    Any clue as to whether it's possible to get the 5-hour version on
    VHS/other?

    -J.

    anise, Aug 31, 2003

  2. anise

    angel Guest

    "anise" <> wrote in message
    news:p...

    > All the VHS versions of this film that I have come across are approx.
    > 140 min. However, I originally saw this as a 5-part, ~5-hour
    > miniseries in Italy about 5 years ago and apparently it originally
    > aired in Yugoslavia at the same length.

    > Any clue as to whether it's possible to get the 5-hour version on
    > VHS/other?

    Yes you're right, the theatrical version was originally cut from the six
    part television series. I've only ever seen the film version and because of
    its popularity, (Kusturica won Best Director at Cannes for example), I'm not
    certain if the original five hour television version is still available.

    All the usual sources are coming up blank for the longer version. It's a
    pity, because I thought it was a wonderful film when I saw it and I'm
    intrigued by the longer version. By all accounts the original is even
    better.

    Hopefully, if it gets a DVD release, they can put that right.

    A.

    angel, Aug 31, 2003

  3. On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:18:39 +0100, "angel" <>
    wrote:

    >Yes you're right, the theatrical version was originally cut from the six
    >part television series. I've only ever seen the film version and because of
    >its popularity, (Kusturica won Best Director at Cannes for example), I'm not
    >certain if the original five hour television version is still available.
    >
    >All the usual sources are coming up blank for the longer version. It's a
    >pity, because I thought it was a wonderful film when I saw it and I'm
    >intrigued by the longer version. By all accounts the original is even
    >better.

    In ex-Yugoslavia was usual to make movie and TV series int he same
    time. Main reason for this was contract made with producers which was
    ususally some TV station and which strictly wanted to have TV series
    also.
    So, in this case (as in other simmilar cases), this movie is shoot for
    cinemas primarily and along with that, Kusturica shoot TV series
    (which mostly have more scenes that are cut out from the movie).

    Precise - there is no 5 hours movie but 2 and half hours movie and 5
    hours TV series.

    >Hopefully, if it gets a DVD release, they can put that right.

    Unfortunatelly no :(
    Latest ifnormation from this part of the workd says that tthere is no
    planned DVD soon :(

    Only known DVD release is Hungarian which is dubbed to Hungarian
    language
    :(

    --
    Q. What are your qualifications to be a film critic?
    A. I can watch movies, I can think, and I can write.

    Arminio Grgic, Sep 1, 2003
  4. anise

    angel Guest

    "Arminio Grgic" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:18:39 +0100, "angel" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Yes you're right, the theatrical version was originally cut from the six
    > >part television series. I've only ever seen the film version and because

    of
    > >its popularity, (Kusturica won Best Director at Cannes for example), I'm

    not
    > >certain if the original five hour television version is still available.
    > >
    > >All the usual sources are coming up blank for the longer version. It's a
    > >pity, because I thought it was a wonderful film when I saw it and I'm
    > >intrigued by the longer version. By all accounts the original is even
    > >better.

    > In ex-Yugoslavia was usual to make movie and TV series int he same
    > time. Main reason for this was contract made with producers which was
    > ususally some TV station and which strictly wanted to have TV series
    > also.
    > So, in this case (as in other simmilar cases), this movie is shoot for
    > cinemas primarily and along with that, Kusturica shoot TV series
    > (which mostly have more scenes that are cut out from the movie).
    >
    > Precise - there is no 5 hours movie but 2 and half hours movie and 5
    > hours TV series.

    How do the two compare? I remember one film critic claiming the film version
    suffered from a disjointed narrative that compared unfavourably to the TV
    series.

