Done After 9 Years of Selling on EBay

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by gojody, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. gojody

    gojody Guest

    At one time I had months where I
    paid over $1000 in seller fees. And an average month was
    $700+ in fees. The last few months, I've had this down to
    about $60 a month -- and next month, it'll be $0. Each time
    Ebay did something to try to steal more from me, I adjusted the
    amount that I was willing to pay out to them in fees.

    If you do a completed search on my ID, you'll see I had about 300
    items listed in the last month, and you can also see from my ID
    history, that I've been around for quite awhile (since
    1998). In addition to the few thousand feedbacks I have on
    this ID, I also have several other IDs with additional
    buying/selling feedback. So I really do speak from some
    experience.

    What I've found is that almost every single Ebay change over the
    last few years, has been specifically targeted to gouge sellers,
    increase fraud, and to reduce customer service.

    The fees have spiraled out of control, not just with listing and
    store increases, but with the "silent" increases like
    making changes to increase fraud so there were more failed sales,
    adding more "features" which were necessary to use in
    order to be competitive, or making it difficult/impossible to get
    credits, etc.

    Fraud is apparently Ebay's friend, as it allows them to charge
    sellers many times to "sell" the same item. So
    Ebay has done everything possible to encourage deadbeat bidders
    with multiple IDs. There is no verification, the blocked
    bidder list is useless (deadbeats can sign up for more IDs and
    bid again -- even use an alternate ID registered to the same
    name/address -- to get around the blocked bidders list).
    And even if you report someone as a deadbeat, and provide proof,
    Ebay will often remove the strike if they ask.

    Any communication to customer service is either completely
    ignored, or responded to with a form letter that has nothing to
    do with the problem. "Store Support" is allowed
    to scream at you on the phone and hang up. Emails to any of
    the "Bill Cobb" addresses aren't even answered with a
    non-responsive form letter anymore, they're just ignored.

    And as a "buyer" I've found that the prices aren't
    competitive with other websites anymore, and many times the
    seller is trying to scam, and just sends garbage (if anything at
    all) instead of the advertised item(s).

    Congratulations Meg Whitman, you destroyed what was once a
    fantastic site, and one that had held out promise of helping a
    lot of people fulfill their dreams!
    ---------

    I have done the same thing! One month my fees were $2,400 and
    when the fees kept going up I would list less and less and with
    no bidders I closed my store because they were not showing in
    the searches.
    ----------

    Ebay has never taken a win/win approach with their sellers.
    Sellers who provide all the items and 99% of the work that make
    eBay what it is.

    Most of my family and friends are former eBay fans. Now, most of
    them will have nothing to do with eBay.

    You can only act like tyrants for so long before people will turn
    their
    backs on you and leave.
    ---------

    Most of my sales come from Yahoo Groups and craigslist.
    EBay has become a farce. EBay stores being the biggest farce.
    ---------

    Great post.
    PMD
    ---------

    Yes, a rarity in these parts.

    Mac
    ---------

    you have to keep raising the price of products just to cover what
    you're paying ebay to list!

    for instance, i listed a mere 6 items the other day (not thru a
    store),
    at a cost to me of $2.40. these were items listed at $9.99 or less.

    i've sold ONE item for $9.99, so i have to deduct what I paid in
    insertion fees for all of them, plus the final value fee of the ONE
    sale..
    only to find out how much it sucks!

    sales are not as good anymore, & whoever said listing a 7-day sale on
    saturday is nuts.

    it's wayyyyy too expensive to list many items these days!
    ---------

    Ebay has really become a place where the only one that makes money is
    EBAY.
    They and their sister hit you for most if not all of the profits. Im
    done
    after this month. My store actually will close the 14th. I wouldnt
    care if
    the place went away after the way the treat the good sellers.
    ----------

    Ebay USED TO BE A FUN hobby for me. Now it's become
    too expensive to list inexpensive items that may or may not sell.
    It was finding good homes for those small, day-to-day items
    that made me enjoy the hobby.

    I don't list much on ebay anymore. There's too much competition
    elsewhere that costs little or nothing to list on.

    Yeah, I still run a few ebay auctions, but not many.
    ---------

    Logan1, I'll be joining you shortly in the next few weeks, working
    on lot listings for a big sale. Having to go back to college to
    get another degree, the time vs the hassle is not going to be
    worth it. Getting a part time job seems more logical to help pay
    for school expenses.

