  1. How do you open a DOS window in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition?
    Thanks,
    Stanj
    =?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbmo=?=, May 25, 2006

  2. Stanj:
    Press Start, Run, cmd <ENTER> and you'll get a DOS-like windows.
    You will not be able to run 16-bit apps there.
    It's just a command-line window, but that's as close as it gets to 16-bit DOS.
    DOS programs can be run only on a Virtual Machine or using a program that
    has been mentioned here: DOSBox (never tried it).
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 25, 2006

  3. As Carlos says, the same way you've always opened a "DOS" windows in XP -
    Either Start->Run and type in cmd and press enter. Or use the short cut under
    all programs, accessories.

    Like all versions of Windows since Windows 2000, this is NOT a "DOS" window,
    but does have many of the characteristics of a DOS window. However, in 64bit
    versions of Windows, this window will not run 16 bit DOS applications. The
    way to run 16 bit applications is to use Virtual Server or VMWare to open a
    virtual machine with a suitable operating system in it. I have a little VM
    that runs Windows 98 for just this purpose.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 25, 2006
  4. "I have a little VM that runs Windows 98 for just this purpose."

    Why not Windows ME? :)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 25, 2006
  5. Personally, I could never get Windows ME to work properly.
    It was a freezing, BSOD OS.
    I also have a little VM running Windows 98SE as Charlie does.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 25, 2006
  6. One neat trick I've found is to click the 'Start Menu', go to 'Accessories'
    and there you'll find 'Command Prompt' with a little icon - if you
    right-click this icon, a menu item 'Send To' appears and there you can
    create a desktop shortcut that puts the icon of the terminal on your
    desktop, you can then high-lite the icon text and rename it to anything you
    want. Very handy, I don't like to go rummage around for that thing when I
    need it.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 25, 2006
  7. Never had a problem with it until a Virus took it away, didn't see much
    differences so I formatted and went back to 98 SE.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 25, 2006
  8. I pin it to my start menu, AND have it in quick launch. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 25, 2006
  9. You know what I think of Me. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    > "I have a little VM that runs Windows 98 for just this purpose."
    >
    > Why not Windows ME? :)
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    >> As Carlos says, the same way you've always opened a "DOS" windows in XP -
    >> Either Start->Run and type in cmd and press enter. Or use the short cut
    >> under all programs, accessories.
    >>
    >> Like all versions of Windows since Windows 2000, this is NOT a "DOS"
    >> window, but does have many of the characteristics of a DOS window.
    >> However, in 64bit versions of Windows, this window will not run 16 bit
    >> DOS applications. The way to run 16 bit applications is to use Virtual
    >> Server or VMWare to open a virtual machine with a suitable operating
    >> system in it. I have a little VM that runs Windows 98 for just this
    >> purpose.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    >> ======================
    >> Charlie Russel - MVP
    >> NFS Authentication issues? See:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/unix/sfu/nfsauth.mspx
    >> RSH Problems? See:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/unix/sfu/sfu35rsh.mspx
    >>

    >> Stanj wrote:
    >>> How do you open a DOS window in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Stanj

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 25, 2006
  10. Thank you all
    Stanj

    =?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbmo=?=, May 25, 2006
  11. Yes, that is an option too, but I tend to reserve Quick Launch for heavier
    type of app's, the terminal is so slim - isn't that a bit. . .well,
    wastefull? I understand the QL consumes some serious resources. I know so do
    the Desktop Icons, but I try not to have too many of those around either. It
    sits so conveniently just benieth the computer icon at the moment and few of
    the windows I open need to cover that area.

    Tony. . .

    >I pin it to my start menu, AND have it in quick launch. :)
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >
    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    >> One neat trick I've found is to click the 'Start Menu', go to
    >> 'Accessories' and there you'll find 'Command Prompt' with a little icon -
    >> if you right-click this icon, a menu item 'Send To' appears and there you
    >> can create a desktop shortcut that puts the icon of the terminal on your
    >> desktop, you can then high-lite the icon text and rename it to anything
    >> you want. Very handy, I don't like to go rummage around for that thing
    >> when I need it.
    >>

    >> Tony. . .
    >>

    >> "Stanj" <> wrote in message
    >>> How do you open a DOS window in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Stanj

    Tony Sperling, May 25, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbmo=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Jud Hendrix, May 25, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbmo=?=

    Drew Guest

    Or add it to the right-click menu in Windows Explorer to get a command
    prompt open to the
    clicked on folder.

