    --
    Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
    are suitable, but will Pam secure that?

    thanatoid, Jun 26, 2009

  2. thanatoid

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:Xns9C3678DFE7121thanexit@188.40.43.245 thanatoid
    <> wrote:

    > I have some $100 bills from about 20-30 years ago, Someone told
    > me they "won't be accepted" in the U.S.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea whether that's true or not and if so
    > why, and how I can get the money somehow? I am not a small
    > business, and these are not $20's, so framing them and putting
    > them on the wall does not appeal to me.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated.

    The bills are still legal tender in the US.

    Since the $100 was redesigned in 1996, some folks might not recognize
    them, but if you run into problems you can always go to a bank and have
    them exchanged for something smaller. Lots of places won't take anything
    larger than a $20 these days anyway.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jun 26, 2009

  3. Bert Hyman wrote:

    > .. Lots of places won't take anything larger than a $20 these days
    > anyway.

    The $50 is the new $20 ... :)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 26, 2009
  4. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > I have some $100 bills from about 20-30 years ago, Someone
    > told me they "won't be accepted" in the U.S.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea whether that's true or not and if
    > so why, and how I can get the money somehow? I am not a
    > small business, and these are not $20's, so framing them
    > and putting them on the wall does not appeal to me.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated.

    Thank you to the 3 respondents. Unfortunately, the third one is
    completely in disagreement with the first two. Sigh.

    FWIW, they are in good condition, they were not "new" when I got
    them, just standard circulation, but they have been in an
    envelope in a desk drawer for about 20 years.

    AFA "bank", unfortunately I will be in NY on a Sat. ONLY. Does
    anyone know if any banks in Manhattan open on Saturdays?

    thanatoid, Jun 26, 2009
  5. thanatoid

    Jordon Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    >> I have some $100 bills from about 20-30 years ago, Someone
    >> told me they "won't be accepted" in the U.S.

    >> Does anyone have any idea whether that's true or not and if
    >> so why, and how I can get the money somehow? I am not a
    >> small business, and these are not $20's, so framing them
    >> and putting them on the wall does not appeal to me.

    > Thank you to the 3 respondents. Unfortunately, the third one is
    > completely in disagreement with the first two. Sigh.
    >
    > FWIW, they are in good condition, they were not "new" when I got
    > them, just standard circulation, but they have been in an
    > envelope in a desk drawer for about 20 years.

    Why do you have some $100 bills that have been sitting in an
    envelope for 20 to 30 years?

    I can see myself possibly finding some sentimental value for up
    to $20, but if it's more than that, it's going to my next beer
    purchase.

    FWIW, Wikipedia says: United States banknotes issued at any date
    remain legal tender even after they are withdrawn from circulation.

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, Jun 26, 2009
  6. thanatoid

    G. Morgan Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    >FWIW, they are in good condition, they were not "new" when I got
    >them, just standard circulation, but they have been in an
    >envelope in a desk drawer for about 20 years.
    >
    >AFA "bank", unfortunately I will be in NY on a Sat. ONLY. Does
    >anyone know if any banks in Manhattan open on Saturdays?

    Or for God's sake already.... These are not some old silver certificates or
    gold notes, they are relatively new in terms of collector's eyes.

    Your grocery store will take them easily, they handle tens of thousands $$ in
    cash every day.

    G. Morgan, Jun 26, 2009
  7. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Jordon <> wrote in

    > Why do you have some $100 bills that have been sitting in
    > an envelope for 20 to 30 years?

    Because a family member put them there after the last time they
    were in the US. Framkly, I never thought much about it, but
    since I have not been to the US in about 25 years but will be in
    a couple of weeks I thought I'd be able to finally use them.

    > I can see myself possibly finding some sentimental value
    > for up to $20, but if it's more than that, it's going to my
    > next beer purchase.

    I understand that. I have some coins from various countries that
    are nice to look at every 10 years or so, and I found a pre-WWII
    ruble in the same drawer as the dollars. Didn't even know I had
    it.

    Anyway, I didn't need the money for anything, or I would have
    changed it for the local currency. Plus, for a while anyway, it
    seemed to be an investment of sorts.

    > FWIW, Wikipedia says: United States banknotes issued at any
    > date remain legal tender even after they are withdrawn from
    > circulation.

    Well, that's very useful, thank you - as long as its true.
    Sometimes Wikipedia is wrong. But it DOES make sense, unless
    they were issued at a time when a quart of milk cost $450,000
    and IIRC that has never happened in US history, while it HAS
    happened in other countries. I assumed a dollar was a dollar, at
    least any dollar printed [by the gov't ;-)] in the last 50
    years.