    Is the TV version that much better?

    angel, Sep 1, 2003
  5. anise

    anise Guest

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 20:48:29 +0100, "angel" <> wrote:

    >"Arminio Grgic" <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    >> In ex-Yugoslavia was usual to make movie and TV series int he same
    >> time. Main reason for this was contract made with producers which was
    >> ususally some TV station and which strictly wanted to have TV series
    >> also.
    >> So, in this case (as in other simmilar cases), this movie is shoot for
    >> cinemas primarily and along with that, Kusturica shoot TV series
    >> (which mostly have more scenes that are cut out from the movie).
    >>
    >> Precise - there is no 5 hours movie but 2 and half hours movie and 5
    >> hours TV series.

    >How do the two compare? I remember one film critic claiming the film version
    >suffered from a disjointed narrative that compared unfavourably to the TV
    >series.
    >
    >Is the TV version that much better?

    While I have the film version, I have never watched it. I thought the
    series was incredible and incredibly compelling. I imagine the film
    to be an abridged version with only a portion of the same impact.

    (It may have been more poignant for me seeing it when I did since I
    was living in Italy at the time and saw people like those depicted in
    the film begging in the streets and at restaurants, being so reviled
    by the general public on a daily basis. It was obvious that it was an
    industry, and it was heartbreaking seeing adults exploit their
    children to pity you into giving them something and then other adults
    so disgusted by the exploitation that they in turn shoe away some of
    the most pitiful faces I have ever seen in person.

    The series was heartbreaking and honest and that Kusturica could find
    and portray magic with and through such subjectmatter was . . .
    amazing.)

    I believe Kusturica's latest film _Underground_ is also cut from a
    series.

    anise, Sep 1, 2003
  6. On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 21:02:28 GMT, anise <>
    wrote:

    >I believe Kusturica's latest film _Underground_ is also cut from a
    >series.

    The same thing as for Dom za vesanje ... but there is director's cut
    in full length.
    BTW, it is not his latest film :)

    --
    Q. What are your qualifications to be a film critic?
    A. I can watch movies, I can think, and I can write.
    From Dale's Movie Page at

    Arminio Grgic, Sep 2, 2003
  7. anise

    angel Guest

    "anise" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 20:48:29 +0100, "angel" <> wrote:

    > >How do the two compare? I remember one film critic claiming the film

    version
    > >suffered from a disjointed narrative that compared unfavourably to the TV
    > >series.
    > >
    > >Is the TV version that much better?

    > While I have the film version, I have never watched it. I thought the
    > series was incredible and incredibly compelling. I imagine the film
    > to be an abridged version with only a portion of the same impact.
    >

    > (It may have been more poignant for me seeing it when I did since I
    > was living in Italy at the time and saw people like those depicted in
    > the film begging in the streets and at restaurants, being so reviled
    > by the general public on a daily basis. It was obvious that it was an
    > industry, and it was heartbreaking seeing adults exploit their
    > children to pity you into giving them something and then other adults
    > so disgusted by the exploitation that they in turn shoe away some of
    > the most pitiful faces I have ever seen in person.
    >
    > The series was heartbreaking and honest and that Kusturica could find
    > and portray magic with and through such subjectmatter was . . .
    > amazing.)

    Hmm...interesting. Thanks for that. The film conveyed within me many of the
    feelings that you described and this wasn't even the full version. When I
    first saw it, I caught it by accident and I was instantly transfixed. Like I
    said, I've got nothing to compare it to, but I can only imagine what the
    full version must have been like for you, having witnessed first hand, the
    experiences of those very same peoples up close and personal.

    I was also amazed at the amount of humour Kusturica managed to inject into
    the subject matter particualrly at the begining of the film. I think that
    chiefly came from the use of real Romany actors, filmed entirely in the
    Romany language, drawing directly from their culture. When this is mixed
    with good story-telling (with elements of mysticism and sci-fi thrown in for
    good measure), then you get that unique, heartbreaking, honesty you
    described.

    > I believe Kusturica's latest film _Underground_ is also cut from a
    > series.

