Domain registrar and hosting recommendations.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Damajah, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. Damajah

    Damajah Guest

    Hi,
    I am a NZ citizen, currently overseas, looking at doing business in NZ
    and AU and eventually moving back to NZ. I would like to set up a 4
    domain names all pointing to the same website / email domain. 2 .co.nzs
    and 2 .com.aus

    I require an IMAPS server to run on the host for more than 1 (but
    probably less than say 20) email addresses (folders to be stored on the
    site), as well as a few web apps like Bugzilla, Subversion, a Wiki ,
    webmail that works on the same folders as the imap server, and some
    blogging stuff, and perhaps a forum, over https as well as http, all
    fairly standard LAMP stuff. I dont think I will need a shell though,
    some form of file transfer access should be enough.

    Probably a shared server would be initially sufficient, but ideally a
    flexible provider that lets me upgrade to my own server would be nice.

    Most of the packages seem to offer a fairly stingy amount of disk space
    for the money though, I currently have a .de with 2 Gigs and pay around
    the same as what only buys me 10 Megs in .nz from the bit of surfing I
    have seen. I will need around 500 Megs at least initially. I dont think
    traffic would be too much, but once again, a flexible provider would
    probably be nice, one that wont kill my site if I get dugg or
    slashdotted nor charge me huge per meg rates if something like that
    happens.

    Anyway enough waffling. Can anyone recommend any good value providers
    that might meet my needs? Are there any restrictions on who can
    register .nz and .au domains? Do I have to reside there or anything?

    Thanks
    Kurt

    Damajah, Dec 22, 2006

  2. Damajah

    Vista Guest

    "Damajah" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am a NZ citizen, currently overseas, looking at doing business in NZ
    > and AU and eventually moving back to NZ. I would like to set up a 4
    > domain names all pointing to the same website / email domain. 2 .co.nzs
    > and 2 .com.aus
    >
    > I require an IMAPS server to run on the host for more than 1 (but
    > probably less than say 20) email addresses (folders to be stored on the
    > site), as well as a few web apps like Bugzilla, Subversion, a Wiki ,
    > webmail that works on the same folders as the imap server, and some
    > blogging stuff, and perhaps a forum, over https as well as http, all
    > fairly standard LAMP stuff. I dont think I will need a shell though,
    > some form of file transfer access should be enough.
    >
    > Probably a shared server would be initially sufficient, but ideally a
    > flexible provider that lets me upgrade to my own server would be nice.
    >
    > Most of the packages seem to offer a fairly stingy amount of disk space
    > for the money though, I currently have a .de with 2 Gigs and pay around
    > the same as what only buys me 10 Megs in .nz from the bit of surfing I
    > have seen. I will need around 500 Megs at least initially. I dont think
    > traffic would be too much, but once again, a flexible provider would
    > probably be nice, one that wont kill my site if I get dugg or
    > slashdotted nor charge me huge per meg rates if something like that
    > happens.
    >
    > Anyway enough waffling. Can anyone recommend any good value providers
    > that might meet my needs? Are there any restrictions on who can
    > register .nz and .au domains? Do I have to reside there or anything?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kurt

    You have to be an australian to register a .au domain. The main reason why
    NZ hosts don't offer more diskspace, is because the more diskspace you use,
    the more traffic you churn through, and bandwidth is expensive in NZ. I have
    found that most websites are under 50MB in size. Hosts that offer GBs of
    diskspace will usually have major restrictions on what you can use the space
    for, such as 90% of the files must be linked to webpages, and they often
    only allow you to upload certain types of files, which excludes video and
    audio and very large image files. Also server reliability is a factor with
    these low cost, huge diskspace hosts. Some I know of only achieve 90% uptime
    per month, some are even worse. Also the more data that is on the server,
    the longer the server takes to restore should it's harddrive die.

    Vista, Dec 22, 2006

  3. Damajah

    Enkidu Guest

    Damajah wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am a NZ citizen, currently overseas, looking at doing business in NZ
    > and AU and eventually moving back to NZ. I would like to set up a 4
    > domain names all pointing to the same website / email domain. 2 .co.nzs
    > and 2 .com.aus
    >
    > I require an IMAPS server to run on the host for more than 1 (but
    > probably less than say 20) email addresses (folders to be stored on the
    > site), as well as a few web apps like Bugzilla, Subversion, a Wiki ,
    > webmail that works on the same folders as the imap server, and some
    > blogging stuff, and perhaps a forum, over https as well as http, all
    > fairly standard LAMP stuff. I dont think I will need a shell though,
    > some form of file transfer access should be enough.
    >
    > Probably a shared server would be initially sufficient, but ideally a
    > flexible provider that lets me upgrade to my own server would be nice.
    >
    > Most of the packages seem to offer a fairly stingy amount of disk space
    > for the money though, I currently have a .de with 2 Gigs and pay around
    > the same as what only buys me 10 Megs in .nz from the bit of surfing I
    > have seen. I will need around 500 Megs at least initially. I dont think
    > traffic would be too much, but once again, a flexible provider would
    > probably be nice, one that wont kill my site if I get dugg or
    > slashdotted nor charge me huge per meg rates if something like that
    > happens.
    >
    > Anyway enough waffling. Can anyone recommend any good value providers
    > that might meet my needs? Are there any restrictions on who can
    > register .nz and .au domains? Do I have to reside there or anything?

    Can't you keep the .de one?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?