    the LPT1 to the DOT4? Any other suggestions?

    TIA
    Bob S.
    Bob S., May 10, 2004

  2. Bob S.

    Jerry G. Guest

    This is an interesting question. The LPT port is probably being addressed
    directly to hardware of the printer port in your DOS program. If in the code
    of the program, if it was commanded to go generically to the printer, then
    it would most likely be re-directed by Windows.

    Have you tried running the DOS program as a window within the Windows
    system, and not as an independent program from a DOS boot, or DOS shell?

    The closest program I know in DOS that would work from a batch file is the
    MODE command. It can reroute COM's and printer ports to each other. Below is
    the instructions listing for the mode command. This will come up with the
    command MODE /?

    =========

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\gerry>mode/?
    Configures system devices.

    Serial port: MODE COMm[:] [BAUD=b] [PARITY=p] [DATA=d] [STOP=s]
    [to=on|off] [xon=on|off] [odsr=on|off]
    [octs=on|off] [dtr=on|off|hs]
    [rts=on|off|hs|tg] [idsr=on|off]

    Device Status: MODE [device] [/STATUS]

    Redirect printing: MODE LPTn[:]=COMm[:]

    Select code page: MODE CON[:] CP SELECT=yyy

    Code page status: MODE CON[:] CP [/STATUS]

    Display mode: MODE CON[:] [COLS=c] [LINES=n]

    Typematic rate: MODE CON[:] [RATE=r DELAY=d]

    C:\Documents and Settings\gerry>

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    "Bob S." <> wrote in message
    My OS is 98SE and my printer is a HP750.

    I can print from all windows applications but cannot print from DOS.
    DOS seems to be looking for a printer connected to the LPT port, but
    the HP750 is a USB device on a "port" called DOT4.

    Is there any line command for the autoexec.bat file that will redirect

    Jerry G., May 10, 2004

  3. Bob S.

    Trent© Guest

    On 10 May 2004 15:08:08 -0700, (Bob S.) wrote:

    >My OS is 98SE and my printer is a HP750.
    >
    >I can print from all windows applications but cannot print from DOS.
    >DOS seems to be looking for a printer connected to the LPT port, but
    >the HP750 is a USB device on a "port" called DOT4.
    >
    >Is there any line command for the autoexec.bat file that will redirect
    >the LPT1 to the DOT4? Any other suggestions?
    >
    >TIA
    >Bob S.

    Go into the printer setup and capture the printer port.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, May 11, 2004
  4. Bob S.

    Art Leonard Guest

    Lo, This is a problem that I encounter frequently at work. When the printer
    driver is installed initially every HP driver I have ever seen ask the
    question..... Do you want to print from dos programs?........once answered
    "no" that is pretty much the end of that possibility. So I simply remove
    the printer then reinstall after a reboot. The driver comes up again and
    this time say yes to print from dos question. It also helps to select
    .............Do not Spool Dos print Jobs.......... from the printer set up
    page. Otherwise you will have windows and dos fighting over the control of
    the printer. The redirection from dos is automatic and no external commands
    are needed.

    Oops! I just noticed that it is a usb device... Do you have usb control in
    dos??? Try running your dos app in a windowed environment and I bet the
    above will work.

    Good Luck
    Art Leonard

    Art Leonard, May 11, 2004
  5. Bob S.

    Robert Baer Guest

    "Bob S." wrote:

    > My OS is 98SE and my printer is a HP750.
    >
    > I can print from all windows applications but cannot print from DOS.
    > DOS seems to be looking for a printer connected to the LPT port, but
    > the HP750 is a USB device on a "port" called DOT4.
    >
    > Is there any line command for the autoexec.bat file that will redirect
    > the LPT1 to the DOT4? Any other suggestions?
    >
    > TIA
    > Bob S.

    DOS does not support USB, FireWire, or any other modern protocols
    (never did).
    And i doubt that there are any TSRs or drivers, as the market is so
    dinky.
    Robert Baer, May 11, 2004
  6. Bob S.

