    connection. Currently we have half our notebooks unable to connect and it is
    obviously a great deal of work to go through each computer and reattach. Is
    there a solution or a better way?

    =?Utf-8?B?R2lsZXMgV2VuZGVz?=, Nov 1, 2006

  2. Have seen similar issues to this (can't guarantee they are the same). With
    wireless notebooks there is a delay before the wireless connection works.
    Basically if you boot up the laptop and try to log in straight away as a user
    then you won't be able to. If you wait at least 2/3 minutes at the login
    screen stage before actually logging in then they work (or they did for us).

    If you log in as local administrator then that gives the notebook time to
    find the wireless connection before logging out and logging back in as a user.
    If you have previosuly logged into the domain with the administrator account
    then you may be logging in with cached credentials and again this gives time
    to establish the connection before you log in as a user.

    This happens whenever a user logs in for the first time from that particular
    notebook.

    If this is the same type of symptom you are getting then the users just need
    to be educated.

    Regards

    =?Utf-8?B?SVRTZXJ2aWNlRGVzaw==?=, Nov 1, 2006

  3. Very similar. I've found that some will connect after a few minutes but some
    will never connect again - until I remove and reattach to the domain.

    I suppose that what is needed is a peice of software to force the notebook
    to establish the connection. It doesn't seem to be related to the NIC or
    software/driver version - is this a Windows bug?

    =?Utf-8?B?R2lsZXMgV2VuZGVz?=, Nov 2, 2006
  4. I'm experiancing the same symptom (I'm also in an academic setting) Server
    2003 network with 802.11g Linksys WAP's.

    Users can make an initial log in only if there is an Ethernet connection.
    They then configure the wireless, and then log in wireless after that. My
    assumption was that the wireless in the laptop wasn't coming on until a user
    was logged in, and I needed to make it be a service somehow. You're
    suggesting we just need to wait.

    But how does the wireless know the WEP key prior to a user logging on and
    configuring? I suspect I need to do something in my setup of the
    laptop.......but I'm not sure what.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5keUFL?=, Jan 21, 2007