Don't Get Suckered By Cheap Netbook Offers

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ablang, Mar 16, 2009.

  1. Ablang

    Ablang Guest

    David Coursey, PC World | Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:51 PM PDT
    Don't Get Suckered By Cheap Netbook Offers

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/161109/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws

    Hardware subsidies are one of the greatest scams that have ever been
    perpetrated on American technology buyers--yet it has been going on in
    the cellular industry forever. Now, the cell carriers and their
    henchmen in the computer business are trying to bring the same evil
    game to netbooks.

    You know the drill: Since American cellular carriers sell their own
    (mostly proprietary) handsets, when you choose a carrier you are
    locked into purchasing a specific family of carrier-specific phones.

    Alternatively, if you want to buy a specific handset--the iPhone comes
    immediately to mind--you have to get a specific carrier's service. I
    did not want AT&T wireless service, but I did want an iPhone. So, I
    said goodbye to Sprint and hello to iPhone.

    A large part of the cost of the handset is often hidden in your
    monthly cellular charge, both as a way to make hardware sales and new
    accounts attractive and to lock the customer in for a two-year term of
    service. Essentially, every time you buy a piece of cellular hardware,
    you end up locked in for two years of service with the carrier.

    Apple's twice-the-speed/half-the-price sales pitch for the iPhone only
    told a part of the story, because AT&T raised its wireless service
    rates to more than offset the increased handset subsidy. Steve Jobs
    deserves special credit for that bit of reality distortion.

    This all relates back to how our lapdog-for-the-carriers FCC organized
    American cellular services in the first place. Not the hardware
    subsidy itself, but the lack of compatibility between handsets and
    carriers. The subsidy is a natural consequence when carriers have near
    total control over their customers' handset choices.

    It is not that way in most of the world. In other countries, the
    choice of a handset is not tied to your choice of carrier, at least
    not so exclusively. This means customers can often use a single
    handset across multiple carriers, so the choice of handset and choice
    of carrier are made independently of each other.

    I think American cellular customers, businesses especially but also
    individuals, are not well served by linking handsets and carriers so
    tightly. Is it going to change? Not likely. Unless consumers speak up,
    Americans will probably continue to get second-rate cellular forever.

    Now, the cellular carriers are trying to do the same thing with data
    cards and netbooks. Some are subsidizing the netbook selling prices
    and using that to sell a wireless card and a two-year service
    contract.

    This is worked so well with cellular voice that it only makes sense
    the carriers would take the model to data, where the cards themselves
    are already subsidized by the carriers. But with netbooks it makes
    little sense at all, since these dirt-cheap machines are unlikely to
    perform up to consumers' expectations for two years at a stretch. A
    $100 netbook is hardly a steal when it comes tethered to a $1,400 data
    plan over the course of two years. The carriers know this, and
    consumers should be skeptical.

    I do not know how we end these subsidies. I do not expect the
    government to intervene, though I do wish the FCC would take a deep
    breath and show some gumption for a change.

    Hardware subsidies by wireless carriers are anti-customer and need to
    stop. Wireless hardware and services should be purchased separately,
    which will lead to enhanced competition in both areas and wider choice/
    lower prices for customers.

    David Coursey doesn't much like any cellular carrier, especially
    whichever one(s) he has at the time. Feel the same? Disagree? Drop him
    a note using the contact form on his Web site.
    Ablang, Mar 16, 2009

  2. Ablang

    gnu / linux Guest

    On Mar 16, 6:34 pm, Ablang <> wrote:
> [...]
    > perform up to consumers' expectations for two years at a stretch. A
    > $100 netbook is hardly a steal when it comes tethered to a $1,400 data
    > plan over the course of two years. The carriers know this, and
    > consumers should be skeptical.
    >
    > I do not know how we end these subsidies. I do not expect the
    > government to intervene, though I do wish the FCC would take a deep
    > breath and show some gumption for a change.
    >
    > Hardware subsidies by wireless carriers are anti-customer and need to
    > stop. Wireless hardware and services should be purchased separately,
    > which will lead to enhanced competition in both areas and wider choice/
    > lower prices for customers.
    >
    > David Coursey doesn't much like any cellular carrier, especially
    > whichever one(s) he has at the time. Feel the same? Disagree? Drop him
    > a note using the contact form on his Web site.

    do your research - netbooks are great for some !
    gnu / linux, Mar 18, 2009