    I plan to implement windows server 2003 supporting win 2k and xp clients

    any advice or help would be grately appreciated...just need to double check
    with you guys on your recommendations and advice on how to go about it

    Lisandro, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Lisandro

    Herb Martin Guest

    "Lisandro" <> wrote in message
    news:#Y$...
    > I plan to implement a network in my uncles office.. simple client/server
    > infrastructure. The main purpose for the network is for hosting the
    > company's website....and be able to have its own email system. I need to

    be
    > able to send hundreds of emails to prospective clients.

    First, this isn't really an MCSA question although you might find help on
    this group;
    likely you would receive more focused assistance on a "networking" or
    "email"
    newsgroup.

    > Basically bulk email.

    Not everyone wants to help setup more spammers. So you might clarify the
    purpose, whether this is a mailing list of your own clients or whatever....

    > Is it there anything else i might be missing or do i have to
    > outsource for this in order to do bulk mail.

    You might be missing an email server? Which one do you plan to use? What
    OS will you use it on?

    > This solution wouldnt be so
    > cost effective if i cant bulk mail. Would my ISP put restrictions on my
    > connection ...or is it a matter of the capacity of my server?

    Depends on whether you are spamming or sending to legitimate clients and
    willing contacts.

    > I plan to implement windows server 2003 supporting win 2k and xp clients

    This is a realatively simple part. You will likely want to run an
    inexpensive email
    server like FTGate or a not too expensive "list server" like Lyris but these
    are
    just my personal choices.

    > any advice or help would be grately appreciated...just need to double

    check
    > with you guys on your recommendations and advice on how to go about it

    Probably if you have to ask you haven't even considered the DNS, nor the POP
    server
    for inbound email....

    --
    Herb Martin

    Herb Martin, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Lisandro

    James Martin Guest

    First off, if you're planning on doing bulk-email, I highly suggest you get
    legal advice, as there are some very restrictive new laws in place (US) that
    will quickly shut down your uncle's entire business if not followed.

    If you are hosting a website, outsourcing is the way to go for a small
    business. For $100 or less a year you'll get plenty of storage space and
    bandwidth, plus they're often scalable and they'll guarantee uptime. Your
    standard DSL/Cable modem connection won't cut it, as they are often severely
    limited in the upload speeds, and real solutions will cost you much more
    than outsourcing. (People don't outsource for fun, it makes good economic
    sense.)

    James Martin, Feb 11, 2004