    Robert Baer Guest

    "Jerry G." wrote:

    > This is an interesting question. The LPT port is probably being addressed
    > directly to hardware of the printer port in your DOS program. If in the code
    > of the program, if it was commanded to go generically to the printer, then
    > it would most likely be re-directed by Windows.
    >
    > Have you tried running the DOS program as a window within the Windows
    > system, and not as an independent program from a DOS boot, or DOS shell?
    >
    > The closest program I know in DOS that would work from a batch file is the
    > MODE command. It can reroute COM's and printer ports to each other. Below is
    > the instructions listing for the mode command. This will come up with the
    > command MODE /?
    >
    > =========
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    > (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\gerry>mode/?
    > Configures system devices.
    >
    > Serial port: MODE COMm[:] [BAUD=b] [PARITY=p] [DATA=d] [STOP=s]
    > [to=on|off] [xon=on|off] [odsr=on|off]
    > [octs=on|off] [dtr=on|off|hs]
    > [rts=on|off|hs|tg] [idsr=on|off]
    >
    > Device Status: MODE [device] [/STATUS]
    >
    > Redirect printing: MODE LPTn[:]=COMm[:]
    >
    > Select code page: MODE CON[:] CP SELECT=yyy
    >
    > Code page status: MODE CON[:] CP [/STATUS]
    >
    > Display mode: MODE CON[:] [COLS=c] [LINES=n]
    >
    > Typematic rate: MODE CON[:] [RATE=r DELAY=d]
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\gerry>
    >
    > --
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    > WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
    > Electronics http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm
    >
    > "Bob S." <> wrote in message
    > My OS is 98SE and my printer is a HP750.
    >
    > I can print from all windows applications but cannot print from DOS.
    > DOS seems to be looking for a printer connected to the LPT port, but
    > the HP750 is a USB device on a "port" called DOT4.
    >
    > Is there any line command for the autoexec.bat file that will redirect
    > the LPT1 to the DOT4? Any other suggestions?
    >
    > TIA
    > Bob S.

    Your info is useless; look carefully = you will never find any info
    concerning USB or FireWire or LAN or EtherNet support for DOS.
    Robert Baer, May 11, 2004
  7. Bob S.

    Robert Baer Guest

    "Trent©" wrote:

    > On 10 May 2004 15:08:08 -0700, (Bob S.) wrote:
    >
    > >My OS is 98SE and my printer is a HP750.
    > >
    > >I can print from all windows applications but cannot print from DOS.
    > >DOS seems to be looking for a printer connected to the LPT port, but
    > >the HP750 is a USB device on a "port" called DOT4.
    > >
    > >Is there any line command for the autoexec.bat file that will redirect
    > >the LPT1 to the DOT4? Any other suggestions?
    > >
    > >TIA
    > >Bob S.

    > Go into the printer setup and capture the printer port.
    >
    > Have a nice week...
    >
    > Trent©
    >
    > Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

    Will not work; DOS does not support USB...
    Robert Baer, May 11, 2004
  8. Bob S.

    Robert Baer Guest

    Art Leonard wrote:

    > Lo, This is a problem that I encounter frequently at work. When the printer
    > driver is installed initially every HP driver I have ever seen ask the
    > question..... Do you want to print from dos programs?........once answered
    > "no" that is pretty much the end of that possibility. So I simply remove
    > the printer then reinstall after a reboot. The driver comes up again and
    > this time say yes to print from dos question. It also helps to select
    > ............Do not Spool Dos print Jobs.......... from the printer set up
    > page. Otherwise you will have windows and dos fighting over the control of
    > the printer. The redirection from dos is automatic and no external commands
    > are needed.
    >
    > Oops! I just noticed that it is a usb device... Do you have usb control in
    > dos??? Try running your dos app in a windowed environment and I bet the
    > above will work.
    >
    > Good Luck
    > Art Leonard
    >
    > "Bob S." <> wrote in message
    > > My OS is 98SE and my printer is a HP750.
    > >
    > > I can print from all windows applications but cannot print from DOS.
    > > DOS seems to be looking for a printer connected to the LPT port, but
    > > the HP750 is a USB device on a "port" called DOT4.
    > >
    > > Is there any line command for the autoexec.bat file that will redirect
    > > the LPT1 to the DOT4? Any other suggestions?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Bob S.

    Like i mentioned elsewhere, DOS simply does not support USB, and a DOS
    "window" is just as bad that way.
    Robert Baer, May 11, 2004
  9. Bob S.

