    When booting WIN9x/ME, im loading the same 3 files right, but these are then
    not needed once windows actually loads its drivers, correct?

    Thanks in advance...
    Adam Ross, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Adam Ross

    Pat Guest

    "Glenn (SBfan2000)" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > config and autoexec are not REQUIRED to run dos!! If you have dos

    programs
    > that need a mouse, sound, etc then autoexec.bat is needed to load these
    > drivers! If I remember correct it would be needed to use

    expanded/extended
    > memory as well!

    What you get's a prompt for date and time and then your C:\ prompt is
    actually more like c> and won't display the current directory. The memory
    managers aren't loaded so all you have's the 640kb of conventional memory
    unless you're using a very old program designed to address memory directly.
    You'll have no drivers loaded, so the cd-rom, sound card, mouse, etc. won't
    be operative unless again, you're using software that addresses the
    hardware.

    Programmers today rely on their API's so they don't have to concern
    themselves with the hardware and memory management.
    Pat, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Adam Ross

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, "Adam Ross"
    <> wrote:

    > Okay, when booting in DOS itself, there are 3 files that start; io.sys,
    > msdos.sys, and command.com. These 3 files are needed to run DOS, correct?
    > What about config.sys and autoexec.bat?

    Autoexec.bat and config.sys are not required to boot a PC. They are
    required by other programs or drivers running under DOS, or other
    environment changes, but not required just to boot a PC.
    Ghost, Aug 21, 2003
  4. Adam Ross

    Geoff Guest

    Adam Ross wrote:
    > Okay, when booting in DOS itself, there are 3 files that start;
    > io.sys, msdos.sys, and command.com. These 3 files are needed to run
    > DOS, correct? What about config.sys and autoexec.bat?
    >
    > When booting WIN9x/ME, im loading the same 3 files right, but these
    > are then not needed once windows actually loads its drivers, correct?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...

    config.sys and autoexec.bat are optional
    Geoff, Aug 23, 2003