Double-click Word doc; prompts me for regexrename.exe (Word 2003; Win2000)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by L Mehl, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Hello --

    When I double-click on a .doc file I receive the following in a dialog box:

    Program Not Found
    -------
    Windows cannot find regexrename.exe

    This program is needed for opening files
    of type 'DOC File'.

    Location of regexrename.exe:
    c:\______________

    If I start Word first and then open the doc file, the file opens OK.

    I recall installing regexrename.exe, which I used for bulk renaming of
    files.

    Does anyone know how it might now be "related" to .doc files?

    Thanks for any help.

    Larry Mehl
    L Mehl, Apr 10, 2006

  2. L Mehl

    beenthere Guest

    "L Mehl" <> wrote in message
    > Hello --
    >
    > When I double-click on a .doc file I receive the following in a dialog
    > box:

    > Program Not Found
    > -------
    > Windows cannot find regexrename.exe
    >
    > This program is needed for opening files
    > of type 'DOC File'.
    >
    > Location of regexrename.exe:
    > c:\______________
    >
    > If I start Word first and then open the doc file, the file opens OK.
    >

    > I recall installing regexrename.exe, which I used for bulk renaming of
    > files.
    >
    > Does anyone know how it might now be "related" to .doc files?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Larry Mehl

    Assign Word to open `.doc` files. Rt\click on a `.doc` file, open with,
    and tick the box to always open this with.
    At the moment the files are assigned to open with regexname.exe.
    beenthere, Apr 10, 2006

  3. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    beenthere --

    Thanks. I see no check box for "always". Is that a Win XP feature?

    In Explorer > Tools > Options > File Types
    doc files are set to open with Word.

    Larry

    L Mehl, Apr 10, 2006