Domain registration Chicken/Egg dilemma

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Quordlepleen, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. I am trying to register a new domain, domainxxx.co.nz, and I've just
    discovered that my US-based host, who I've used for two years with my
    own .com domain, can't register .co.nz domains, but could transfer it.
    So, I went to try to register it with Domainz, but failed because it
    performed a "name authoritativeness search" on the domain name I was
    trying to register, and , of course, couldn't find any servers that
    recognised it. So, as it stands, I can't transfer the domain because it
    isn't registered, and I can't register it because there are no servers
    configured to recognise it. Is there a way around this?

    --
    If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

    http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html
    Max Quordlepleen, Feb 24, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Max Quordlepleen

    Chris Guest

    Max Quordlepleen <> wrote in
    news::

    > I am trying to register a new domain, domainxxx.co.nz, and I've just
    > discovered that my US-based host, who I've used for two years with my
    > own .com domain, can't register .co.nz domains, but could transfer it.
    > So, I went to try to register it with Domainz, but failed because it
    > performed a "name authoritativeness search" on the domain name I was
    > trying to register, and , of course, couldn't find any servers that
    > recognised it. So, as it stands, I can't transfer the domain because it
    > isn't registered, and I can't register it because there are no servers
    > configured to recognise it. Is there a way around this?
    >


    If the domain name is not recognised by any servers (and I'm assuming you
    mean DNS's) then it can't be already registered or it has just been
    reserved and the details haven't updated.

    If I go to http://www.domains.co.nz/ type in domainxxx.co.nz and click "go"
    it tells me that the domain name is available - and then I can buy it. If
    your doing the same as this and it is saying that there arn't any servers
    configured for it maybe someone else has reserved the domain and the
    details hadn't updated when you looked (I'm assuming your doing some kind
    of "whois" check that is telling you this server configuration info)

    --
    Chris

    "Two men walk into a bar. You'd think the second one would've ducked..."
    Chris, Feb 24, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Max Quordlepleen

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:00:23 +1300, Max Quordlepleen
    <> wrote:

    >I am trying to register a new domain, domainxxx.co.nz, and I've just
    >discovered that my US-based host, who I've used for two years with my
    >own .com domain, can't register .co.nz domains, but could transfer it.
    >So, I went to try to register it with Domainz, but failed because it
    >performed a "name authoritativeness search" on the domain name I was
    >trying to register, and , of course, couldn't find any servers that
    >recognised it. So, as it stands, I can't transfer the domain because it
    >isn't registered, and I can't register it because there are no servers
    >configured to recognise it. Is there a way around this?


    I assume you mean it's available, but they won't do the actual
    registration of the domain name for you. Get them to configure their
    name servers to answer for it first, then register it yourself at
    domainz.
    Craig Shore, Feb 24, 2004
    #3
  4. Max Quordlepleen

    Allistar Guest

    Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > I am trying to register a new domain, domainxxx.co.nz


    domainxxx.co.nz eh? Moving into the porn business are we?
    Allistar, Feb 24, 2004
    #4
  5. On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:54:00 GMT, Allistar <>
    proffered, in : news:_WN_b.28266$:

    > Max Quordlepleen wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to register a new domain, domainxxx.co.nz

    >
    > domainxxx.co.nz eh? Moving into the porn business are we?


    Well, I wanted something a _little_ more discreet than
    redhotbarnyardsluts.co.nz. :)


    Actually, I rang Domainz this morning, and was very ably assisted by
    two different staffers - both very helpful, friendly and knowledgable.
    Kudos to Domainz for the quality of its staff.

    --
    OE - Orrible Excuse for a newsreader
    http://Xnews.newsguy.com
    Max Quordlepleen, Feb 24, 2004
    #5
  6. Max Quordlepleen

    Max Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:54:51 +1300, Max Quordlepleen
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:54:00 GMT, Allistar <>
    >proffered, in : news:_WN_b.28266$:
    >
    >> Max Quordlepleen wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to register a new domain, domainxxx.co.nz

    >>
    >> domainxxx.co.nz eh? Moving into the porn business are we?