    I also do not see eBay getting better. Once a downward spiral
    starts to happen it is very hard to stop that momentum. eBay will
    never be what it started as and I really do not see how they can
    pull themselves back up working in the best interest of the buyers
    as well as sellers. They have gone too far down.
    ---------

    I hope no one will take this personally.....but eBay sellers (as a
    group)
    have never given eBay any reason to "give a crap about sellers".

    For the last 9 or 10 years, eBay sellers have proven that eBay can
    disregard their sellers and do whatever they want.

    Most eBay sellers will stick with eBay regardless of how much
    eBay tightens the screws.
    ----------

    heh...I quit selling on here a couple years ago as well.
    It wasn't as much the fees as it was other idiot sellers
    who were new and didn't understand the fee structure.
    You know and I know how much that auction they ran costs.
    ---------

    It's like the sellers listing their DVDs which consitently sell for $6
    including S&H

    40 cents listing fee
    30 cents FVF fee
    48 cents PayPal fee
    $1.50 postage
    25 cents Bubble Mailer

    $6.00 minus -$2.92 = $3.08

    And the same sellers are buying DVDs in lots for $3.00 to $3.50 each.

    No matter how you spin/crunch the numbers for them, they still
    believe they are making a profit. And more sellers join the bandwagon
    every week.
    ---------

    I didn't include trips to the post office (gas) or paying to relist
    unsold
    items (sellthru rate 15% to 40%). Defective DVDs that you end up
    eating.

    They still insist they are making a profit.

    I would estimate 80% to 90% of sellers listing DVDs, CDs, Books, etc
    individually, could cut their hours in half and make just as much
    money
    selling the same items in lots of 10 to 20.

    1 DVD - Postage $1.50 x 20 = $30.00 media mail
    20 DVDs - Postage $4.50 media mail
    ---------

    I just wanted to add that after 5 years on EBAY I am in the process
    of
    closing down as well. There are three different events changing EBAY
    from an auction site to a low price garage sale. 1) Far two many
    sellers
    listing items dirt cheap not realizing they will probably lose money
    on
    the transaction. 2) Fees have continually gone up, slowly eating away
    at
    any small profit that sellers were making. 3)All of EBAY emphasis is
    on
    sellers either offering Discount Pricing, Free Shipping, or some
    other
    cost savings for the buyer. Hell, as far as they are concerned they
    couldn't care less about the sellers making a profit. They get their
    fees regardless.
    ---------

    add me to the list, i'm done too. i have just a few more items to
    list.
    i have been a power seller for the last 8 years or so on my real id.
    i have weathered all i am going to weather. fees have gone thru the
    roof.
    ---------

    And, I absolutely don't need you to coach me on running a business.
    My business is doing just fine WITHOUT Ebay, and your 9 MONTHS of
    selling
    on Ebay doesn't qualify you to lecture me on the 9 YEARS that I sold
    on Ebay.
    ---------

    You can list your items for free and pay absolutely no fees.

    Depending on what you sale, the price range, sellthru rate, etc.
    you may be better off paying fees and sticking with eBay.

    It's not always an either/or decision.

    I wouldn't list anything on eBay that doesn't consistently sell for
    $15.00 and up (with a starting bid of $9.99).

    I keep 500+ DVDs CDs Videos listed for free, and let the buyers
    choose the titles they want.

    It would cost me $200 to list the same titles on eBay for 3 to 7 days.
    I wouldn't consider listing them on eBay.
    ---------

    Good for you, Logan. These fly-by-nights patronizing a seasoned
    seller....
    they are the problem for eBay's deterioration, in big part anyway.
    Wise guys knowing it all, so they claim.

    If it wasn't for the high numbers of these gullable ignorants, eBay
    could
    not (would not) be getting away with their garbage.
    But, hey, these "surplus dude" types.... no problem, shooting off
    their
    big mouth, while no substannce is behind it... travesty!
    ---------

    OK, I've been in this as long as you. And despite the inevitable
    respond with such incites as "dont let the door hit ya in the ass" and
    such, I find your experiences identical to mine.

    Ebays changes are very similar to the demise to the "flea market" in
    the 80'sand 90's. Back then I sold there and did pretty good. I used
    to sweep thru a few markets during my first ebay years and did well
    with that also. I'd go home with a truckload of stuff to auction off
    and a Sunday morning usually netted me a few hundred bucks easy.

