    scene alone outstripped the nude Austen Powers gag.)

    Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
    here hated it.

    Peter Briggs, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Peter Briggs

    Windbag1000 Guest

    >Haven't much seen anyone commenting on this. Watched it the other
    >night, and loved the hell out of it. Great fun. (The split-screen
    >scene alone outstripped the nude Austen Powers gag.)
    >
    >Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
    >here hated it.

    It seemed to love itself so much that I didn't have to -- and good thing, too,
    'cause I definitely hated it.

    Windbag1000, Oct 12, 2003

  3. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:19:26 +0100,
    pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote:

    >Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
    >here hated it.

    I walked out after 30 minutes. It's remarkable that it is passes
    itself off as a homage to Hudson-Day romantic comedies, yet seems to
    have been made by people have have never actually seen one.

    Hitman of Las Vegas, Oct 13, 2003
  4. Peter Briggs wrote:
    > Haven't much seen anyone commenting on this. Watched it the other
    > night, and loved the hell out of it. Great fun. (The split-screen
    > scene alone outstripped the nude Austen Powers gag.)
    >
    > Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
    > here hated it.

    I turned it off after 1hr and put in Pillow Talk instead. Why settle
    for cheap, needless imitations when you can watch the real thing. It
    didn't help that Zellweger and MacGregor had zero chemistry. I suspect
    the director was too interested in getting the sets right to bother
    about the actors or the script.

    Tallulah Blanket, Oct 13, 2003
  5. Peter Briggs

    Mark Guest

    The Wife and I loved it - suspend your disbelief and just enjoy it seems to
    be the trick.
    Mark.

    Mark, Oct 13, 2003
  6. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Mark <> wrote:

    > The Wife and I loved it - suspend your disbelief and just enjoy it seems to
    > be the trick.

    Ah, well. Three "hates" to 1 "love", so far. (Or, 2 if you count me!)

    Is this just a misunderstood film? People don't seem to get that it's
    really slyly pastiching the whole Hudson/Day genre?

    Peter Briggs, Oct 14, 2003
  7. Peter Briggs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > Is this just a misunderstood film? People don't seem to get that

    it's
    > really slyly pastiching the whole Hudson/Day genre?

    Slyly? Every frame of the movie screamed, "HEY, WE'RE SPOOFING DORIS DAY
    AND ROCK HUDSON!! AREN'T WE CLEVER?!"

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 14, 2003
  8. Peter Briggs

    anthony Guest

    Well, my wife and I have watched Pillow Talk half a dozen times at
    least, and we saw Down with Love as a really affectionate and witty
    take-off which didn't take away from the original in the least, and
    worked really well on its own terms.
    We really enjoyed Down with Love on the big screen, and we'll probably
    get it on DVD.

    anthony, Oct 15, 2003
  9. Peter Briggs wrote:
    > Mark <> wrote:
    >

    >>The Wife and I loved it - suspend your disbelief and just enjoy it seems to
    >>be the trick.

    > Ah, well. Three "hates" to 1 "love", so far. (Or, 2 if you count me!)
    >
    > Is this just a misunderstood film? People don't seem to get that it's
    > really slyly pastiching the whole Hudson/Day genre?

    No, we get it alright and that's the problem. It was beyond obvious and
    completely unnecessary, given that that Hudson-Day films were pretty
    good satires all on their own.

    Tallulah Blanket, Oct 15, 2003
  10. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Joshua Zyber <> wrote:

    > "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Is this just a misunderstood film? People don't seem to get that

    > it's
    > > really slyly pastiching the whole Hudson/Day genre?

    > Slyly? Every frame of the movie screamed, "HEY, WE'RE SPOOFING DORIS DAY
    > AND ROCK HUDSON!! AREN'T WE CLEVER?!"

    I didn't mean visually, Josh. (THAT much was obvious! I liked the
    stylized mattes, BTW)

    Peter Briggs, Oct 15, 2003
  11. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Tallulah Blanket <> wrote:

    > No, we get it alright and that's the problem. It was beyond obvious and
    > completely unnecessary, given that that Hudson-Day films were pretty
    > good satires all on their own.

    Personally, I always found them unwatchable....maybe that's why I
    enjoyed this so much!

