    other malware behind, so I was annoyed when DoubleClick popped up
    yesterday while browsing. Am I as secure as I had hoped?? Thanks,

    dave
    dave, Jan 3, 2006

  2. dave

    Bit Twister Guest

    On 3 Jan 2006 02:28:24 -0800, dave wrote:
    > Hi, all,
    >
    > Got rid of M$h*t on an IBM T21 Laptop and installed Linux, connecting
    > via home Verizon DSL. I thought I had left the world of spyware and
    > other malware behind,

    You did.

    > so I was annoyed when DoubleClick popped up yesterday while browsing.

    You can disable java* and popups in Firefox.

    > Am I as secure as I had hoped??

    Yes.

    Want to knock out ads? Add the ad's url to your host file with a
    bitbucket ip address. Snippet from mine.
    $ head /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.2.1 fw.home.invalid fw
    192.168.2.10 wb.home.invalid wb
    127.0.0.2 unknown.Level3.net
    127.0.0.2 008i.com
    127.0.0.2 008k.com
    127.0.0.2 00hq.com #[Adware.Winshow][Parasite.Winshow]
    127.0.0.2 0190-dialer.com
    127.0.0.2 01.sharedsource.org
    127.0.0.2 03.sharedsource.org #[UDConnect Class]

    Current line count of my hosts
    $ wc -l /etc/hosts
    5253 /etc/hosts

    Want a few ad urls.

    http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
    Bit Twister, Jan 3, 2006

  3. dave

    edouble Guest

    "dave" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, all,
    >
    > Got rid of M$h*t on an IBM T21 Laptop and installed Linux,connecting
    > via home Verizon DSL. I thought I had left the world of spyware and
    > other malware behind,

    u just had to change browser not OS

    so I was annoyed when DoubleClick popped up
    > yesterday while browsing. Am I as secure as I had hoped?? Thanks,

    what sites do u visit more frequently? porn and warez hu?

    edouble, Jan 3, 2006
  4. dave

    gilly Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 05:19:06 -0600, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On 3 Jan 2006 02:28:24 -0800, dave wrote:
    >> Hi, all,
    >>
    >> Got rid of M$h*t on an IBM T21 Laptop and installed Linux, connecting
    >> via home Verizon DSL. I thought I had left the world of spyware and
    >> other malware behind,

    > You did.
    >
    >> so I was annoyed when DoubleClick popped up yesterday while browsing.

    You could allways install Privoxy it will remove all adds.

    HTH
    gilly, Jan 3, 2006
  5. dave

    dave Guest

    > what sites do u visit more frequently? porn and warez hu?

    No, I am a working scientist, and I most frequently visit GenBank,
    PubMed, etc etc. I don't know what "warez" is; and I haven't
    done porn since early days of net, when, just for fun, I used to
    download an occasional uuencoded .gif, and then uudecode it
    just for fun (under DOS).

    dave
    dave, Jan 4, 2006
  6. dave

    Todd H. Guest

    "dave" <> writes:

    > > what sites do u visit more frequently? porn and warez hu?

    > No, I am a working scientist, and I most frequently visit GenBank,
    > PubMed, etc etc. I don't know what "warez" is; and I haven't
    > done porn since early days of net, when, just for fun, I used to
    > download an occasional uuencoded .gif, and then uudecode it
    > just for fun (under DOS).
    >
    > dave

    Dave don't let that silly comment rattle ya. FYI warez is leet' speak
    for pirated/cracked software.

    That a web browser can infect your machine via an untrusted site
    having exploit code embedded into it is a security problem, period.
    So I sympathize with ya!

    Anyone like eDouble who takes a "blaming the victim" tack on these
    issues really doesn't "get" the whole point of pursuing security for a
    given network application. Then again, it's a lot easier and takes
    less intellectual effort to just blame the victim and offer no real
    solution or answer to a given problem.

    But this is the foundation of most usenet participation. :cool:

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/