Domain/Forest Functional Level

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Matt, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    I work for a small business that is owned by a group of investors. At
    the original design time of the Active Directory it was setup with only this
    business in mind (AD name refelects the name of the business). Since that
    time the group of investors has purchased a similar business in a near by
    town and they want the two businesses to be connected. They also plan on
    adding more sites to the over all company. I currently have a Windows Server
    2003 Active Directory and the other site has a Windows 2000 AD. I would like
    to combine the current W2K3, the new W2K and any others that are added into
    one AD. To do so I would like to rename my AD (on W2K3) to reflect the over
    all company. To rename my domain I have to raise it's functional level to
    W2K3 Native. But once I do that I cannot add any more W2K domain controllers
    to that domain. My question is, can I still create a trust relationship to
    down-level domains so that I can migrate their user accounts to the W2K3
    domain? It would seem this would be the best way to do it, especially if I
    encounter any NT 4.0 domains.

    Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Matthew
    A+, Server+, MCP

    Matt, Jul 16, 2004

  2. Matt-

    A Win2k3 native domain can certainly create downlevel trusts.

    Brian Desmond
    Windows Server MVP
    12.il.us

    Http://www.briandesmond.com