    would you find out which drivers to use. It's Win98. Any help appreciated.

    --
    SharkFOA
    SharkFOA, Oct 7, 2003

  2. SharkFOA

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > hoping somebody can help. A client has a Lexmark E210 laser printer and also
    > has a dos database that they need to print from. The Lexmark site states
    > that it can't print from Dos. Is there any way of getting it to print the
    > dos stuff? The printer blinks but nothing is showing in the print queue.The
    > database suppliers suggested to use HP drivers. Is this feasible and how
    > would you find out which drivers to use. It's Win98. Any help appreciated.

    Are they running in Dos mode or a Dos window. Which printer drivers are
    installed in 98 is totally irrelevant. Dos programs provide their own
    printer support, if you cannot print from a Dos window you should restart
    in Dos mode and run the application from there.

    If it does not print in Dos mode maybe the printer is a winprinter, that
    can only print from Windows
    Mainlander, Oct 7, 2003

  3. SharkFOA

    Big Guest

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 20:16:21 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>, says...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> hoping somebody can help. A client has a Lexmark E210 laser printer and also
    >> has a dos database that they need to print from. The Lexmark site states
    >> that it can't print from Dos. Is there any way of getting it to print the
    >> dos stuff? The printer blinks but nothing is showing in the print queue.The
    >> database suppliers suggested to use HP drivers. Is this feasible and how
    >> would you find out which drivers to use. It's Win98. Any help appreciated.

    >Are they running in Dos mode or a Dos window. Which printer drivers are
    >installed in 98 is totally irrelevant. Dos programs provide their own
    >printer support, if you cannot print from a Dos window you should restart
    >in Dos mode and run the application from there.
    >
    >If it does not print in Dos mode maybe the printer is a winprinter, that
    >can only print from Windows

    Stacks of new printers InkJet or Laser can't print in DOS..

    My HP 4L can but my Epson 740 can't and its listed as a DOS printer..
    Big , Oct 7, 2003
  4. SharkFOA

    lost Guest

    SharkFOA wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > hoping somebody can help. A client has a Lexmark E210 laser printer and also
    > has a dos database that they need to print from. The Lexmark site states
    > that it can't print from Dos. Is there any way of getting it to print the
    > dos stuff? The printer blinks but nothing is showing in the print queue.The
    > database suppliers suggested to use HP drivers. Is this feasible and how
    > would you find out which drivers to use. It's Win98. Any help appreciated.

    Buying a 2nd hand printer may be the answer if you can't get anything else to work. Printers increasingly have deligated hardware processing functions to the drivers, so pure hardware (& therefore directly dos compatible) printers are somewhat rare today.

    I also found these from www.google.com:

    http://www.dosprn.com/
    http://www.geocities.com/DOSPrint/
    http://www.dosprint.com
    http://www.tally.uk.com/aftersal/apps_sup/appnotes/installation_and_setup/anisall45.htm
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...f&view=pfdocs&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=
    http://netsys.syr.edu/ops/printing/dos.html
    http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/anyprinter.html
    http://cmgm.stanford.edu/help/manual/hardware/printing/dosprinting.html
    lost, Oct 7, 2003
  5. SharkFOA

    M Guest

    Its a bit of a pain, since I had a user also wanting to print from dos.

    It was a parallel inkjet modelmodel (epson 40ux? or something), so I went
    into real dos mode (not a shell) and redirected a 'dir' command to the lpt
    port, no problems it works.... cool !

    But since the program probably spat out either dot-matrix or laserjet codes
    it just didnt seem to work.
    Didnt matter in the end since they went to a windows based program... but it
    wasnt something I could get going there and then!

    Matt

    M, Oct 8, 2003
  6. SharkFOA

    SharkFOA Guest

    "M" <> wrote in message
    > Its a bit of a pain, since I had a user also wanting to print from dos.
    >
    > It was a parallel inkjet modelmodel (epson 40ux? or something), so I went
    > into real dos mode (not a shell) and redirected a 'dir' command to the lpt
    > port, no problems it works.... cool !
    >
    > But since the program probably spat out either dot-matrix or laserjet

    codes
    > it just didnt seem to work.
    > Didnt matter in the end since they went to a windows based program... but

    it
    > wasnt something I could get going there and then!

    Yep. It looks like they've seen the light and are going to the windows
    version.

    Cheers

    --
    SharkFOA