    Look at the scene now: Most of the so-called sellers are dollar store
    owners, over-ripe produce sellers, junk jewelry sellers etc. It's not
    a flea market anymore. Its a bizzar or a carny sideshow. Last time I
    was at a big one there were two forture tellers! Many semitrailers
    parked in the back rows. these are not guys cleaning out their attics.
    The place is sold out before sunrise. The few real sellers are swamped
    by the bulk dealers with their tube socks and brand new dollar store
    junk that nobody wants.

    this same mentality has taken over lots of catagories in ebay. You
    cant fight it. These people will sell hundreds of lots and if they
    make a starvation wage doing it they will hang in there. If they dont
    make enough bucks, they can always just keep the money and forget
    about shipping the product.

    Meanwhile ebay makes it all the more difficult for us. 10 years ago
    listing was a breeze. Forget "Mr. Lister" or "Turbo lister" or
    whatever. The regular "List my Item" was ONE SINGLE PAGE! You could
    bang off listings in a minute. You could even modify the page yourself
    and make it even faster. There was no NEXT......NEXT.....NEXT
    nonsense, no Javascript.

    And just about everything sold! With multiple bids! You had bids days
    before the auction ended, not minutes or seconds. I'd gladly pay the
    listing fees if this was the situation today. But if you sell only
    half your stuff, you are paying double listing fees. Sell the average
    of 30 % and you are paying triple. And thats if you shun PayPal that
    syphons off another 5 to 10 percent. Way more if you have a sale of a
    cheap and heavy item.

    I'll never give up altogether. There are always a few items that make
    sense to auction off. But the glory days are over for sellers of
    collectibles, personal stuff, household odds-n-ends. Ebay belongs to
    the pros who work on very narrow profit margins.

    It was a sweet ride, but now its over.
    ----------
    gojody, Mar 23, 2007

  2. Aaron J. Bossig, Mar 24, 2007

  3. gojody

    MassiveProng Guest

    On 23 Mar 2007 12:36:20 -0700, "gojody" <> Gave us:

    >At one time

    Fucking off topic Usenet retard!

    We don't want to hear your fucking retarded piss and moan whiney ass
    fucking cry baby bullshit.

    So **** off.

    Post your CRAP where it belongs and leave alt.video.dvd OUT of your
    retarded pissing and moaning, BOY!
    MassiveProng, Mar 24, 2007
  4. gojody

    Telstar Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On 23 Mar 2007 12:36:20 -0700, "gojody" <> Gave us:
    >
    >>At one time

    > Fucking off topic Usenet retard!
    >
    > We don't want to hear your fucking retarded piss and moan whiney ass
    > fucking cry baby bullshit.
    >
    > So **** off.
    >
    > Post your CRAP where it belongs and leave alt.video.dvd OUT of your
    > retarded pissing and moaning, BOY!

    You are the idiot. Your response is, in fact, off topic.

    And you do not represent, by any stretch of intelligence, WE.

    You represent and signify mental problems.
    Telstar, Mar 24, 2007
  5. gojody

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 01:55:26 -0700, "Telstar" <> Gave us:

    >"MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On 23 Mar 2007 12:36:20 -0700, "gojody" <> Gave us:
    >>
    >>>At one time

    >> Fucking off topic Usenet retard!
    >>
    >> We don't want to hear your fucking retarded piss and moan whiney ass
    >> fucking cry baby bullshit.
    >>
    >> So **** off.
    >>
    >> Post your CRAP where it belongs and leave alt.video.dvd OUT of your
    >> retarded pissing and moaning, BOY!

    >You are the idiot. Your response is, in fact, off topic.
    >
    >And you do not represent, by any stretch of intelligence, WE.
    >
    >You represent and signify mental problems.

    How was this post relevant in alt.video.dvd, you fucking retard!?
    MassiveProng, Mar 24, 2007
  6. gojody

    Justin Guest

    Telstar wrote on [Sat, 24 Mar 2007 01:55:26 -0700]:

    > "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> On 23 Mar 2007 12:36:20 -0700, "gojody" <> Gave us:
    >>
    >>>At one time

    >> Fucking off topic Usenet retard!
    >>
    >> We don't want to hear your fucking retarded piss and moan whiney ass
    >> fucking cry baby bullshit.
    >>
    >> So **** off.
    >>
    >> Post your CRAP where it belongs and leave alt.video.dvd OUT of your
    >> retarded pissing and moaning, BOY!

    > You are the idiot. Your response is, in fact, off topic.

    The initial post was off topic, moron

    > And you do not represent, by any stretch of intelligence, WE.

    In this aspect he does

    > You represent and signify mental problems.

    You're a tool.
    Justin, Mar 27, 2007