    Or a .com or .biz, .net, etc?

    --
    - Mama Bear
    Big Mama Bear, Mar 6, 2007

  2. Big Mama Bear

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:36:17 -0600, Big Mama Bear
    <> wrote:

    >If someone is picking a new domain name, which might work better, one with
    >spaces or hyphens in it?

    You cannot have spaces in a domain name.

    >As far as more people seeing it?

    Umm... "more people seeing it" all depends on how you advertise it,
    or how the name gets out.

    >For example my-domain.com or my_domain.com ?

    Bad idea, IMHO. No underscore/hyphens/etc, unless you buy all
    possibilities. I mean just think you tell a potential customer to go
    to my-domain.com but he goes to my_domain.com, a competitor.

    I just think back to whenever I do tech support and have to explain
    the difference between a slash and backslash, a colon and a semicolon,
    etc. So there'll be people who confuse underscore for dash, and maybe
    even a slash for 'hyphen' or dash.

    Just think of some of the Google Group posters here as your potential
    customers.

    >Or a .com or .biz, .net, etc?

    If possible, stick with the common ones.. Com, net, edu, org. Some
    people associate .biz, .bz, etc with spammers.
    Evan Platt, Mar 6, 2007

  3. Big Mama Bear wrote:

    > If someone is picking a new domain name, which might work better, one
    > with spaces or hyphens in it? As far as more people seeing it?

    Spaces are never allowed in a domain name.

    > For example my-domain.com or my_domain.com ?

    Remember how it is spoken.

    m y dash d o m a i n dot c o m
    m y hyphen d o m a i n dot c o m
    m y underscore d o m a i n dot c o m

    There are way too many people who don't know what a dash, a hyphen, or
    an underscore is, or where to find them on their keyboards.

    My wife and a friend used to run a web business, and the friend chose a
    hyphenated word. Traffic was very light.

    > Or a .com or .biz, .net, etc?

    ..com for a commercial site,
    ..net for a hobby site,
    ..org for a non-profit site

    Forget the rest.

    Oh, and be sure to study what you decide on, for other possible
    combinations of words. Like that famous Italian power company site:

    powergenitalia.com ...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 6, 2007
  4. Big Mama Bear

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 23:12:29 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Oh, and be sure to study what you decide on, for other possible
    >combinations of words. Like that famous Italian power company site:
    >
    >powergenitalia.com ...

    What about the company that offers customizable pens?

    Pen Island?

    www.penisland.com
    Evan Platt, Mar 6, 2007
  5. Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 23:12:29 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Oh, and be sure to study what you decide on, for other possible
    >>combinations of words. Like that famous Italian power company site:
    >>
    >>powergenitalia.com ...

    > What about the company that offers customizable pens?
    >
    > Pen Island?
    >
    > www.penisland.com

    Yep, there are quite a few of them out there. <g>

    One wonders if some of them do it intentionally ...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 7, 2007
  6. Big Mama Bear

    richard Guest

    "Big Mama Bear" <> wrote in message
    > If someone is picking a new domain name, which might work better, one with
    > spaces or hyphens in it? As far as more people seeing it?
    >
    > For example my-domain.com or my_domain.com ?
    >
    > Or a .com or .biz, .net, etc?

    "some stupid domain name"
    "some-stupid-domain-name"
    "some_stupid_domain_name"
    "somestupiddomainname"

    Register all possible combinations and use a pointer to the main one.

    No special characters allowed outside of a hyphen.

    www.havocheli.com takes you to the corresponding page at www.spinmaster.com
    richard, Mar 7, 2007
  7. Big Mama Bear

    Vanguard Guest

    "Big Mama Bear" <> wrote in message
    > If someone is picking a new domain name, which might work better, one
    > with
    > spaces or hyphens in it? As far as more people seeing it?
    >
    > For example my-domain.com or my_domain.com ?
    >
    > Or a .com or .biz, .net, etc?

    Spaces in domain names? When have you EVER seen spaces in domain names?

    Many browsers, e-mail clients, and other software will automatically
    underline (and change color) of URLs. That is, they make it evident
    that it is a clickable string to a URL. However, the underscore will
    disappear into the underlining. So other users like yourself might
    think there are spaces in the URL to your site that has an underscore in
    it because the underlining hides the underscore.

    If you include a dash or hyphen, you'll end up having to buy, at least,
    3 domains: one with a dash, one with the underscore in the same position
    as the dash, and another with no dash or underscore. Google and other
    search engines ignore "special characters", so someone searching on
    your_domain.com is actually searching on "your domain com". Also read
    http://www.webrankinfo.com/english/seo-news/hyphen-or-underscore.php.
    If you want to be sure they find YOUR site then don't use special
    characters in your domain and use a long enough one to make it
    relatively unique to you.

    If your domain's name is too short, especially if cryptic, it may not be
    distinct for users to remember it, like dlc.com versus dlcc.com. If it
    matches a brand or trademark name, you could end up in a legal battle
    over it; e.g., "Shack" is a registered trademark of Radio Shack and they
    have shut down several business or forced them to make a name change
    that had "shack" in their company's name, like "CD Shack".

    If you buy a domain name with .net or .org as the TLD (top-level
    domain), remember that many users will forget that and use .com; i.e.,
    they'll enter yourdomain.com instead of yourdomain.net. Also, they
    might enter "yourdomain" in the Address bar of their browser, hit
    Ctrl-Enter to do URL completion which adds "www" for hostname and "com"
    for TLD, and be off to someone else's site with the same domain name.
    In fact, there are some that deliberately buy up the alternate TLDs for
    a business domain trying to capture some of their traffic, or to weasel
    some funds out of the business when that company realizes they should've
    bought their domain name across all the major TLDs.

    "As far a more people seeing it?" Unless blind, everyone will "see" it
    once it is in their face. If you spam or have links to your site then
    the users will "see" it. More likely you meant how to get it included
    in search engine databases and possibly also you want it near the top of
    a listing of matches from their database. Unless you have lots of folks
    that target the search engine to your site (by finding it in their
    database) to percolate it to the top of the list, you'll have to go
    submit your web site to the search engines (rather than rely on luck
    that their web crawler finds yours) and then use various tricks to move
    it up the list. However, no point in going into specific for such very
    unspecific questions. There is lots of software out there that promises
    to get you submitted to lots of search engines and up your ranking if
    you don't want to do all that manually.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=+domain +submit +"search engine" +ranking
    Vanguard, Mar 7, 2007