    new one windows xp professional. He hates the new one. We got this computer
    mainly for big games.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?R2FicmllbGE=?=, Jan 30, 2006

  2. Sure Gabriela, just boot off your Windows XP Professional x86 (32-bit) disk,
    and during the text based portion of setup, choose the partition on which
    Windows XP Professional x64 (64-bit) is installed and continue, you will be
    prompted with a list of options formatting the partition, select a full
    format using NTFS.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 30, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?R2FicmllbGE=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    As long as it is the retail version and you are going to use it ONLY on 1
    machine. You may have to call in when activating it. If so, make sure they
    understand you are only going to use it on one machine.

    John Barnes, Jan 30, 2006
  4. Yeah, thats true, I just assumed its retail copy of XP Pro taking into
    consideration, most home computers come preinstalled with Home Edition and
    she said she installed XP Pro on that computer, so I assumed she owned a
    retail copy, but it makes sense to ensure its not OEM since that would be an
    issue activating on a system it was not licensed for.

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Let's be a bit clear here - if you're removing Windows XP from his old
    computer, then yes, you can install it on the new one. If you're going to
    continue to have and use his old computer, with the existing copy of Windows
    XP on it, then you need to buy a new copy of Windows XP.

    The installation is straightforward - insert the CD, boot from it and
    install. You could leave the existing x64 Edition on it, and dual boot to
    Windows XP on a separate partition (drive letter), details are covered on my
    blog, or you can format the hard drive and replace the existing x64 Edition.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 30, 2006