    Peter Briggs, Oct 15, 2003
  12. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    anthony <> wrote:

    > Well, my wife and I have watched Pillow Talk half a dozen times at
    > least, and we saw Down with Love as a really affectionate and witty
    > take-off which didn't take away from the original in the least, and
    > worked really well on its own terms.
    > We really enjoyed Down with Love on the big screen, and we'll probably
    > get it on DVD.

    Worth it, just for the end title tune being presented separately!

    Peter Briggs, Oct 15, 2003
  13. Peter Briggs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > > > Is this just a misunderstood film? People don't seem to get that

    > > it's
    > > > really slyly pastiching the whole Hudson/Day genre?

    > > Slyly? Every frame of the movie screamed, "HEY, WE'RE SPOOFING DORIS

    DAY
    > > AND ROCK HUDSON!! AREN'T WE CLEVER?!"

    > I didn't mean visually, Josh. (

    Errr.... Then, what did you mean?

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 16, 2003
  14. Peter Briggs

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Peter Briggs wrote in
    <1g2qcb8.1u93bkaou7ywwN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk>:

    >Haven't much seen anyone commenting on this. Watched it the other
    >night, and loved the hell out of it. Great fun. (The split-screen
    >scene alone outstripped the nude Austen Powers gag.)
    >
    >Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
    >here hated it.

    It was super. Didn't I comment on this before? I thought we argued
    about whether or not Zellweger was miscast.

    Steve Hanson, Oct 16, 2003
  15. Peter Briggs

    Guest

    Peter Briggs wrote:
    > Anyone here have a different opinion? I'm curious to know if people
    > here hated it.

    We really wanted to like this movie. The photography, the colo(u)rs,
    the quality of actors; it just seemed right. It just never worked for
    my wife and I.
    The gags always seemed to be taken just a little farther than they
    required.
    A superficial parody of superficial movies makes it difficult to care
    for the outcome of any particular character.
    The two "sidekicks" were more enjoyable than the leads. Although Renee
    and Ewan did well with what they were given to do. Not to knock it all,
    some scenes went very well. I just didn't like the script.
    1.5 out of 4 (Stars, that is) IMHO

    Mike

    , Oct 16, 2003
  16. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Joshua Zyber <> wrote:

    > > I didn't mean visually, Josh. (

    > Errr.... Then, what did you mean?

    I think the best way to answer that is to listen to director Peyton
    Reed's first five minutes on the commentary track (which I listened to
    yesterday, and also thoroughly enjoyed.)

    Peter Briggs, Oct 16, 2003
  17. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Steve Hanson <> wrote:

    > It was super. Didn't I comment on this before? I thought we argued
    > about whether or not Zellweger was miscast.

    You did, we did. But, by that token you could argue that McGregor was
    similarly miscast for being no "Rock". You just have to take this
    movie's (un)reality as being its own.

    (And, again, I loved Zelwegger in this...although it looked as if she'd
    put on a couple of pounds since Chicago. Maybe the "Down With Love,
    Stage 3, Chocolate Diet"? <g>)

    Very worrying. I watched it with a girlfriend, and she turned to me and
    said: "Oh, YOU'RE Catcher Block". I may have to reappraise my image...

    Peter Briggs, Oct 16, 2003
  18. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    <> wrote:

    > I just didn't like the script.

    That's funny -- I loved the script!

    Peter Briggs, Oct 16, 2003
  19. Peter Briggs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > (And, again, I loved Zelwegger in this...although it looked as if

    she'd
    > put on a couple of pounds since Chicago. Maybe the "Down With Love,
    > Stage 3, Chocolate Diet"? <g>)

    More likely the "They're paying me $20 million to put on weight for
    Bridget Jones 2" diet.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 16, 2003
  20. Peter Briggs

    Guest

    Peter Briggs wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just didn't like the script.

    > That's funny -- I loved the script!

    Well, that's nice. Of course it could have been the direction.
    Something just didn't click for me and it was time spent with something
    not quite worthy of the time (uh, spent!).

    I often enjoy what you have to say about movies, I'm just surprised that
    I don't enjoy more of your choices. I would give examples but I
    wouldn't want to be a daredevil.

    Mike

    , Oct 16, 2003