    mcp6453 Guest

    Is there a way to build a file server with DOS that is accessible with
    Windows networking?

    mcp6453, Jan 17, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > Is there a way to build a file server with DOS that is accessible with
    > Windows networking?

    I don't have an answer, but can I ask why?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 17, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > mcp6453 <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > Is there a way to build a file server with DOS that is accessible with
    > > Windows networking?
    > >

    > I don't have an answer, but can I ask why?

    Partly out of curiosity, but also because a simple file server on a P2P
    network doesn't need any smarts. A DOS-only server would be faster and
    more reliable than a 98 or 2000 machine, I'd bet.

    mcp6453, Jan 17, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 08:35:08 -0500, mcp6453 <> wrote:

    >Is there a way to build a file server with DOS that is accessible with
    >Windows networking?

    Yes, using win3.11 as the base.
    Why not linux?

    derek / nul, Jan 17, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    derek / nul wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 08:35:08 -0500, mcp6453 <> wrote:
    >
    > >Is there a way to build a file server with DOS that is accessible with
    > >Windows networking?

    > Yes, using win3.11 as the base.
    > Why not linux?

    One day I will learn Linux. It is definitely a goal. However, my first
    experience was not a good one. Never could get the right drivers for my
    video card. Moreover, I didn't know what Samba was and still don't
    really know.

    mcp6453, Jan 18, 2004