    J KScot Guest

    DOS printing problem

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message

    > Your info is useless; look carefully = you will never find any info
    > concerning USB or FireWire or LAN or EtherNet support for DOS.

    There are DOS drivers for some USB devices.

    It is a simple matter to connect a DOS machine to a LAN over ethernet using
    the free MS Network Client for DOS.

    jim
    J KScot, May 11, 2004
  10. Bob S.

    Art Leonard Guest

    Hi, while I am sure you are right about usb and dos, how do I retain my
    network connection in dos while using a usb wireless card??? My work
    involves the use of old dos programs and the files I work with are network
    based. When I am away from the office I use a Memorex thumb drive ( plugs
    into a usb port ) to continue my work in the dos programs using the files
    located on the thumb drive.... so far no problems..... maybe there is
    something you have not considered??

    Art Leonard

    Art Leonard, May 12, 2004
  11. Bob S.

    Robert Baer Guest

    Art Leonard wrote:

    > Hi, while I am sure you are right about usb and dos, how do I retain my
    > network connection in dos while using a usb wireless card??? My work
    > involves the use of old dos programs and the files I work with are network
    > based. When I am away from the office I use a Memorex thumb drive ( plugs
    > into a usb port ) to continue my work in the dos programs using the files
    > located on the thumb drive.... so far no problems..... maybe there is
    > something you have not considered??
    >
    > Art Leonard
    >
    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > Art Leonard wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Lo, This is a problem that I encounter frequently at work. When the

    > printer
    > > > driver is installed initially every HP driver I have ever seen ask the
    > > > question..... Do you want to print from dos programs?........once

    > answered
    > > > "no" that is pretty much the end of that possibility. So I simply

    > remove
    > > > the printer then reinstall after a reboot. The driver comes up again and
    > > > this time say yes to print from dos question. It also helps to select
    > > > ............Do not Spool Dos print Jobs.......... from the printer set

    > up
    > > > page. Otherwise you will have windows and dos fighting over the control

    > of
    > > > the printer. The redirection from dos is automatic and no external

    > commands
    > > > are needed.
    > > >
    > > > Oops! I just noticed that it is a usb device... Do you have usb

    > control in
    > > > dos??? Try running your dos app in a windowed environment and I bet the
    > > > above will work.
    > > >
    > > > Good Luck
    > > > Art Leonard
    > > >
    > > > "Bob S." <> wrote in message

    > > Like i mentioned elsewhere, DOS simply does not support USB, and a DOS
    > > "window" is just as bad that way.

    I would giess thatyou are using the DOS emulator (what one gets when
    click on the "MSDOS" icon or equivalent).
    Robert Baer, May 12, 2004
  12. Bob S.

    Thor Guest

    "Art Leonard" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, while I am sure you are right about usb and dos, how do I retain

    my
    > network connection in dos while using a usb wireless card??? My work
    > involves the use of old dos programs and the files I work with are network
    > based. When I am away from the office I use a Memorex thumb drive ( plugs
    > into a usb port ) to continue my work in the dos programs using the files
    > located on the thumb drive.... so far no problems..... maybe there is
    > something you have not considered??

    If you are running your old DOS programs through windows, then the support
    would automatically be there, since to the DOS emulation, the drive looks
    like any other in the system when running under windows, because windows
    provides the drive letter access to the programs running under the DOS
    virtual machine environment. If you were booting to a DOS startup disk, or
    the system was booted to a command prompt, then you wouldn't have access to
    the USB drive without the benefit of specialized DOS-based USB storage
    device drivers.
    Thor, May 12, 2004
  13. Bob S.

    Davide Guolo Guest

    Robert,

    > DOS does not support USB, FireWire, or any other modern protocols
    > (never did).
    > And i doubt that there are any TSRs or drivers, as the market is so
    > dinky.

    Printfil is the solution.
    It allows character based applications (DOS too) to print to ANY Windows
    device, including USB, networked and virtual (such as Faxmodems and PDF
    writers)

    In addition you can automatically obtain a graphical preview, you can choose
    the font, color, and so on.

    A free trial is available for download at our web site.

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all
    Davide Guolo, Jun 18, 2004