his "stuff" on D:. It will be fine.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >>
    >> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    >>> Yes, the entire hard disk has to be wiped out. What you can do is back
    >>> up
    >>> your data, to secondary storage, such as Blank disk or to a network
    >>> location if possible. You will have to obtain drivers for your Acer to
    >>> support 32 bit Windows since the ones provided with Acer were
    >>> specifically for 64 bit Windows, shouldn't be a problem since Acer
    >>> provides drivers on their website.
    >>>
    >>> http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/ferrari4000.html

    <SNIP>

    R. C. White, Nov 28, 2005
  18. Yes this seems to be a good option. Tried do find and download but R2 doesn't
    appear to be out yet; available "early december". Can I do this with VSS 2005
    (not R2)? Seems like VSS R2 is/will be priced at $99, while VSS is currently
    priced at $499. Should I just try the 180 day eval version of Virtual Server
    Standard and see if it works until R2 is available?
    --
    Rick

    =?Utf-8?B?Um1vc2VsZXk=?=, Nov 28, 2005
  19. The Virtual Server 2005 trial edition presently available is not the R2 and
    won't run on x64. When it is available it will be identified with a
    prominent red R2.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 28, 2005
  20. Where is this x64 partition software exactly? Right now I have one OS (x64),
    and one volume (C:). Since I only have one volume, don't I have to reformat
    the volume / drive anyway in order to create two partitions and then install
    the two OSs? Or can I in effect keep x64 in place and carve out another
    partition, and then install XP Pro there?
    --
    Rick

    =?Utf-8?B?Um1vc2VsZXk=?=, Nov 29, 2005