    >
    >Well, I wanted something a _little_ more discreet than
    >redhotbarnyardsluts.co.nz. :)
    >
    >
    >Actually, I rang Domainz this morning, and was very ably assisted by
    >two different staffers - both very helpful, friendly and knowledgable.
    >Kudos to Domainz for the quality of its staff.


    Well you will be paying for it. Domainz are now owned by an aussie
    company. You should ahve checked out the dnc.org.nz for a list of
    registrars, as you can register domains for far less than domainz
    charges, and also support an NZ owned company.
    Max, Feb 25, 2004
    #6
  7. Max Quordlepleen

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:54:51 +1300, Max Quordlepleen
    <> wrote:
    >
    >Actually, I rang Domainz this morning, and was very ably assisted by
    >two different staffers - both very helpful, friendly and knowledgable.
    >Kudos to Domainz for the quality of its staff.
    >

    Gerrrk! I've never heard anything like that said about DomaiNZ! Ever!
    The moon really is made of green cheese.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 25, 2004
    #7
  8. Max Quordlepleen

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:10:19 GMT, Chris <> wrote:

    >Max Quordlepleen <> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> I am trying to register a new domain, domainxxx.co.nz, and I've just
    >> discovered that my US-based host, who I've used for two years with my
    >> own .com domain, can't register .co.nz domains, but could transfer it.
    >> So, I went to try to register it with Domainz, but failed because it
    >> performed a "name authoritativeness search" on the domain name I was
    >> trying to register, and , of course, couldn't find any servers that
    >> recognised it. So, as it stands, I can't transfer the domain because it
    >> isn't registered, and I can't register it because there are no servers
    >> configured to recognise it. Is there a way around this?
    >>

    >
    >If the domain name is not recognised by any servers (and I'm assuming you
    >mean DNS's) then it can't be already registered or it has just been
    >reserved and the details haven't updated.
    >

    No, he's talking about further on in the process. When you come to the
    penultimate step (or near to it), it asks what DNS servers will be
    used for your Domain. (authoratative, actually).

    You either have to have someone predefine your Domain Name in their
    DNS or you ask the registrar if you can use theirs. In this case the
    registrar pre-defines the Domain Name in their DNS servers and carries
    on with the process.

    The process is:

    1) create a zone record in two DNS servers somewhere.
    2) register the Domain Name with a registrar.

    I do 1) for my clients, and then they go off and do 2), specifying my
    DNS servers in the process. Registrars often conflate the two steps
    and allow the user to specify their DNS servers, but there are
    definitely two steps.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 25, 2004
    #8
  9. On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:02:28 GMT, Enkidu <>
    proffered, in : news::

    > Gerrrk! I've never heard anything like that said about DomaiNZ! Ever!
    > The moon really is made of green cheese.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >

    Well, then, I guess I struck it lucky. :-รพ

    --
    Though this be method, yet there is madness in 't

    http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html
    Max Quordlepleen, Feb 25, 2004
    #9
  10. Max Quordlepleen

    Chris Guest

    Enkidu <> wrote in
    news::


    > The process is:
    >
    > 1) create a zone record in two DNS servers somewhere.
    > 2) register the Domain Name with a registrar.
    >
    > I do 1) for my clients, and then they go off and do 2), specifying my
    > DNS servers in the process. Registrars often conflate the two steps
    > and allow the user to specify their DNS servers, but there are
    > definitely two steps.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff


    OK, thanks 4 taking the time to explain that. It sounded to me they had
    checked the domain name and then when to register it.

    --
    Chris

    "Two men walk into a bar. You'd think the second one would've ducked..."
    Chris, Feb 25, 2004
    #10
  11. On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:54:51 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > Well, I wanted something a _little_ more discreet than
    > redhotbarnyardsluts.co.nz. :)


    Ah, so _that's_ where the chickens and eggs come into it :)

    Richard
    Richard Hector, Feb 28, 2004
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JaR
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    432
  2. Bobby

    Domain Registration

    Bobby, Aug 14, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    460
    Gary G. Taylor
    Aug 15, 2003
  3. JD
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    855
    Plato
    Jul 8, 2004
  4. Simon Marchini

    Chicken or Egg?

    Simon Marchini, Jul 23, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    429
    Tumbleweed
    Jul 24, 2003
  5. Limited Wisdom
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    753
    Jonathan Roberts
    Sep 13, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page