    I've heard a lot about major corporate internet servers going down because
    of DOS attacks. Can a NAT router be disabled in the same way ? TIA.
    Steve
    steve h., Jul 5, 2004

  2. steve h.

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:48:26 GMT, steve h. wrote:
    > I've heard a lot about major corporate internet servers going down because
    > of DOS attacks. Can a NAT router be disabled in the same way ? TIA.

    I vote yes if you are using the same router. :)
    Bit Twister, Jul 5, 2004

  3. steve h.

    steve h. Guest

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:48:26 GMT, steve h. wrote:
    >
    >>I've heard a lot about major corporate internet servers going down because
    >>of DOS attacks. Can a NAT router be disabled in the same way ? TIA.

    > I vote yes if you are using the same router. :)

    No, my router is working perfectly now. Traded in the "fried" one and
    got a APC to protect it and the cpu. But I've wondered for weeks if a
    DOS attack could fry it
    steve h., Jul 5, 2004
  4. steve h.

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:56:48 GMT, steve h. wrote:

    > No, my router is working perfectly now. Traded in the "fried" one and
    > got a APC to protect it and the cpu. But I've wondered for weeks if a
    > DOS attack could fry it

    Me thinks you are confused. Denial Of Service and a component failure
    are two different things. You could have a component failure on your
    first download of a web page on your new hardware. A DOS is a bunch of
    request sent to your hardware. Since RoadRunner throttles your
    download to ~3meg bits a second your router should hold up to the
    _strain_.
    Bit Twister, Jul 5, 2004
  5. steve h.

    steve h. Guest

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:56:48 GMT, steve h. wrote:
    >

    >>No, my router is working perfectly now. Traded in the "fried" one and
    >>got a APC to protect it and the cpu. But I've wondered for weeks if a
    >>DOS attack could fry it

    > Me thinks you are confused. Denial Of Service and a component failure
    > are two different things. You could have a component failure on your
    > first download of a web page on your new hardware. A DOS is a bunch of
    > request sent to your hardware. Since RoadRunner throttles your
    > download to ~3meg bits a second your router should hold up to the
    > _strain_.

    OK, thanks. I won't even think about that next time the router "fails"
    steve h., Jul 5, 2004
  6. steve h.

    Jbob Guest

    This post must be an aftermath from your fried router. You posted a couple
    of days ago. It is very unlikely that a DOS attack could damage your
    router. That's not to say that there might not be some code out there that
    might disrupt your router depending on firmware. Usually a reset should fix
    things though.
    Jbob, Jul 5, 2004