    and gave you a list based on your search.

    Yeah I know there are a lot of programs out there that search these
    files and that, but don't give me a full list.
    richard, Dec 28, 2008

  2. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:59:57 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone know the URL for where the domain names as stored by ICANN?

    It's likely not on a URL but a FTP site.

    There's none I'm aware of.

    >I have a program, not teleport pro, that will let me retrieve the data
    >from ANY website.

    Uhhh.. What? Teleport pro is a web spider program.

    >domainsurfer.com used to have a search engine that tapped the files
    >and gave you a list based on your search.
    >
    >Yeah I know there are a lot of programs out there that search these
    >files and that, but don't give me a full list.

    Ok.. WTF are you talking about? You go from asking about a list of
    every domain name to spidering a single website.
    Evan Platt, Dec 28, 2008

  3. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:10:32 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Obviously ye know little of how it works.
    >URL would include ftp.

    Read up, stoopid. If you want a FTP, say FTP.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL

    >By your definition. The only difference between it and a browser is
    >how the information is stored on your machine. TP merely changes the
    >storage location. Which then allows you to view a website offline.

    No shit?

    >You have a comprehension problem as well.

    You're fucking stoopid.

    >You might want to learn about urlmon.
    >It's that little dll on your windows system that lets you connect to
    >the internet.

    You might want to learn about kissing my ass.

    Once again, you'll get no more help from me.

    Heard of google? Use it, dumbass.
    Evan Platt, Dec 28, 2008
  4. richard

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: richard
    <> wrote:

    > Thanks for all the totally useless info.

    Well, that's the surest way to convince people to help you out.

    > Somewhere along the way, any browser has to contact one of these
    > servers in order to resolve displaying the related website.

    No, not at all.

    Good luck.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Dec 28, 2008
  5. richard wrote:

    > Thanks for all the totally useless info.
    > All I'm after is the registered domain names, not the whois stuff. As
    > I understand it, there is a root server which holds the TLD's.
    > Another set of servers, 13 in all I think, contain the actual
    > registered names.
    >
    > Somewhere along the way, any browser has to contact one of these
    > servers in order to resolve displaying the related website.
    >
    > So where and how do they do this?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_nameserver

    Somehow I suspect you won't be able to access them for the purpose of
    downloading all the possible domain names that they may track...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 28, 2008
  6. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> Anyone know the URL for where the domain names as stored by ICANN?

    >> I don't know what this question means.

    >> ... and/but dns and dig for the name have different information.

    > Thanks for all the totally useless info.

    The best way for you to get some info which is more useful to you is to do
    a better job of asking a question.

    > All I'm after is the registered domain names, not the whois stuff.

    What you were calling useless info is information on record by the
    registrar of 'the registered domainn names'. If you want name resolution,
    that is a different question and has nothing to do with 'registered domain
    names'. Domain name registration is one thing; domain name resolution is
    another.

    > As I understand it, there is a root server which holds the TLD's.
    > Another set of servers, 13 in all I think, contain the actual
    > registered names.

    I was using the example of newsguy.com earlier. In the process for
    resolving its name to an IP - the root servers are queried and get the
    names and addresses of the nameservice which is queried for the address of
    the name.

    > Somewhere along the way, any browser has to contact one of these
    > servers in order to resolve displaying the related website.
    >
    > So where and how do they do this?

    Your browser gets the IP address from the DNS nameservice configured by
    your network configuration. Then your browser contacts the webserver at
    that address and gives it the name and pathway of the page you want. The
    webserver at that address may be serving many names, so the webserver at
    the IP cares a lot about what name you want, and very often you cannot get
    what you want by giving the webserver just the IP address in the form
    http://74.209.136.75/ - but in the case of newsguy you can.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 28, 2008
  7. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> I was using the example of newsguy.com earlier. In the process for
    >> resolving its name to an IP - the root servers are queried and get the
    >> names and addresses of the nameservice which is queried for the
    >> address of the name.

    >> Your browser gets the IP address from the DNS nameservice configured by
    >> your network configuration.

    > And exactly how is that done? Somewhere in the mess there is one
    > central place where, for example, all the dot com names are listed. If
    > they weren't listed centrally, then more than one person could own the
    > same domain name which would cause a mess.

    The DNS structure and process is what you are trying to get your head
    around.

    Rather than me typing a lot of words, I recommend that you look at the
    explanation in the Domain Name System entry^1 in the wikipedia,
    specifically in the section called 'In the real world', because the
    realworld part is simpler than the theoretical model, because bringing the
    cache into the picture makes a very elaborate process much simpler.

    > That IS what ICANN/IANA does.

    No. It would be better to just say that iana is in charge of the root
    servers which play a role in the resolution process; whereas what icann
    does is oversee the registrars who register names and nameservers.

    > When you do a search for a domain name to see if it's taken, you are
    > requesting information housed on that main domain name server. The
    > registrar may have it's own domain name database but not necessarily
    > the entire list.
    >
    > But I suppose what I could do is write my own little program that
    > would automatically verify if any domain name with that specified set
    > of characters exists or not. That would of course, take one hell of a
    > long time to do. If I could just access the site's page(s) where they
    > store this information, I could retrieve that information faster.
    >
    > So what URL do I need?

    If you mean, "Where is a url I could use to see whether or not a
    domainname exists (is registered to someone?" as opposed to "where is a
    url I could use to see what is the A address of a particular existing
    domainname which also presently resolves?

