    problems?

    Thanks,
    Andrew.

    Andrew Reeve, Oct 15, 2004

  2. Andrew Reeve

    Andrew Reeve Guest

    Andrew Reeve wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I downloaded the Doom 3 demo for Linux and it plays well on my machine
    > with SuSE 9.1. I've played all the demo and am now interested in buying
    > the game. Has anyone here played the proper game on Linux and did you have
    > any problems?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andrew.

    I've answered my own question by going out and buying the game. I downloaded
    the linux run file from ID Software, made it executable, ran the install,
    copied the .pk4 files across as the readme said and it worked.

    It runs straight off the hard drive and works well.

    Andrew.

    Andrew Reeve, Oct 15, 2004

  3. Andrew Reeve

    Lebowski Guest

    "Andrew Reeve" <andrew.reeve(BITEME)@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Andrew Reeve wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I downloaded the Doom 3 demo for Linux and it plays well on my machine
    > > with SuSE 9.1. I've played all the demo and am now interested in buying
    > > the game. Has anyone here played the proper game on Linux and did you

    have
    > > any problems?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Andrew.

    > I've answered my own question by going out and buying the game. I

    downloaded
    > the linux run file from ID Software, made it executable, ran the install,
    > copied the .pk4 files across as the readme said and it worked.
    >
    > It runs straight off the hard drive and works well.
    >
    > Andrew.

    This was interesting:
    http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2241

    They used SuSE 9.1 as well. Performed 25% slower than the Windows platform
    in most cases.

    Lebowski, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Andrew Reeve

    Allistar Guest

    Lebowski wrote:

    > "Andrew Reeve" <andrew.reeve(BITEME)@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    >> Andrew Reeve wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi there,
    >> >
    >> > I downloaded the Doom 3 demo for Linux and it plays well on my machine
    >> > with SuSE 9.1. I've played all the demo and am now interested in buying
    >> > the game. Has anyone here played the proper game on Linux and did you

    > have
    >> > any problems?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Andrew.

    >> I've answered my own question by going out and buying the game. I

    > downloaded
    >> the linux run file from ID Software, made it executable, ran the install,
    >> copied the .pk4 files across as the readme said and it worked.
    >>
    >> It runs straight off the hard drive and works well.
    >>
    >> Andrew.
    >>

    > This was interesting:
    > http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2241
    >
    > They used SuSE 9.1 as well. Performed 25% slower than the Windows platform
    > in most cases.

    Is that the comparison where they didn't take advantage of SSE2 on Linux but
    did on Windows?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 17, 2004
  5. Lebowski wrote:
    >>I've answered my own question by going out and buying the game. I
    >> downloaded
    >>the linux run file from ID Software, made it executable, ran the install,
    >>copied the .pk4 files across as the readme said and it worked.
    >>It runs straight off the hard drive and works well.

    > This was interesting:
    > http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2241
    > They used SuSE 9.1 as well. Performed 25% slower than the Windows platform
    > in most cases.

    quite interesting indeed.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 17, 2004
  6. Andrew Reeve

    nick Guest

    > Lebowski wrote:
    >>>I've answered my own question by going out and buying the game. I
    >>>downloaded
    >>>the linux run file from ID Software, made it executable, ran the install,
    >>>copied the .pk4 files across as the readme said and it worked.
    >>>It runs straight off the hard drive and works well.

    >> This was interesting:
    >> http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2241
    >> They used SuSE 9.1 as well. Performed 25% slower than the Windows
    >> platform
    >> in most cases.

    > quite interesting indeed.

    Heres why

    http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/12/1725246

    "To start this review off right, we went to the source of the Linux port of
    Doom 3, Timothee Besset (TTimo) of id Software. We wanted to clear some
    things up before we even began the quest for Linux performance numbers.

    We first checked to make sure there were no major differences between the
    Linux and Windows versions:

    "There are no features that have to be disabled on the Linux version or
    anything like that. So you should not see any graphical differences.
    Feel free to do whatever benchmarks you want. You'll probably notice that
    on Linux Doom III will be more CPU bound than card bound. I can see several
    factors, mostly the fact that the SSE2 code is not used in the current
    binary, and maybe because gcc doesn't optimize as well as VC.net does.
    I will be spending some time in the upcoming months optimizing the builds
    for more speed. I don't expect to get more than a 5-10% fps gain though."
    We then went on to ask him to explain why there were no SSE2 optimizations
    under the Linux version and which version of GCC he was using for Doom 3:

    "Because our SSE2 code is in VC.net syntax (not only Intel asm, but
    generally speaking, it uses VC.net __asm constructs) and I need to go over
    it to convert it.
    [I'm using] gcc 3.3 -O2 basically"

    nick, Oct 18, 2004