    between them i am giving a message says "smal bussines
    server dosent support this command." is there any way to
    make trust relations between them?
    Kenan, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Kenan

    Marko Guest

    GDay

    SmallBS was marketed as an economical way for small
    businesses to get Windows Server products all in one box.
    So you get Server, Exchange, Proxy, SQL, and a bunch of
    other normally seperate products, all bundled in one box
    for one low price. Lots of advantages, not just pricing.
    The administration wizards were geared towards simplicity.

    So there are a couple of catches:

    First versions were limited to 25 client connections,
    later 50. No matter how many CALs you try to add.

    Most product could not be installed independantly of other
    product, and certainly not on other machines. ie "borrow"
    the Proxy and install on a seperate box.

    Cannot interconnect with other domain controllers. So any
    servers you try to add to a SBS domain must be standalone
    servers, not member, PDC or BDC. Vice versa is also true:
    you can't add SBS to an existing domain.

    And so to the problem at hand: another catch is that you
    cannot connect SBS domains to other domains.
    Specifically, Micro$oft did not want you to buy SBS for
    all regional offices and connect them back to central
    servers with trust relationships.

    The answer to your query is: Product is crippled by
    design. There is no registry hack or other method to make
    this work.

    Sorry...

    Marko

    connections

    Marko, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Kenan

    billyw Guest

    actually i'm sure i read there was a way round the trust issue.

    can't recall what it is...

    search google

    billyw, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Kenan

    Marko Guest

    GDay

    I don't mind if I am shown to be wrong, but check these
    for more clues:

    (from the blurb on one of the sales partners disks I have):
    Small Business Server - Considerations

    The SBS 2000 component server applications are not limited
    from the shipping Standard versions other than the fact
    that their usage is subject to the parameters outlined
    below:

    All of the component server applications in the Small
    Business Server 2000 suite must be installed on a single
    server machine.
    A maximum of 50 workstations can be connected to a Small
    Business Server 2000 network. This also limits the number
    of workstations that can access any of the component
    server applications.
    Small Business Server must be set up as the root Domain
    Controller of an Active Directory forest, which prevents
    Small Business Server from serving as a corporate branch
    office or divisional server of a larger organisation with
    an existing Active Directory or NT4-based domain
    infrastructure. Moreover, trusts with other Active
    Directory forests are not allowed, which means that a user
    will not be able to set up an explicit trust with another
    domain, and the Exchange Server in Small Business Server
    is not permitted to connect to other Exchange Servers
    outside of the Small Business Server 2000 domain.
    Client Access Licenses are enforced through Client Add-on
    disks that must be purchased separately. The License
    Manager Control Panel applet is not included in Small
    Business Server 2000.

    http://members.microsoft.com/partner/products/Servers/Small
    BusinessServer/guidelines.aspx ; read the bit
    about "Server"

    How to: ;(note Win2K SBS is not an option)

    us;306733

    us;255551

    us;295335

    Marko, Jul 17, 2003
  5. Kenan

    Marko Guest

    Marko, Jul 17, 2003
  6. Kenan

    billyw Guest

    yes i know..

    but i did read on the sbs group, i think, that while installing if you use a
    w2k srv rather than the sbs w2k srv disk you can get round this.
    i believe there was some other caveats to this, but dont remember what. I've
    never tried it so can't vouch for the validity of it

    billyw, Jul 17, 2003
  7. Kenan

    Marko Guest

    >yes i know..
    >
    >but i did read on the sbs group, i think, that while

    installing if you use a
    >w2k srv rather than the sbs w2k srv disk you can get

    round this.
    >i believe there was some other caveats to this, but dont

    remember what. I've
    >never tried it so can't vouch for the validity of it

    OK. But if you use w2k srv disk it is no longer a SBS
    installation.

    Next problem is that none of the other product can be
    split and installed on the win2k srv install. The
    original media is not win2k on one disk, proxy on one
    disk, Exchange on another, etc.

    There is no *legal* way to split the product. Hence,
    there is no way to make the product work opposite to the
    way it was specifically designed (read: crippled).

    Sorry Billy, but I think your recollection was not
    specific to how this issue can be solved in any way, but
    maybe to something else?
    Marko, Jul 17, 2003
  8. Kenan

    billyw Guest

    no the issue can be resolved, but not in a way that would please MS

    billyw, Jul 17, 2003