    licence/os?

    Thanks,

    Richard
    z3b3d33, Jul 16, 2006

  2. z3b3d33 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > A few months ago our company bought a 64bit server with Windows 2003
    > x64 Standard pre-installed by Dell. Recently we've decided we'd like to
    > used that server for Exchange (since the hardware is much better than
    > the current Exchange server), but have found out I'll have to wait till
    > Exchange 12 (whenever it may come) before we can do this. We still want
    > to move Exchange soon as the hardware Exchange currently runs on is
    > getting a bit old now. What options do i have? Will I have to buy the
    > 32 bit OS again and re-install or is there any way to downgrade the
    > licence/os?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Richard

    You'll have to purchase a 32-bit edition of Windows Server 2003 and
    perform a clean installation. There is no downgrade path.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 17, 2006

  3. No downgrade rights when you buy OEM (with one specific exception for XP to
    2000). OEM software is cheaper, but there are limitations involved, and
    this is one of them. You'll need to buy a 32-bit version of Server, I'm
    afraid.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 17, 2006
  4. "z3b3d33" <> wrote in

    > A few months ago our company bought a 64bit server with Windows
    > 2003 x64 Standard pre-installed by Dell. Recently we've decided
    > we'd like to used that server for Exchange (since the hardware is
    > much better than the current Exchange server), but have found out
    > I'll have to wait till Exchange 12 (whenever it may come) before
    > we can do this. We still want to move Exchange soon as the
    > hardware Exchange currently runs on is getting a bit old now. What
    > options do i have? Will I have to buy the 32 bit OS again and
    > re-install or is there any way to downgrade the licence/os?

    Maybe, maybe not. Contact Dell, they might be willing to provide you
    with the 32 bit OS, particularly if you're a good customer and they
    have hopes of doing a lot more business with your company.

    Understand, it would only be a good will gesture on Dell's part, not
    something they're obligated to do.
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 18, 2006