    doing what seems like nothing. Is there any alternative to these people?

    Thanks for any advice,
    Pete.

    Peter S, Jan 31, 2006

  2. Peter S

    Chris Hope Guest

    Peter S wrote:

    > I haven't kept up with all the news in the domain hosting world...
    >
    > I'm looking to have my .co.nz domain hosted by somebody.. Currently it
    > is hosted by Paradise but I would like a change, preferably cheaper or
    > free.

    Most NZ registrars (such as freeparking) include dns hosting in their
    registrar fees. You have to pay a registrar an annual fee for the right
    to continue using that domain name. Generally ISPs tend to charge more
    than webhosting or domain hosting companies.

    > I only want to use the domain for email at the moment (no web hosting)
    > so I figure it is quite likely I could get a better deal elsewhere.
    > What is important though is that the host is reasonably professional
    > and that their servers are professionally managed. I'd also rather
    > give any $$ to an NZ company.
    >
    > Secondly, domainz have just sent me a bill for a huge amount of money
    > for doing what seems like nothing. Is there any alternative to these
    > people?

    Clear, Xtra and Domainz charge the highest prices for nz domains. There
    are a number of other registrars in NZ who charge around $30 to $40 for
    a domain name per year - this search will find you a few:
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=domain names&meta=cr=countryNZ

    ..nz domains are a lot more expensive that .com ones because the
    organisation that oversees domains in NZ takes (IIRC) $2 per month for
    every domain registered. So if a company is charging $30+GST for year
    they're only making a gross profit of $6 per year on your domain.

    Chris Hope, Jan 31, 2006

  3. On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:03:14 +1300, "Peter S"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I haven't kept up with all the news in the domain hosting world...
    >
    >I'm looking to have my .co.nz domain hosted by somebody.. Currently it is
    >hosted by Paradise but I would like a change, preferably cheaper or free.
    >
    >I only want to use the domain for email at the moment (no web hosting) so I
    >figure it is quite likely I could get a better deal elsewhere. What is
    >important though is that the host is reasonably professional and that their
    >servers are professionally managed. I'd also rather give any $$ to an NZ
    >company.
    >
    >Secondly, domainz have just sent me a bill for a huge amount of money for
    >doing what seems like nothing. Is there any alternative to these people?
    >
    >Thanks for any advice,
    >Pete.

    The Domain Name Commissioner maintains a full list of all the
    registrars for the NZ DNS. Go to:

    http://www.dnc.org.nz

    and click on "authorised registrars". When I changed from Domainz a
    couple of years ago, I went through the entire list looking for good
    ones. I eventually settled on Iconz:

    http://www.iconz.co.nz

    They were not the cheapest, but were not very much more than the
    cheapest one, their web site worked for me on Mozilla without any
    problems, and they had an 0800 number. I later did have a problem,
    and ended up phoning them for help, and got very knowledgeable and
    professional help.

    I have not looked at the list since then, but looking at it right now,
    it does not seem to have changed much. IIRC, the cheapest when I was
    looking was:

    www.discountdomains.co.nz

    but I did not like how their web pages worked, and they did not have
    an 0800 number. When comparing prices, watch out for GST. Some
    advertise the price with, and some without.

    Stephen Worthington, Jan 31, 2006