    That is, your finding out whether or not you can have any particular name
    attached to any particular toplevel name -- if it is available -- is a
    different project than your finding out if any particular name which is
    currently registered to someone, that is *is already registered* if that
    registered name currently has nameservice which resolves it to an IP
    address or not.

    To my interpretation, you are coming at your question here 'wrongly' -- by
    trying to ask a generic question which makes some assumptions which don't
    work. Instead you should come at your question here by stating one
    specific and simple example. Such as "How do I look up whether or not
    blahblah.org is registered to someone or not?" --or-- "How do I look up
    whether or not blahblah.org is registered to somone, and if it is so
    registered, what is its IP address?"

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 28, 2008
  8. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:43:48 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >And exactly how is that done? Somewhere in the mess there is one
    >central place where, for example, all the dot com names are listed. If
    >they weren't listed centrally, then more than one person could own the
    >same domain name which would cause a mess.

    <SNIP>

    >So what URL do I need?

    You don't. AFAIK, there is no 'central list'.

    Think of it as a bank - let's say you could call up a bank and ask for
    the balance (IP) of an account. So you could say "What's the balance
    of account 123456" and get it, but not "What's the balance of every
    account?"

    Plus, with your attitude, you aren't going to get help from anyone
    who's likely to be able to help you.
    Evan Platt, Dec 28, 2008
  9. richard wrote:

    > And exactly how is that done? Somewhere in the mess there is one
    > central place where, for example, all the dot com names are listed. If
    > they weren't listed centrally, then more than one person could own the
    > same domain name which would cause a mess.

    You answered that question in your next paragraph. ICANN keeps the data
    - the master list.

    > That IS what ICANN/IANA does.They maintain those registered names.
    > When you register a name, that name is registered through a
    > registrar, but is also regiestered on the main domain name server.
    > THAT is the URL I am looking for. That server has to be available
    > otherwise a registrar could not know if a domain name has already
    > been reserved.

    In simple terms, the registrars feed a query to ICANN containing a
    proposed domain name, and it returns if exists TRUE or FALSE. If TRUE,
    it may tell you who owns it. If FALSE, it lets you buy it. It does not
    return the entire listing of all the millions of names.

    > When you do a search for a domain name to see if it's taken, you are
    > requesting information housed on that main domain name server. The
    > registrar may have it's own domain name database but not necessarily
    > the entire list.

    The registrar needs to access the master list, as other registrars may
    have just sold the same name. Logic says they don't store locally.

    > But I suppose what I could do is write my own little program that

    In Basic?

    > would automatically verify if any domain name with that specified set
    > of characters exists or not. That would of course, take one hell of a
    > long time to do. If I could just access the site's page(s) where they
    > store this information, I could retrieve that information faster.

    There is no *page* that displays all registered domains.

    You could just use Godaddy to see if a name exists or not. You yourself
    will not have access to any database owned by ICANN.

    http://godaddy.com/ is a good one.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 29, 2008
  10. On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:43:48 -0500, richard aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > But I suppose what I could do is write my own little program that
    > would automatically verify if any domain name with that specified set
    > of characters exists or not. That would of course, take one hell of a
    > long time to do. If I could just access the site's page(s) where they
    > store this information, I could retrieve that information faster.
    >
    > So what URL do I need?

    www.dnstools.com

    Just guessing that you dont know how to do a whois, etc.
    HTH

    http://www.alternet.org
    §ñühwØ£f, Dec 29, 2008
  11. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:38:38 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >I also used Liberty to create the "oldies" charts on my site at
    >http:\\oldies.1littleworld.com which are in the process of being
    >revised.

    Wow... Just... Wow.

    Write URL's much?

    Evan Platt, Dec 29, 2008
  12. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:35:19 -0700, §ñühwØ£f <>
    wrote:

    >www.dnstools.com
    >
    >Just guessing that you dont know how to do a whois, etc.
    >HTH

    RtS wants a list of every domain.
    Evan Platt, Dec 29, 2008
  13. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> [an answer]

    > Now this has been a more helpful response.
    > I can only assume then that the names are stored in a database rather
    > than on a typical website style page.

    Oh my goodness. Did you really think the SOURCE of all the world's
    zillions of domain names would be a table .. in HTML?

    [repeat fifty million times]

    It is in a database. Something really strong. Like maybe Oracle.
    Possibly/probably spread out over multiple servers, due to access and
    size.

    There is no "web page" anywhere that would hold this data in just HTML.
    How would all the thousands of registrars poll a "web page" many times
    every second of every day?

    > Have you not heard of "Liberty BASIC"? www.libertybasic.com

    Yes, but I have no desire to use it. Besides, it won't run in my
    operating system. I'll stick with PHP, Perl, Python or similar.

    > http:\\oldies.1littleworld.com which are

    having the wrong kind of slashes.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 29, 2008
  14. richard wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:35:19 -0700, §ñühwØ£f <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:43:48 -0500, richard aided th' terraists with the
    >> following claims :
    >>> But I suppose what I could do is write my own little program that
    >>> would automatically verify if any domain name with that specified set
    >>> of characters exists or not. That would of course, take one hell of a
    >>> long time to do. If I could just access the site's page(s) where they
    >>> store this information, I could retrieve that information faster.
    >>>
    >>> So what URL do I need?

    >> www.dnstools.com
    >>
    >> Just guessing that you dont know how to do a whois, etc.
    >> HTH

    > I do not want to do whois. I only want the list of registered domain
    > names.

    Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...theres prolly a terabytes worth of them.

    :(
    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 30, 2008