    Thanks,
    Federico
    , Jan 16, 2008

  2. Brian V Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    > I use Cisco VPN client at work to connect to:
    > 1. the *production* network, when I am in office
    > 2. the *office* network, when I am out of office.
    >
    > Sometimes I need to connect to the production network when I am out of
    > office. Ideally, I would like to connect to VPN 2 and then to VPN 1
    > (i.e. a VPN within another VPN).
    > Is this feature supported by Cisco VPN client?
    > [apparently, Windows XP integrated IPsec supports it, but then Windows
    > XP does not support group authentication, which I need]
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Federico

    No, you can only have 1 VPN connection per PC at a time. What you "could" do
    is vpn to your office network then RDP to a PC then VPN from that PC to the
    production network. Thats assuming split tunneling is enabled, if split
    tunneling is not enable you obviously can't do that since you will loose
    connection to the PC.
    Brian V, Jan 16, 2008

  3. Guest

    On 16 Gen, 14:59, "Brian V" <> wrote:
    > No, you can only have 1 VPN connection per PC at a time. What you "could" do
    > is vpn to your office network then RDP to a PC then VPN from that PC to the
    > production network. Thats assuming split tunneling is enabled, if split
    > tunneling is not enable you obviously can't do that since you will loose
    > connection to the PC.

    Hello Brian,
    thanks for your reply.

    I am thinking if I could work around the limit of 1 VPN connection per
    PC:
    1. I install VMware and a WindowsXP guest within my WindowsXP PC
    2. I connect to the "outer" VPN with my "real" PC
    3. I connect to the "inner" VPN with my "virtual" PC
    4. I reach the "inner" VPN with my "real PC" by playing with the
    routing tables

    Of course I will need to setup the virtual networking between my host
    and guest PCs in a clever way. Maybe I need both a NAT and a host-only
    network between the two.

    Any thought?

    Thanks,
    Federico
    , Jan 18, 2008
  4. Brian V Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On 16 Gen, 14:59, "Brian V" <> wrote:
    >> No, you can only have 1 VPN connection per PC at a time. What you "could"
    >> do
    >> is vpn to your office network then RDP to a PC then VPN from that PC to
    >> the
    >> production network. Thats assuming split tunneling is enabled, if split
    >> tunneling is not enable you obviously can't do that since you will loose
    >> connection to the PC.

    > Hello Brian,
    > thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I am thinking if I could work around the limit of 1 VPN connection per
    > PC:
    > 1. I install VMware and a WindowsXP guest within my WindowsXP PC
    > 2. I connect to the "outer" VPN with my "real" PC
    > 3. I connect to the "inner" VPN with my "virtual" PC
    > 4. I reach the "inner" VPN with my "real PC" by playing with the
    > routing tables
    >
    > Of course I will need to setup the virtual networking between my host
    > and guest PCs in a clever way. Maybe I need both a NAT and a host-only
    > network between the two.
    >
    > Any thought?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Federico

    VMware still uses the hosts NIC cards, they do not have their own, they are
    virtual. When you install the VPN client it "shims" the TCP/IP stack. You
    will still run in to only one VPN sesion per host. Do you have another
    PC/Laptop available to you?
    Brian V, Jan 18, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Jan 18, 11:40 am, "" <> wrote:
    > On 16 Gen, 14:59, "Brian V" <> wrote:
    >
    > > No, you can only have 1 VPN connection per PC at a time. What you "could" do
    > > is vpn to your office network then RDP to a PC then VPN from that PC to the
    > > production network. Thats assuming split tunneling is enabled, if split
    > > tunneling is not enable you obviously can't do that since you will loose
    > > connection to the PC.

    > Hello Brian,
    > thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I am thinking if I could work around the limit of 1 VPN connection per
    > PC:
    > 1. I install VMware and a WindowsXP guest within my WindowsXP PC
    > 2. I connect to the "outer" VPN with my "real" PC
    > 3. I connect to the "inner" VPN with my "virtual" PC
    > 4. I reach the "inner" VPN with my "real PC" by playing with the
    > routing tables
    >
    > Of course I will need to setup the virtual networking between my host
    > and guest PCs in a clever way. Maybe I need both a NAT and a host-only
    > network between the two.
    >
    > Any thought?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Federico

    hehe, nice idea, and it can work.

    I solve the problem with a cheep pix501 from eb@y. Thats fine for me
    because i don't need to open any vpn connection, the pix do all, but
    you need a fix IP address, maybe, that can be a problem in your
    country.

    cu
    , Jan 19, 2008