    which is compromising security. To take Internet access of them isn't
    an option at this stage.

    Cheers Corky
    Corky, May 24, 2004

  2. Corky

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 08:01:53 +1200, Corky wrote:

    > Anyone know of good filtering software that works alongside Proxy Server
    > 2. At work we want to stop people accessing domains like Hotmail and Yahoo
    > etc.
    > We have 550 people on two domains at work and we are having issues with
    > them downloading personal email attachments from these sites which is
    > compromising security. To take Internet access of them isn't an option at
    > this stage.

    It's been a long time (thankfully) since I've had anything to do with
    MS Proxy Server 2.0, but...

    What happens if you put bogus records in the hosts file on the Proxy
    Server?

    Or if you have control over your DNS servers, you could put bogus (eg
    non authoritative) zone files in there.

    But if Yahoo or Hotmail don't require a host header in the HTTP request,
    the users can still access them by IP address, and you have to firewall
    off the appropriate IP ranges.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., May 24, 2004

  3. Corky

    The Hobbit Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 08:01:53 +1200, Corky wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know of good filtering software that works alongside Proxy Server
    >> 2. At work we want to stop people accessing domains like Hotmail and
    >> Yahoo
    >> etc.

    <Snip>
    > But if Yahoo or Hotmail don't require a host header in the HTTP request,
    > the users can still access them by IP address, and you have to firewall
    > off the appropriate IP ranges.

    Which are many and ever changing...

    Technology could provide the answer to this situation, but I'd suggest that
    so to can the modification of your network users behaviour. How about
    implementing a policy stating that anyone using the internet access provided
    for work purpose to access hotmail/yahoo will be put on
    notice?

    Proxy server does keep logs - identify the offending machines and have words
    to the people using them.
    The Hobbit, May 25, 2004
  4. Corky

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 12:53:28 +1200, The Hobbit wrote:

    >> But if Yahoo or Hotmail don't require a host header in the HTTP request,
    >> the users can still access them by IP address, and you have to firewall
    >> off the appropriate IP ranges.

    > Which are many and ever changing...
    >
    > Technology could provide the answer to this situation, but I'd suggest
    > that so to can the modification of your network users behaviour. How about
    > implementing a policy stating that anyone using the internet access
    > provided for work purpose to access hotmail/yahoo will be put on notice?

    Which is also good advice.

    I think the hosts/DNS stuff is an easy win against most users, and any
    users savvy enough to get around that will more than likely be able to get
    around more complicated barriers as well.

    That's when you have to rely on the policy stuff. Then again, maybe
    (wishful thinking?) the savvy users won't be the ones downloading
    and running malware anyway? Or maybe not, I dunno :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., May 25, 2004