    Thanks.

    thanatoid, Jun 26, 2009
  8. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    G. Morgan <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >>FWIW, they are in good condition, they were not "new" when
    >>I got them, just standard circulation, but they have been
    >>in an envelope in a desk drawer for about 20 years.
    >>
    >>AFA "bank", unfortunately I will be in NY on a Sat. ONLY.
    >>Does anyone know if any banks in Manhattan open on
    >>Saturdays?

    > Or for God's sake already.... These are not some old
    > silver certificates or gold notes, they are relatively new
    > in terms of collector's eyes.
    >
    > Your grocery store will take them easily, they handle tens
    > of thousands $$ in cash every day.

    That's what I thought to begin with until someone told me what I
    said in the first post. Thank you for bringing us all back to
    reality. (I will assume you operate within reality ;-)

    thanatoid, Jun 26, 2009
  9. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Manatee Memories <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:55:03 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
    > <> wrote, by way of
    > <Xns9C3678DFE7121thanexit@188.40.43.245>, in
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk -->::
    >
    >>I have some $100 bills from about 20-30 years ago, Someone
    >>told me they "won't be accepted" in the U.S.

    > <....>
    >
    > Well, if they happen to say "[....] full faith and credit
    > of the United States government" (or some such), then I
    > might see why they'd not be accepted <joke>.

    Still, a point well taken.

    > But seriously... seriously, they might be more-accepted
    > that the currently-available trash-paper.

    IF the Amero is not a total myth, we may someday be using them
    to wipe our asses, although that probably wouldn't be very
    hygienic. Crumpled up, they could put "packing popcorn"
    companies in minor recession of their own.

    thanatoid, Jun 26, 2009
  10. thanatoid

    Old Gringo Guest

    Two Cents To The thanatoid Post:
    > I have some $100 bills from about 20-30 years ago, Someone told
    > me they "won't be accepted" in the U.S.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea whether that's true or not and if so
    > why, and how I can get the money somehow? I am not a small
    > business, and these are not $20's, so framing them and putting
    > them on the wall does not appeal to me.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated.

    No it's not true. All US currency is worth its face value, and in
    some cases even more. US currency can be redeemed or exchanged at all
    major banks world wide, no need to worry about a bank being open on
    Saturday. US currency has no expiration date or it would be printed
    on the bill.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Jun 26, 2009
  11. thanatoid

    richard Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have some $100 bills from about 20-30 years ago, Someone told
    >me they "won't be accepted" in the U.S.
    >
    >Does anyone have any idea whether that's true or not and if so
    >why, and how I can get the money somehow? I am not a small
    >business, and these are not $20's, so framing them and putting
    >them on the wall does not appeal to me.
    >
    >Any suggestions appreciated.

    The bills are still worth $100 each.
    If you take them to a bank they will trade you with a newer $100 bill,
    each.

    Any note printed by the US government will still be worth it's face
    value a thousand years after it was printed. Or until the government
    stops being the government.

    richard, Jun 27, 2009
  12. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    Bert Hyman <> wrote in

    > In news:Xns9C3678DFE7121thanexit@188.40.43.245 thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have some $100 bills from about 20-30 years ago, Someone told
    >> me they "won't be accepted" in the U.S.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any idea whether that's true or not and if so
    >> why, and how I can get the money somehow? I am not a small
    >> business, and these are not $20's, so framing them and putting
    >> them on the wall does not appeal to me.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions appreciated.

    > The bills are still legal tender in the US.
    >
    > Since the $100 was redesigned in 1996, some folks might not recognize
    > them, but if you run into problems you can always go to a bank and have
    > them exchanged for something smaller. Lots of places won't take anything
    > larger than a $20 these days anyway.

    Although it is certainly illegal to do that in *any* country with paper
    money. Subject to change problems of course.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 27, 2009
  13. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Manatee Memories <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > He (dadiOH) was kidding around, imho, re buying them-up for
    > $20-$30. Well, not for buying them up at that price <g>, as
    > they (the $100 bills) are certainly not useless.

    My online sense of humor sucks beyond belief. I /need/ the
    facial expressions and the voice.

    AFA your second post, it will be easier and a lot cheaper to
    just make a few calls when I'm there, if I need to (ie if a
    restaurant refuses to accept the bill).

    Thanks for your replies.

    thanatoid, Jun 27, 2009
  14. thanatoid wrote:

    > AFA your second post, it will be easier and a lot cheaper to just make
    > a few calls when I'm there, if I need to (ie if a restaurant refuses
    > to accept the bill).