    I haven't seen anything else by Kusturica (to my knowledge), so I shall look
    forward to checking that one out. I suspect I shall have to really search
    because his films do not appear very often in my local multiplexes. It's
    also been a few years since I've seen "Time Of The Gypsies" so I really must
    get round to seeing that again sometime (soon).

    angel, Sep 3, 2003
  8. On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 00:49:36 +0100, "angel" <> wrote:

    >I was also amazed at the amount of humour Kusturica managed to inject into
    >the subject matter particualrly at the begining of the film. I think that
    >chiefly came from the use of real Romany actors, filmed entirely in the
    >Romany language, drawing directly from their culture. When this is mixed
    >with good story-telling (with elements of mysticism and sci-fi thrown in for
    >good measure), then you get that unique, heartbreaking, honesty you
    >described.

    Main actors are not Roman's - they are Serbian and Bosnian well known
    actors who doesn't speak Romanian language (it was hard to speak in
    that language - you must see "making of" to see how they have hard
    time to learn dialogues :) )

    >I haven't seen anything else by Kusturica (to my knowledge), so I shall look
    >forward to checking that one out. I suspect I shall have to really search
    >because his films do not appear very often in my local multiplexes. It's
    >also been a few years since I've seen "Time Of The Gypsies" so I really must
    >get round to seeing that again sometime (soon).

    Undergrond is great although little weak near the end when he turns in
    some kind of surreal thing while entire movie is pretty funny and
    serious. I have director's cut so maybe these parts missing from
    standard releas which I didn't watch ...

    --
    Q. What are your qualifications to be a film critic?
    A. I can watch movies, I can think, and I can write.
    From Dale's Movie Page at

    Arminio Grgic, Sep 3, 2003
  9. anise

    anise Guest

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 00:49:36 +0100, "angel" <> wrote:

    >I haven't seen anything else by Kusturica (to my knowledge)

    Kusturica did an American film called _Arizona Dream_ with Johnny Depp
    and Faye Dunaway. It has some of those mystical elements in it from
    what I remember.

    He's done a few other films that you can probably easily find, such as
    _Black Cat White Cat_ (1998). _Underground_ apparently is from 1995,
    so it's not his latest film by far (where the hell did I get that
    from?).

    If you are interested in Rom culture films, there's a good one called
    _Gadjo Dilo_ (The Crazy Stranger) by Tony Gatlif. It's in French,
    Romanian, and maybe Roma. The music in it is nice. I don't know if
    it's easy to find west of France though.

    - J.

    anise, Sep 3, 2003
  10. anise

    Jim Guest

    anise wrote:
    > On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 00:49:36 +0100, "angel" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I haven't seen anything else by Kusturica (to my knowledge)

    > Kusturica did an American film called _Arizona Dream_ with Johnny Depp
    > and Faye Dunaway. It has some of those mystical elements in it from
    > what I remember.
    >
    > He's done a few other films that you can probably easily find, such as
    > _Black Cat White Cat_ (1998). _Underground_ apparently is from 1995,
    > so it's not his latest film by far (where the hell did I get that
    > from?).
    >

    > If you are interested in Rom culture films, there's a good one called
    > _Gadjo Dilo_ (The Crazy Stranger) by Tony Gatlif. It's in French,
    > Romanian, and maybe Roma. The music in it is nice. I don't know if
    > it's easy to find west of France though.

    Kustirica's earlier film "When Father Was Away on Business" is one of
    his best, in my opinion. If you can find it, put it at the top of your list.

    Jim, Sep 5, 2003
  11. On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 23:46:28 GMT, Jim <>
    wrote:

    >Kustirica's earlier film "When Father Was Away on Business" is one of
    >his best, in my opinion. If you can find it, put it at the top of your list.

    Oh yes ... it was nominated for Academy Award ...

    --
    Q. What are your qualifications to be a film critic?
    A. I can watch movies, I can think, and I can write.
    From Dale's Movie Page at

    Arminio Grgic, Sep 5, 2003