    more hilarious now that we know the truth about Rock Hudson.

    Miss Day is the undisputed queen of the DF (Delayed ****) movies, but
    Annette Funicello ran a close second.
    Scot Gardner, Oct 16, 2003

  2. On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:51:24 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:

    >After watching _Down With Love_, I couldn't help but wonder if DF
    >movies are going to become fashionable again.
    >
    >As near as I can tell, Doris Day became a virgin around the time _The
    >Pajama Game_ was released in 1957. I always enjoy watching a fortyish
    >Doris play a spinster bobbysoxer being chased around the room by various
    >married men and eligible bachelors. The hijinks in Pillow Talk are even
    >more hilarious now that we know the truth about Rock Hudson.
    >
    >Miss Day is the undisputed queen of the DF (Delayed ****) movies, but
    >Annette Funicello ran a close second.

    Funny, I thought it would be Sharon Stone

    SpeedByrd PhD
    SpeedByrd PhD., Oct 16, 2003

  3. Scot Gardner

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Scot Gardner <> wrote:

    > As near as I can tell, Doris Day became a virgin around the time _The
    > Pajama Game_ was released in 1957. I always enjoy watching a fortyish
    > Doris play a spinster bobbysoxer being chased around the room by various
    > married men and eligible bachelors. The hijinks in Pillow Talk are even
    > more hilarious now that we know the truth about Rock Hudson.

    I just can't bring myself to watch those movies. They're the cinematic
    equivalent of having my teeth pulled.

    Two noticeable exceptions are Jayne Mansfield in "The Girl Can't Help
    It" (no, she's NOT the two exceptions! <g>), and the fabulous "Seven
    Year Itch".
    Peter Briggs, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Scot Gardner

    Jeeters Guest

    > ... _The
    > Pajama Game_ was released in 1957. I always enjoy watching a fortyish
    > Doris play a spinster bobbysoxer being chased around the room by various
    > married men and eligible bachelors.

    Actually, she was in her early thirties around then. sorry
    Jeeters, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Jeeters" <> wrote in message

    > > ... _The
    > > Pajama Game_ was released in 1957. I always enjoy watching a
    > > fortyish Doris play a spinster bobbysoxer being chased around the
    > > room by various married men and eligible bachelors.

    > Actually, she was in her early thirties around then. sorry

    You're right. I thought that Miss Day was born before 1920, instead of
    in 1924. She was only 38 when she played her last virgin in _That Touch
    of Mink_ (1962).

    Her Jiffy Pop hairdo in _Lover Come Back_ (1961) was a real turn on.
    Scot Gardner, Oct 17, 2003
  6. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "SpeedByrd PhD." <> wrote in message
    >Miss Day is the undisputed queen of the DF (Delayed ****) movies,
    >but Annette Funicello ran a close second.

    <<Funny, I thought it would be Sharon Stone>>

    <<SpeedByrd PhD>>

    Well, yeah.

    But I was thinking more along the lines of Sandra Dee and Connie
    Stevens.
    Scot Gardner, Oct 17, 2003
  7. Scot Gardner

    GMAN Guest

    In article <1g2x79y.doxt9dxvvt8bN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk>, pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote:
    >Scot Gardner <> wrote:
    >
    >> As near as I can tell, Doris Day became a virgin around the time _The
    >> Pajama Game_ was released in 1957. I always enjoy watching a fortyish
    >> Doris play a spinster bobbysoxer being chased around the room by various
    >> married men and eligible bachelors. The hijinks in Pillow Talk are even
    >> more hilarious now that we know the truth about Rock Hudson.

    >I just can't bring myself to watch those movies. They're the cinematic
    >equivalent of having my teeth pulled.
    >
    >Two noticeable exceptions are Jayne Mansfield in "The Girl Can't Help
    >It" (no, she's NOT the two exceptions! <g>), and the fabulous "Seven
    >Year Itch".

    Doesnt T'Pol from Start Trek get that 7 year itch?
    GMAN, Oct 17, 2003
  8. Scot Gardner

    anthony Guest

    The great pianist, drunk and wit Oscar Levant once boasted that he
    knew Doris Day BEFORE she was a virgin.
    anthony, Oct 17, 2003
  9. Peter Briggs wrote:

    > Scot Gardner <> wrote:
    >

    >>As near as I can tell, Doris Day became a virgin around the time _The
    >>Pajama Game_ was released in 1957. I always enjoy watching a fortyish
    >>Doris play a spinster bobbysoxer being chased around the room by various
    >>married men and eligible bachelors. The hijinks in Pillow Talk are even
    >>more hilarious now that we know the truth about Rock Hudson.

    > I just can't bring myself to watch those movies. They're the cinematic
    > equivalent of having my teeth pulled.

