    that worked fine before.

    Please sort things out SOON, or the x64 OS will be a flash in the pan, well
    this one will anyway.

    Dennis, May 9, 2005

  2. This is just history repeating itself in the computer industry, remember the
    problems that occurred with Windows NT, 2000? Well, think of it on a much
    larger scale. I would recommend setting up a dual boot configuration between
    XP 32 bit and XP Pro x64 and take your time and transition to the platform.

    But remember the target audience for Windows XP Pro x64:
    -Engineering applications
    -3D gaming
    -Video editing
    -Digital content creation
    - life sciences
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 9, 2005

  3. Dennis

    Randy Guest

    It doesn't matter; he doesn't want to be a part of the solution, only to buy
    it when the rest of us are finished doing MS's dirty work -- for free. Not
    sure why he should feel surprised or upset... It is what it is.

    Randy, May 9, 2005
  4. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Thanks for the advise and as I do a fair amount of Video Editing etc.and
    some gaming, I would assume that I am among the TARGET audience.

    I will do as you suggest and watch the scene with interest and bated breath
    !!

    Regards

    Dennis, May 9, 2005
  5. I am not talking about Solitaire and home movies Dennis. ;-) just kidding.

    Andre Da Costa, May 9, 2005
  6. Dennis

    The_Rock Guest

    when the PC world moved from 16bit to 32bit .. it was slow at first ... as
    you can see the change eventually happened in a BIG way. This transition
    will happen as well .. in a BIG way

    Vern

    The_Rock, May 9, 2005
  7. We all make our decisions based on our tolerance for being a bit on the edge,
    versus being in the mainstream, versus being in the safe zone. For Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition, at this point in time, you're on the edge. What
    marketing folks call "Early Adopters". There are certainly risks associated
    with that, but there's also real upside. The potential of 64-bit is exciting
    and opens up new scenarios that we haven't even thought of yet. Many of the
    most obvious at this point are in the server world, certainly. I talked to a
    person at MS, for example, that had an historical pricing query that was
    taking over 8 hours to run -- clearly NOT something that could be done often.
    :) Moving to upgraded hardware and x64 Edition, that query is now around 5
    minutes. There are also amazing examples in the workstation world -- CAD/CAM
    is an obvious area where people can work in real time on projects that before
    could only be done in wire frame, and only with overnight builds.

    There is support in the OS for a whole range of printers, from a LOT of
    manufacturers. No, not every printer you could possibly have. But where there
    isn't a perfect fit, there is, in most cases, a reasonable alternative driver
    while you wait for a better one. One option that many folks will use, I'm
    sure, is one that I made a long time ago -- I make sure that every printer I
    buy supports Postscript. There will be a print driver for it, no matter what
    OS I'm on, and the driver will be there early in the beta cycle. If you want
    to be on the leading edge of things, having Postscript as an option on your
    printer is just a good idea. It may not be your best fit for everything, but
    it will work.

    Scanners? Sorry, not part of my life. There are some supported directly, and
    others that there are workarounds for, I'm told. But in my experience in IT,
    scanners were the bane of our existance. They were just plain unreliable and
    delicate. The least thing seemed to set them off, and they were a time sink
    to support.

    As for Office, Media Player, etc not working properly? Excuse me, they work
    just fine. OK, yes, the task bar doesn't work for Media Player. Annoying, but
    hardly earthshattering. Office? Works just fine, thank you. Yes, it's a
    32-bit app. So. It still works just fine.

    But you ARE right about one thing -- if you aren't able to be a bit flexible
    and tolerant and sometimes even creative, then this OS isn't for you. And you
    really shouldn't be installing it. You've got the option to use 32-bit --
    please take it. The life of an early adopter is not for everyone and clearly
    not for you. That's not pejorative, just an observation based on your post.
    But by the same token, do the rest of us a favour and don't go around bad
    mouthing the OS because it doesn't have something you want in the first week
    after it releases. Stick with your 32-bit apps and OS, and have fun over on
    the newsgroups dedicated to supporting them. When you're ready to try again,
    feel free to come back. But by then, I expect this NG to be dead and gone,
    and all of us will be working with and thinking about something new and
    different because by then 64-bit will be mainstream. And we'll be looking to
    be Early Adopters of something else.

    --
    Charlie - Microsoft MVP for Server, Security and Tablet PC.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 9, 2005
  8. Dennis

    Rick Guest

    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy shit...what a ride!"

    Rick, May 9, 2005
  9. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > We all make our decisions based on our tolerance for being a bit on
    > the edge, versus being in the mainstream, versus being in the safe
    > zone. For Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, at this point in time,
    > you're on the edge. What marketing folks call "Early Adopters". There
    > are certainly risks associated with that, but there's also real
    > upside. The potential of 64-bit is exciting and opens up new
    > scenarios that we haven't even thought of yet. Many of the most
    > obvious at this point are in the server world, certainly. I talked to
    > a person at MS, for example, that had an historical pricing query
    > that was taking over 8 hours to run -- clearly NOT something that
    > could be done often. :) Moving to upgraded hardware and x64 Edition,
    > that query is now around 5 minutes. There are also amazing examples
    > in the workstation world -- CAD/CAM is an obvious area where people
    > can work in real time on projects that before could only be done in
    > wire frame, and only with overnight builds.