    I live in upstate New York, and so get across the border to Canada
    frequently. Over the years, I've accumulated a small supply of the old
    green $1 and pink $2 CDN bills, which have been replaced with coins ^1.
    Once in a while, I will take some of those old bills on a trip, and dig
    them out at restaurants and such.

    The people are happy to accept them, probably because they are becoming
    ever so rare and collectible. ;-)

    1. The Loonie and the Toonie.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loonie
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonie

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 27, 2009
  15. thanatoid

    Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    >I live in upstate New York, and so get across the border to Canada
    >frequently. Over the years, I've accumulated a small supply of the old
    >green $1 and pink $2 CDN bills, which have been replaced with coins ^1.
    >Once in a while, I will take some of those old bills on a trip, and dig
    >them out at restaurants and such.

    I like the new U.S. quarters which represent a state, It's very easy
    to pass off a Canadian quarter now :)

    But the nickels suck, requiring glasses to see, I often mistake them
    for quarters.

    >The people are happy to accept them, probably because they are becoming
    >ever so rare and collectible. ;-)

    Remember the Golden Sacagawea Dollar Coin? Walmart, many years ago had
    a representative with a coin pouch come up to you and ask if you
    wanted to trade brand new gold colored ones for dollar bills.

    Man if I wanted to make an impression at a 7-11 or where ever I'd just
    say, "I came across this and thought you might like it" (always a girl
    of course), man it was like christmas for them. Lots of fun watching
    their reactions.

    --

    R.I.P. Michael Jackson.

    , Jun 27, 2009
  16. thanatoid

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 23:20:02 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Although it is certainly illegal to do that in *any* country with paper
    >money. Subject to change problems of course.

    Illegal to do what? You quoted a whole paragraph.

    But I can say with confidence, you're wrong.

    Evan Platt, Jun 27, 2009
  17. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    in news:h24pgl$gfc$-september.org:

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> AFA your second post, it will be easier and a lot cheaper
    >> to just make a few calls when I'm there, if I need to (ie
    >> if a restaurant refuses to accept the bill).

    > I live in upstate New York, and so get across the border to
    > Canada frequently. Over the years, I've accumulated a small
    > supply of the old green $1 and pink $2 CDN bills, which
    > have been replaced with coins ^1.

    I remember the stupid $2 bill (there was a LOT less resistance
    to it than the US $2 bill, but Canadians have always been
    milquetoasts), but had no idea that the $1 bill was history.
    Last time I was in Canada was 11 years ago.

    > Once in a while, I will
    > take some of those old bills on a trip, and dig them out at
    > restaurants and such.
    >
    > The people are happy to accept them, probably because they
    > are becoming ever so rare and collectible. ;-)

    Yes, bills out of circulation of course have a certain value.

    > 1. The Loonie and the Toonie.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loonie
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonie

    Pretty stupid names, eh?

    thanatoid, Jun 27, 2009
  18. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "dadiOH" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >>> Use them to buy a money order.

    >> I thought you said they were useless.

    > I also said I'd buy them. You didn't notice the self
    > serving nature of "useless"?
    >
    > Guess I should have added a smiley....

    No, it's all my fault. I'm totally useless.

    Speaking of smileys, remember how pleasant the world was before
    they appeared in our semi-reality...?

    thanatoid, Jun 27, 2009
  19. thanatoid wrote:

    > I remember the stupid $2 bill (there was a LOT less resistance
    > to it than the US $2 bill,

    Heh, I occasionally carry some US $2 bills, and have fun with store
    clerks and fast-food servers who've never seen one. I've even been
    accused of trying to pass counterfeit money.

    Clerk: "This can't be real!!"
    Me: "It certainly is."
    Clerk: "Well, I'm callin' the police."
    Me: "Call your manager first... <smile>"
    Mgr.: "This can't be real!!"

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 27, 2009
  20. thanatoid

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <h25thb$git$-september.org> "Beauregard T.
    Shagnasty" <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> I remember the stupid $2 bill (there was a LOT less resistance
    >> to it than the US $2 bill,

    >Heh, I occasionally carry some US $2 bills, and have fun with store
    >clerks and fast-food servers who've never seen one. I've even been
    >accused of trying to pass counterfeit money.
    >
    >Clerk: "This can't be real!!"
    >Me: "It certainly is."
    >Clerk: "Well, I'm callin' the police."
    >Me: "Call your manager first... <smile>"
    >Mgr.: "This can't be real!!"

    Careful, there was a guy in Texas who was arrested for passing
    legitimate $2 bills. If the clerk and manager are too stupid to
    recognize the currency of their own land, what makes you think the
    arresting officer will be any smarter?

    DevilsPGD, Jun 27, 2009