    You don't like Pillow Talk yet rave about Down With Love? OOOOOOOOOk.
    Tallulah Blanket, Oct 17, 2003
  10. Scot Gardner

    Peter Briggs Guest

    GMAN <> wrote:

    > Doesnt T'Pol from Start Trek get that 7 year itch?

    I know T'Pol gives me that itch!

    Oh, hey -- just to keep this in context: Seven-Of-Nine is in "Down With
    Love".
    Peter Briggs, Oct 17, 2003
  11. Scot Gardner

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Tallulah Blanket <> wrote:

    > You don't like Pillow Talk yet rave about Down With Love? >OOOOOOOOOk.

    It's Doris Day and Rock Hudson. There's something about both of them
    that just make me want to hurl. I simply can't watch their
    "performances".
    Peter Briggs, Oct 17, 2003
  12. Scot Gardner

    buck Guest

    In article <1g2z1oc.1luhkvrtmmu93N%pete@DIESPAMDIE!
    cinescribe.demon.co.uk>, pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk says...
    > Tallulah Blanket <> wrote:
    >
    > > You don't like Pillow Talk yet rave about Down With Love? >OOOOOOOOOk.

    > It's Doris Day and Rock Hudson. There's something about both of them
    > that just make me want to hurl. I simply can't watch their
    > "performances".

    I dont think thier movies have any value at all except some POSSIBLE
    nostalgia for poorly performed "cotton candy" romantic comedies.
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    buck, Oct 17, 2003
  13. Peter Briggs wrote:

    > Tallulah Blanket <> wrote:
    >

    >>You don't like Pillow Talk yet rave about Down With Love? >OOOOOOOOOk.

    > It's Doris Day and Rock Hudson. There's something about both of them
    > that just make me want to hurl. I simply can't watch their
    > "performances".

    This I really don't understand. Hudson was a great comic actor, as was
    Day. The timing and nuances of their performances in their "sex"
    comedies was perfect. I can't think of a romantic comedy of the last 20
    years that touches Pillow Talk.
    Tallulah Blanket, Oct 17, 2003
  14. Scot Gardner

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Tallulah Blanket <> wrote:

    > > It's Doris Day and Rock Hudson. There's something about both of them
    > > that just make me want to hurl. I simply can't watch their
    > > "performances".

    > This I really don't understand. Hudson was a great comic actor, as was
    > Day. The timing and nuances of their performances in their "sex"
    > comedies was perfect. I can't think of a romantic comedy of the last 20
    > years that touches Pillow Talk.

    Hudson was an appalling actor. Day looked like she was floundering.
    "Pillow Talk" is unwatchable.

    These are my feelings. Sorry if your accord is something else. No
    offense meant.
    Peter Briggs, Oct 18, 2003
  15. Scot Gardner

    buck Guest

    In article <y67kb.155739$>,
    says...
    > buck wrote:
    > > In article <1g2z1oc.1luhkvrtmmu93N%pete@DIESPAMDIE!
    > > cinescribe.demon.co.uk>, pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk says...

    > >>It's Doris Day and Rock Hudson. There's something about both of them
    > >>that just make me want to hurl. I simply can't watch their
    > >>"performances".
    > >>

    > > I dont think thier movies have any value at all except some POSSIBLE
    > > nostalgia for poorly performed "cotton candy" romantic comedies.

    > Well, you'd be in a minority view there. The films, especially Pillow
    > Talk, are highly regarded to this day.

    I usually am in the minority when it comes to good movie vs bad movie
    arguments.

    I guess Im not average.
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    buck, Oct 18, 2003
  16. Scot Gardner

    Peter Briggs Guest

    buck <> wrote:

    > I dont think thier movies have any value at all except some POSSIBLE
    > nostalgia for poorly performed "cotton candy" romantic comedies.

    Hear, hear.
    Peter Briggs, Oct 18, 2003
  17. Scot Gardner

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Tallulah Blanket <> wrote:

    > Well, you'd be in a minority view there. The films, especially Pillow
    > Talk, are highly regarded to this day.

    Yes, but I don't frequent those bars I'm afraid...
    Peter Briggs, Oct 18, 2003
  18. buck wrote:
    > In article <y67kb.155739$>,
    > says...

    > I usually am in the minority when it comes to good movie vs bad movie
    > arguments.
    >
    > I guess Im not average.

    That's not as big a compliment to yourself as you think.
    Tallulah Blanket, Oct 18, 2003
  19. Scot Gardner

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Tallulah Blanket <> wrote:

    > That's not as big a compliment to yourself as you think.

    Hmmm. Count yourself as part of the demographic that made "American
    Pie" a big hit, or that which comprised "Ronin"? What to do, what to
    do...
    Peter Briggs, Oct 19, 2003