    thanks in advance,
    Ali,
    MCSA,CCNA

    Ali, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Ali

    Brian Guest

    "Ali" <> wrote
    > I'm just getting curious why it doesn't work. the 'net' commands
    > in autoexec.bat don't execute.

    This may be obvious, but you do have a copy of net.exe on your boot disk,
    right?

    Brian, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Ali

    Ali Guest

    hey Brian,
    ofcourse net.exe is on the floppy, also every file needed for the net
    connection. here's someone's reply from the other newsgroup, and my
    response:

    If you require specific answers then you need to ask specific
    rather than general questions. You also also need to say
    what exactly you have on your DOS network boot disk,
    what's in autoexec.bat and config.sys, and what the exact
    error message is. When you write that you got an error message
    "Something like that" then this leaves far too much room for
    guessing.

    [my reply]
    well... ok, I better explain things here.
    I have VMWare installed, and I'm trying to connect to the server with this
    DOS network boot disk (yeah right) that

    Microsoft has given an article about how to make. ok so I download the 2
    Boot Disk Generator files from:
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/clients/msclient/dsk3-1.exe
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/clients/msclient/dsk3-2.exe
    first of all I made an MSDOS startup floppy, then I deleted all unneccessary
    files, to have enough room for the

    network files. I run the setup program for the net-boot-disk, to install it
    on the same floppy. installs everything,

    and modifies autoexec.bat and config.sys as follows:

    [autoexec.bat]:

    SET PATH=A:\NET
    A:\NET\net initialize
    A:\NET\netbind.com
    A:\NET\umb.com
    A:\NET\tcptsr.exe
    A:\NET\tinyrfc.exe
    A:\NET\nmtsr.exe
    A:\NET\emsbfr.exe
    A:\NET\net start

    [config.sys]

    FILES=20
    device=A:\NET\ifshlp.sys
    LASTDRIVE=Z

    well I had to add a few lines to these 2 files for some enhancements:

    [autoexec.bat]

    loadhigh share
    loadhigh smartdrv
    loadhigh doskey

    [config.sys]

    device-c:\dos\himem.sys
    dos=high,umb

    ok, so far so good. now I reboot with the super duper boot disk, and I get
    errors all over:

    C:\>NET\tcptsr.exe
    NET0111: Error accessing NEMM.DOS. TCP 1.0 not loaded.

    C:\>C:\NET\tinyrfc.exe
    NET0111: Error accessing NEMM.DOS. Tiny RFC 1.0 not loaded.
    Press any key to continue

    C:\>C:\NET\nmtsr.exe
    NET0111: Error accessing NEMM.DOS. NMTSR 1.0 not loaded.
    Press any key to continue

    hmm, well I don't even know what the heck this file (nemm.dos) is for, and I
    didn't even modify it, and yes it's

    right there in it's place in A:\net\
    Bart's Boot Disk is just something I call a miracle for DOS. although I
    should state that I can't get it to work with

    TCP/IP. but when I switch to NETBEUI, it works perfectly. the network boot
    disk generator that MS has provided

    is garbage, and I mean it. it doesn't even re-modify autoexec and config
    after changing the settings.
    but then again, I'm just trying to get this to work, or to see if it works.
    a few pages I got help from are:
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/doscl3up.htm
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dosclflp.htm
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dosclnt3.htm
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/doscltcp.htm
    etc....

    I think this should be enough info. hope you can help on this one. thanks a
    bunch.

    Regards,
    Ali,
    MCSA,CCNA

    Ali, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Ali

    Greg Guest

    have you tried to look at http://www.bootdisk.com

    they have just about all the boot disk you will need..

    Greg

    Greg, Oct 27, 2003