    Could boot record be damaged?
    What might cause that?
    How can this be fixed?

    Anastasio A Rossi, Feb 24, 2004

  2. On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:57:53 +0000, Anastasio A Rossi wrote:

    > If I try to boot to DOS with a Norton or WinMe CD the DOS screen comes up
    > with 2 option: Boot from CD ROM, or Hard Drive. Problem is, nothing works.
    > Keyboard and mouse don't respond, and seconds tick down to zero, then
    > machine reboots from HD
    >
    > I tries re-installing WinMe, but it does not help.
    >
    > It seems like a very low level problem. Could boot record be damaged?
    > What might cause that?
    > How can this be fixed?

    Since DOS does not support USB ... by chance do you have a USB keyboard or
    mouse?

    Dan Shackelford, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Anastasio A Rossi

    docmill Guest

    Keyboard and mouse are not supported in DOS, if they are plugged into the
    USB. Didn't Dan make that clear? Your question hasn't got any further in
    tha direction. Try the PS/2 connectin.

    --
    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

    docmill, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Howdy!

    "Anastasio A Rossi" <> wrote in message
    > If I try to boot to DOS with a Norton or WinMe CD the DOS screen comes up

    with 2 option: Boot from CD ROM, or Hard Drive.
    > Problem is, nothing works. Keyboard and mouse don't respond, and seconds

    tick down to zero, then machine reboots from HD

    > I tries re-installing WinMe, but it does not help.
    >
    > It seems like a very low level problem.
    > Could boot record be damaged?
    > What might cause that?
    > How can this be fixed?

    USB keyboard, and "Legacy USB Support" disabled in the BIOS.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Howdy!

    "docmill" <> wrote in message
    > Keyboard and mouse are not supported in DOS, if they are plugged into the
    > USB. Didn't Dan make that clear? Your question hasn't got any further in
    > tha direction. Try the PS/2 connectin.

    Ahem. With "Legacy USB Support" enabled, it is.

    Which is good - there's "Legacy-Free" machines with NO PS/2 ports on
    them out there!

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Feb 29, 2004