    I can't say that better :)
    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 9, 2005
  10. Dennis

    Keith Guest

    Well said...ROFL we got a kick out of that at work :)

    That being said, I love being on the cutting edge (sometimess bleeding
    edge!) hence my love of being on the MS Beta teams since W2k...I have ran
    even server versions on the desktop for months at a time, using them for
    everything from gaming to actual file serving. Yes, I have pooched some
    installs and had a go at it again. Quite frankly, I get bored with the same
    old stuff!!! My desktop pc typically gets a major upgrade every 6 months and
    replaced every year. I am perfect for testing since I am so used to setting
    up, installing, formatting, and repeating.

    Maybe x64 is not for everyone, but someone has to work on it, find problems,
    and help to fix them. I am using it full time now except for occasional tv
    watching nad I am loving it....I have my old 32bit install still sitting
    there in dual boot until I can either get some Leadtek drivers for my
    capture card OR find a suitable replacement that already has 64bit
    drivers....

    The search goes on....

    -Keith Schaefer

    Keith, May 9, 2005
  11. Yes, Charlie really made it very clear about x64.

    Andre Da Costa, May 9, 2005
  12. > That being said, I love being on the cutting edge (sometimess bleeding
    > edge!) hence my love of being on the MS Beta teams since W2k...I have
    > ran even server versions on the desktop for months at a time, using
    > them for everything from gaming to actual file serving. Yes, I have
    > pooched some installs and had a go at it again. Quite frankly, I get
    > bored with the same old stuff!!! My desktop pc typically gets a major
    > upgrade every 6 months and replaced every year. I am perfect for
    > testing since I am so used to setting up, installing, formatting, and
    > repeating.

    Bleeding edge is when I was "dual" booting into 4 different operating systems
    on my machine, and not one of them was a shipping product! Really bleeding
    edge was when I was trying to write my first book, on Norton Desktop for
    Windows, working with a very early beta of NDW running on top of a beta of
    Windows 3.0, and trying to actually use the same computer to run everything
    on. So I actually had that beta of Windows running inside a DesqView window
    so that when it crashed, I didn't lose everything.

    These days, I generally keep my main machine on something that's at least
    close to a released product. ;) But now that is very shortly going to be
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. And it will have some warts, but it will
    also be a learning experience, and fun.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 10, 2005
  13. Dennis

    Kevin Lowe Guest

    The irony here is that a guy who doesn't appreciate it already has a copy,
    while the rest of us who enjoy tweaking, tuning, and so on are all still
    pending.

    Hey, buddy, if you don't like it, send it to one of us.

    Kevin Lowe, May 10, 2005
  14. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    You ALL get me wrong, I NEVER said that I did not like it and lets face it
    you can ALL obtain a copy if you really wanted it.

    My MAIN point was WHY release a product without proper support from other
    hardware and software suppliers etc. Do ALL the testing etc. BEFORE
    releasing it on to the market.

    You are ALL welcome to be on the edge, but for me computers are a TOOL and
    should be used as such, not a device for a company, like MS, to make MORE
    money on the backs of others doing their dirty work for them.

    If I want to learn and test I will go back to college, but if I want
    something to actually do what I pay for then I expect it to be supported by
    others BEFORE it is released.

    Surely TALKING to others FIRST to get their co-operation etc. would be GOOD.

    I can see the major benefits of the x64 systems, of course I can, but
    release it when the rest of the world are ready for it, NOT before.

    Dennis, May 10, 2005
  15. I do believe Windows x64 is riding the thin line between 'for early
    adoption' and simply 'too early' but hell, it is what it is. I can't
    complain.

    Rafael Rivera
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], May 10, 2005
  16. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Yep I agree you said it correctly "TOO EARLY"

    "Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
    message news:OzJ8$...

    Dennis, May 10, 2005
  17. It's the chicken and the egg paradox. Windows XP x64 will not have wide
    adoption until it has full 3rd party driver support, and Windows XP x64 will
    not have full 3rd party support until it has a wide adoption.

    Building a 64-bit app or 64-bit drivers isn't quite as easy as opening up
    the project and flipping a few compile time options. It takes time, and some
    companies have better things to do than write apps/drivers for a platform
    with 1% of the market share of the 32-bit version. With time drivers and apps
    will come, until then re-install XP 32-bit.

    =?Utf-8?B?YXhpcw==?=, May 10, 2005
  18. Dennis

    John Barnes Guest

    Think that's why there is no retail release???

    John Barnes, May 10, 2005
  19. "....when the PC world moved from 16bit to 32bit .. it was slow at first ... as
    you can see the change eventually happened in a BIG way....."

    If I recall correctly, WinXP had no serious issues at launch that weren't
    corrected quickly via incremental updates.

    x64 is simply being released much, much too early. Most hardware doesn't
    even have drivers available yet. And as for the "testing it for everyone
    else" schol of thought; don't flatter yourself. x64 has been in beta-testing
    for a considerable time now. And there are still hardly any drivers
    available.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNHQg==?=, May 10, 2005
  20. Driver support is low, thats a known issue, particularly in the scanner and
    camera area as you mentioned.

    Whats curious to me is the portion of your statement that WMP and OE dont
    work? What problems are you having in that area?

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 10, 2005