DOS Boot Order

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by webzila, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. webzila

    webzila Guest

    What is the DOS boot order that COMPTIA is looking for on the OS test.

    I have seen 3 variations and I know that there is a technically correct
    way and the way that COMPTIA wants to see..

    So far I have seen the following possibilities.

    I.
    1. IO.SYS
    2. MSDOS.SYS
    3. CONFIG.SYS
    4. COMMAND.COM
    5. AUTOEXEC.BAT

    II.
    1. IO.SYS
    2. MSDOS.SYS
    3. COMMAND.COM
    4. CONFIG.SYS
    5. AUTOEXEC.BAT

    III.
    1. IO.SYS
    2. CONFIG.SYS
    3. MSDOS.SYS
    4. COMMAND.COM
    5. AUTOEXEC.BAT
    Which order would be the correct response on the A+ exam?

    Thank you
    webzila, Jul 20, 2004

  2. webzila

    chris Guest

    Hi

    Here is a excerpt from the microsoft site

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/prork/prbd_std_nfkh.asp?frame=true
    The Windows 2000 startup process is similar to the startup process for
    Windows NT 4.0 but is significantly different from other operating systems.
    In MS-DOS, Windows 95, and Windows 98, the computer loads the IO.sys file
    followed by Msdos.sys and Command.com. However, in Windows 2000, these files
    only exist on computers that have multiple-boot configurations with Windows
    95, Windows 98, or MS-DOS.

    If you think about it
    1 and 3 can not be possible as a computer can boot to a c:/ prompt without
    either a config.sys or autoexec.bat so it has to be option 2.

    chris, Jul 20, 2004

  3. On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:24:14 GMT, "chris" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Here is a excerpt from the microsoft site
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/prork/prbd_std_nfkh.asp?frame=true
    >The Windows 2000 startup process is similar to the startup process for
    >Windows NT 4.0 but is significantly different from other operating systems.
    >In MS-DOS, Windows 95, and Windows 98, the computer loads the IO.sys file
    >followed by Msdos.sys and Command.com. However, in Windows 2000, these files
    >only exist on computers that have multiple-boot configurations with Windows
    >95, Windows 98, or MS-DOS.
    >
    >If you think about it
    >1 and 3 can not be possible as a computer can boot to a c:/ prompt without
    >either a config.sys or autoexec.bat so it has to be option 2.

    Why? Command.com doesn't require config.sys or autoexec.bat to load,
    so that doesn't necessarily eliminate the other possibilities.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 20, 2004
  4. webzila

    chris Guest

    Tom

    Don't you need the command.com in order to read the commands given in the
    config and autoexec?

    Chris

    chris, Jul 20, 2004
  5. On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:59:12 GMT, "chris" <> wrote:

    >Tom
    >
    >Don't you need the command.com in order to read the commands given in the
    >config and autoexec?
    >
    >Chris

    It's been a long time...autoexec is definitely yes, but
    config.sys?...I have that old "3 syssies got to com-bat" mnemonic in
    my head for some reason, and that works for answer one, although I
    also recall at least one source that stated config.sys loaded before
    msdos.sys, which still fits the mnemonic. That would possibly be more
    likely be true for Windows 9x, where io.sys absorbed a lot of
    msdos.sys functions and msdos.sys is really an ini file, than for DOS.
    I just don't remember...getting old, memory shot. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 20, 2004
  6. The way it should be

    IO.SYS --> MSDOS.SYS --> CONFIG.SYS --> COMMAND.COM --> AUTOEXEC.BAT

    Msdos.sys will looking for config.sys if exist it will process. Then,
    command.com will be loaded after and looking for autoexec.bat.
    Good Luck,
    K. Ratanatharathorn

    Kiatkachorn Ratanatharathorn, Jul 21, 2004
  7. the easiest way to remember it is like this, and this is from memory.
    IO.SYS (2 letters) MSDOS.SYS (5 letters) CONFIG.SYS (6 letters) COMMAND.COM
    (7 letters) AUTOEXEC.BAT (8 letters). Now you know, and you can thank me
    later when you get this questio right on the test, actually, I found it
    online too.

    Great place to hang out and ask questions.

    http://p090.ezboard.com/btotalseminars

    Fred Mathering, Jul 22, 2004