dot1q tunneling

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Curtis M. West, May 6, 2006.

  1. hello ng

    we'd like to link two sites together.
    we ordered a lan-link from a service-
    provider - but this sp can only provide
    an "access port" on both sites and we
    would like to have multiple vlans linked.
    (best would be a trunkport).

    reading on cisco.com i learned that
    dot1q tunneling (maybe in conjunction
    with l2 protocol tunneling) would be
    the way to go.

    BUT: as far as i understand, the
    SERVICE PROVIDER needs to
    have the equipment that supports
    dot1q tunneling and set its port
    to "tunnel port", so that we can
    set our side to "trunk port"....
    unfortunately, the service provider
    does not seem to have dot1q
    tunneling capable devices...

    is there also another possibility, so
    that we can transport multiple vlans?
    can WE (as the customer) encapsulate
    the packets anyhow so that we can
    transport multiple vlans over one vlan?

    thank you for any help in advance!
    greetz, curtis

    Curtis M. West, May 6, 2006

  2. On 06.05.2006 10:38 Curtis M. West wrote

    > hello ng
    >
    > we'd like to link two sites together.
    > we ordered a lan-link from a service-
    > provider - but this sp can only provide
    > an "access port" on both sites and we
    > would like to have multiple vlans linked.
    > (best would be a trunkport).
    >
    > reading on cisco.com i learned that
    > dot1q tunneling (maybe in conjunction
    > with l2 protocol tunneling) would be
    > the way to go.
    >
    > BUT: as far as i understand, the
    > SERVICE PROVIDER needs to
    > have the equipment that supports
    > dot1q tunneling and set its port
    > to "tunnel port", so that we can
    > set our side to "trunk port"....
    > unfortunately, the service provider
    > does not seem to have dot1q
    > tunneling capable devices...
    >
    > is there also another possibility, so
    > that we can transport multiple vlans?
    > can WE (as the customer) encapsulate
    > the packets anyhow so that we can
    > transport multiple vlans over one vlan?

    L2TP may be what you are looking for. Have a look at
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns588/networking_solutions_white_paper09186a008017fa6e.shtml

    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45

    Arnold Nipper, May 6, 2006