Domainz hosted exchange. Anything better?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, Oct 31, 2008.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Hi guys, I have finally persuaded my client to pay for a hosted
    exchange service with Domainz. It has 50mb of data and they are
    charging under $200 per year per mailbox. There are no other setup
    costs.

    We will want three mailboxes and will use the data storage for
    documents we share between our three different locations and our
    laptops when working elsewhere.

    Before I commit us to this, does anyone have other recommendations for
    hosted exchange?

    To summarise, what we want achieve is this:

    - Have shared access to key files. We are currently having to upload
    to Google Docs. Sharepoint would have been an alternative option but
    is really expensive.

    - Be able to send and receive emails wherever we are. Webmail is not
    an option because our isp doesn't provide a decent service and our
    useless webmasters locked us in with iserve.

    We were quoted $5k to set up our own exchange server and the client
    isn't interested in spending that much at present.

    Grateful for any input or suggestions.

    Jo

    Boppy, Oct 31, 2008

  2. Boppy

    EMB Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > We were quoted $5k to set up our own exchange server and the client
    > isn't interested in spending that much at present.

    Someone saw them coming. You can buy a new server with Windows 2003 SBS
    for well under $2000 - follow the wizard to configure it and you have
    instant exchange.

    EMB, Oct 31, 2008

  3. Boppy

    EMB Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 10:17:55 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Someone saw them coming. You can buy a new server with Windows 2003 SBS
    >> for well under $2000 - follow the wizard to configure it and you have
    >> instant exchange.

    > Or you can download and set up any of the Open Source MS Exchange or
    > sharepoint replacements. They work on Linux - a much better server/
    > desktop platform.

    SBS and follow the wizards is a far better bet for a technically unsavvy
    person.

    EMB, Nov 1, 2008
  4. Boppy

    EMB Guest

    thing wrote:
    > Collector€NZ wrote:
    >> thing wrote:

    >>> but that $200 is all up, no admin, no backups, no tapes, no hardware,
    >>> no hassle....
    >>>
    >>> regards...
    >>>
    >>> Thing

    >> But that is placing a big faith in this organization, you have no control

    > Very true...but if you are a small organisation you dont have or can
    > afford to have a full time IT person, or realistically 3....So a managed
    > service makes a lot of sense....

    The 50MB mailbox that was being quoted wasn't worth tuppence though - at
    that size it can merely be used as a dropbox so backups are pretty
    irrelevant.

    EMB, Nov 1, 2008
  5. Boppy

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-31, Boppy <> wrote:
    > Hi guys, I have finally persuaded my client to pay for a hosted
    > exchange service with Domainz. It has 50mb of data and they are
    > charging under $200 per year per mailbox. There are no other setup
    > costs.
    >
    > We will want three mailboxes and will use the data storage for
    > documents we share between our three different locations and our
    > laptops when working elsewhere.
    >
    > Before I commit us to this, does anyone have other recommendations for
    > hosted exchange?
    >
    > To summarise, what we want achieve is this:
    >
    > - Have shared access to key files. We are currently having to upload
    > to Google Docs. Sharepoint would have been an alternative option but
    > is really expensive.
    >
    > - Be able to send and receive emails wherever we are. Webmail is not
    > an option because our isp doesn't provide a decent service and our
    > useless webmasters locked us in with iserve.
    >
    > We were quoted $5k to set up our own exchange server and the client
    > isn't interested in spending that much at present.
    >
    > Grateful for any input or suggestions.

    Shit this sounds commmerical, what is my/out fee/cut?

    Gordon, Nov 1, 2008