Dolphin lantern changing battery.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by geopelia, May 29, 2013.

  1. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I had trouble changing the battery in the Dolphin lantern as there are no
    plus and minus signs inside the one I have.

    So I looked it up on the internet and found a website. The springs go to the
    front.

    Here you are, (if you are as dumb as me)

    http://www.ehow.com/how_5541200_install-battery-energizer-floating-lantern.html

    And to get the front off you just unscrew it. People seem to have had
    trouble working that out too.

    It's a great lantern, we've had one for years. Good in a power cut. The
    battery lasts ages.
    They are supposed to float, but I haven't tried that.

    Perhaps the latest model do have the + and -
    Countdown have got a lot of them. Big yellow things.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, May 29, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <ko4ra1$fvt$>, , geopelia
    says...

    > I had trouble changing the battery in the Dolphin lantern as there are no
    > plus and minus signs inside the one I have.
    >
    > So I looked it up on the internet and found a website. The springs go to the
    > front.
    >
    > Here you are, (if you are as dumb as me)
    >
    > http://www.ehow.com/how_5541200_install-battery-energizer-floating-lantern.html
    >
    > And to get the front off you just unscrew it. People seem to have had
    > trouble working that out too.
    >
    > It's a great lantern, we've had one for years. Good in a power cut. The
    > battery lasts ages.
    > They are supposed to float, but I haven't tried that.
    >
    > Perhaps the latest model do have the + and -
    > Countdown have got a lot of them. Big yellow things.
    >
    > Geopelia

    There are a couple of types of the Dolphins. The cheap replaceable 6V
    ones, and then there's the rechargeable 6V sealed lead-acid ones - which
    are bloody brilliant. But not as cheap. So long as you keep 'em
    charged up, they last for years and years. I don't know that you can
    buy those ones anymore.

    That said, I'd never buy one again, as these days, the bulb technology's
    changed. These days we've got LCD, LED, CREE, HID and god knows what
    else I missed. They are fucking bright - you've probably seen 'em? -
    when driving at night and a cyclist has a headlamp that seems (and quite
    probably is) stronger than your car headlights!

    Amazing things. Totally revolutionised torch technology - hard to find
    a torch nowdays with a tungsten bulb!

    I've got about four of them. My favourite is my "2300" lumen one -
    however even that bright beast has been well superceeded these days.

    Next time you're at the supermarket, see if they have any. I bought all
    my ones from Dealextreme (on da credit card)...
    http://dx.com/c/flashlights-lasers-999

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, May 29, 2013

  3. geopelia

    Katipo Guest

    That reminds me, I need a new battery for mine too.

    Darn good torches.

    Katipo, May 29, 2013
  4. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 30/05/2013 3:54 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >> There are a couple of types of the Dolphins. The cheap replaceable
    >> 6V ones, and then there's the rechargeable 6V sealed lead-acid ones
    >> - which are bloody brilliant. But not as cheap. So long as you
    >> keep 'em charged up, they last for years and years. I don't know
    >> that you can buy those ones anymore.
    >>
    >> That said, I'd never buy one again, as these days, the bulb
    >> technology's changed. These days we've got LCD, LED, CREE, HID and
    >> god knows what else I missed.

    > The current Dolphin is LED
    >
    > www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/?SKU=1590447

    Heh! Thanks EMB, saved me finding a link for it. :) I'd already started
    looking and it's not on the eveready.com site.

    From what I could see checking one out in-store it looks like quite a good
    LED too, not one of those cheap'n'nasty ones that are appearing everywhere.
    (Although I couldn't open it to check cooling/'sinking.) Mind you for $31.19
    it should be good.

    I've noticed there seems to be two approaches to LED torch technology; The
    first is *damn* bright - as Dave mentioned, thousands of lumens. The second
    is to put out a similar amount of light as a tungsten filament bulb but have
    10x the battery life. Both are useful.

    Cracks me up though, I have a torch in my small keyring / 'purse' (where I
    put my gold coins, a bootable 8GB USB stick....) that takes one AAA battery
    and is brighter than the heavy beast of a thing we used to go spotlighting
    for 'possums with on the farm! *And* it'll run for over half an hour on one
    (rechargeable) battery! <shakes head>
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."