    Drew

    >I pin it to my start menu, AND have it in quick launch. :)
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >
    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    >> One neat trick I've found is to click the 'Start Menu', go to
    >> 'Accessories' and there you'll find 'Command Prompt' with a little icon -
    >> if you right-click this icon, a menu item 'Send To' appears and there you
    >> can create a desktop shortcut that puts the icon of the terminal on your
    >> desktop, you can then high-lite the icon text and rename it to anything
    >> you want. Very handy, I don't like to go rummage around for that thing
    >> when I need it.
    >>

    >> Tony. . .
    >>

    >> "Stanj" <> wrote in message
    >>> How do you open a DOS window in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Stanj

    Drew, May 25, 2006
  14. Quite! I actually downloaded this one, but I never got around to installing
    it, don't know why - this is a brilliant thing if it works. I'll report back
    in the morning.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 25, 2006
  15. yes, a useful addition, and one I usually do.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2006
  16. Now see, I use quick launch for things I do ALL the time. So there is IE,
    OE, and outlook. Then Word, and a Windows Explorer window. Then a command
    window, a PowerShell window and Media Player. Finally, a VMWare Server, a
    Virtual Server and a Remote Desktop (mstsc.exe /console) link.

    That, plus DQSD running on the taskbar gets me 95% of everything I do. The
    rest, I use the menus for.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2006
  17. Tony:
    This is the contents of the cmdhere.inf file.
    ;
    ; "CMD Prompt Here" PowerToy
    ;
    ; Copyright 1996 Microsoft Corporation
    ;
    [version]
    signature="$CHICAGO$"

    [CmdHereInstall]
    CopyFiles = CmdHere.Files.Inf
    AddReg = CmdHere.Reg

    [DefaultInstall]
    CopyFiles = CmdHere.Files.Inf
    AddReg = CmdHere.Reg

    [DefaultUnInstall]
    DelFiles = CmdHere.Files.Inf
    DelReg = CmdHere.Reg

    [SourceDisksNames]
    55="CMD Prompt Here","",1

    [SourceDisksFiles]
    CmdHere.INF=55

    [DestinationDirs]
    CmdHere.Files.Inf = 17

    [CmdHere.Files.Inf]
    CmdHere.INF

    [CmdHere.Reg]
    HKLM,%UDHERE%,DisplayName,,"%CmdHereName%"
    HKLM,%UDHERE%,UninstallString,,"rundll32.exe
    syssetup.dll,SetupInfObjectInstallAction DefaultUninstall 132
    %17%\CmdHere.inf"
    HKCR,Directory\Shell\CmdHere,,,"%CmdHereAccel%"
    HKCR,Directory\Shell\CmdHere\command,,,"%11%\cmd.exe /k cd ""%1"""
    HKCR,Drive\Shell\CmdHere,,,"%CmdHereAccel%"
    HKCR,Drive\Shell\CmdHere\command,,,"%11%\cmd.exe /k cd ""%1"""

    [Strings]
    CmdHereName="CMD Prompt Here PowerToy"
    CmdHereAccel="CMD &Prompt Here"
    UDHERE="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CmdHere"

    Save it and install it.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 26, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbmo=?=

    mwoehlke Guest

    Tony Sperling wrote:
    > Yes, that is an option too, but I tend to reserve Quick Launch for heavier
    > type of app's, the terminal is so slim - isn't that a bit. . .well,
    > wastefull? I understand the QL consumes some serious resources. I know so do
    > the Desktop Icons, but I try not to have too many of those around either.

    ....I wasn't aware that a mere shortcut consumed "serious resources"? Do
    you remember where you heard that?

    --
    Matthew
    mwoehlke, May 26, 2006
  19. Well, not the short cut - but the icons do, it is quite well known, I think.
    Specifically things that you put in the system tray and the quick launch, I
    suspect it has more to do with supporting the icon to tap into the event
    system, than the effort of displaying the image.

    The only reference I can remember, may be:

    http://www.blackviper.com/index.html

    and that seems to be down for the moment.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 26, 2006
  20. =?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbmo=?=

    mwoehlke Guest

    Tony Sperling wrote:
    > "mwoehlke" wrote:
    >> Tony Sperling wrote:
    >>> Yes, that is an option too, but I tend to reserve Quick Launch for
    >>> heavier type of app's, the terminal is so slim - isn't that a bit. .
    >>> .well, wastefull? I understand the QL consumes some serious resources. I
    >>> know so do the Desktop Icons, but I try not to have too many of those
    >>> around either.

    >> ...I wasn't aware that a mere shortcut consumed "serious resources"? Do
    >> you remember where you heard that?

    > Well, not the short cut - but the icons do, it is quite well known, I think.
    > Specifically things that you put in the system tray and the quick launch, I
    > suspect it has more to do with supporting the icon to tap into the event
    > system, than the effort of displaying the image.

    Ok, that makes sense, thanks... I wonder if it's more /problematic/ on
    9x kernels, though. I've never seemed to have problems, and my QL is
    pretty hefty (you don't want to *know* how many icons are on my
    desktop!). It takes a while to settle when the desktop becomes
    *visible*, but doesn't seem to affect performance - or stability - at
    other times. OTOH, can't blame you for not wanting to take the risk ;-).
    mwoehlke, May 26, 2006