    Thanks,
    Thomas Carraway
    Passed CompTIA A+ exams Dec 16, 2003

    T. Hardy, Jan 18, 2004

  2. T. Hardy

    MF Guest

    try a program like partition magic (power quest) Norton Ghost
    (Symantec) or drive image (power quest) to clone his original hard
    drive to the new one. They copy the info on the original sector by
    sector, bit by bit. this may preserve whatever was in the original in
    order to make it functional. may is the operative word.

    suggest he get any other program than the one he has, since the mfgr
    seems intent on screwing him.

    tell him to call the mfgr and start screaming at them.

    good luck, and leave that company behind.

    Mike

    "T. Hardy" <> wrote in message
    > I have a customer that runs a video rental, The main hard drive was

    going
    > out so I put in a new one, He is running windows 98 but his video

    rental
    > software is DOS.
    > When I copy the"Dos" program over to the new hard drive, it loses

    its
    > registration and only works in Demo mode.
    > He called the company that makes it and they told him that the

    program
    > encrypts itself to the hard drive. They will put the program on the

    New
    > Hard Drive for $1500.00
    > If I used a program like winimage and made an image of the folder

    and
    > then extracted the image to the new hard drive, would that copy

    over the
    > encryption also. I know the registration wouldn't be in the Registry

    because
    > DOS didn't have a registry. Currently he is still running the

    program from
    > the Hard drive that is getting bad sectors daily. I kept it in the

    computer

    MF, Jan 18, 2004

  3. T. Hardy

    T. Hardy Guest

    May have to try that, The OS on the old hard drive is shot, It just so
    happens that the program is actually running from it with bad sectors all
    around it, once it writes to one of the bad ones, it is all over I imagine.
    I have Norton Ghost, I guess I will give it a whirl.

    T. Hardy, Jan 18, 2004
  4. T. Hardy

    D V. Brown Guest

    "T. Hardy" <> wrote in message
    > May have to try that, The OS on the old hard drive is shot, It just so
    > happens that the program is actually running from it with bad sectors all
    > around it, once it writes to one of the bad ones, it is all over I

    imagine.
    > I have Norton Ghost, I guess I will give it a whirl.

    Just a thought, but you might want to run scandisk and have it check the
    physical drive so that the bad sectors may be marked as bad. Ghost may fail
    if it tries to coppy from a bad sector.

    Good luck.

    D V. Brown, Jan 20, 2004
  5. T. Hardy

    T. Hardy Guest

    I just now got Norton Ghost. I guess I will give it a whirl. I ran scandisk
    so it would mark the bad sectors. I am afraid of what ghost will do when I
    hits one..
    This video program he uses does backups of the databases as .dbf files.
    I wish I knew of a windows video program that could read the backup files of
    this dos program. I think he needs to find some new software.

    T. Hardy, Jan 21, 2004