Doing my Head in Now - Internet Optimizer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve 'Wacko', Sep 9, 2003.

  1. Hell o all,

    This is a follow on to a previous post concerning the Internet Optimizer
    parasite.............

    I have installed Ad Ware and checked the system, the scan detected Internet
    optimizer and placed it in Quarentine. I then scanned using AVG but still
    found I had 7 viruses in the _ReSTORE folder..................all off these
    are the Dyfuca parasite.

    I checked the doxdesk website that was recommended and used their detection
    service, before I installed Ad Ware they detected the IO
    parasite............after I had run Ad Ware the detector dosnt find
    anything.................

    I have tried following the instructions on doxdesk site to clear Internet
    Optimizer but cannot find any sight of it......

    To summerise

    AVG finds 7 infected files of DyFuca trojan/worm in the RESTORE files but
    wont let me delete or put them in the vault........

    Ad Ware finds no sign of anything......

    And the doxdesk detection dosnt find anything, but did before I ran the Ad
    Ware...........Arrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    Can anyone advise me on how to solve this VERY annoying problem, Please

    Steve

    --
    ----------Pull The Pin to Reply-------------

    Steve 'Wacko', Sep 9, 2003

  2. Steve 'Wacko'

    °Mike° Guest

    Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;263455

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:49:50 +0100, in
    <bjlhkb$3l5$>
    Steve 'Wacko' scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 9, 2003

  3. Steve 'Wacko'

    PhilGreg Guest

    "Steve 'Wacko'" <> wrote in message

    [snip]
    > I have installed Ad Ware and checked the system, the scan detected

    Internet
    > optimizer and placed it in Quarentine. I then scanned using AVG but

    still
    > found I had 7 viruses in the _ReSTORE folder..................all

    off these
    > are the Dyfuca parasite.

    [snip]

    Turn off system restore, this will delete the Restore files. Scan
    w/AV. Reboot, turn System Restore back on.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 10, 2003
  4. How would I do that Phil ????

    I have a large amount of video clips which I have downloaded, I think this
    may have tipped the 'amount' of data in the Restore files over the
    top...........

    What exactly are the Restore files..............

    TIA

    Steve

    Steve 'Wacko', Sep 10, 2003
  5. Steve 'Wacko'

    > How would I do that Phil ????
    >
    > I have a large amount of video clips which I have downloaded, I

    think this
    > may have tipped the 'amount' of data in the Restore files over the
    > top...........
    >
    > What exactly are the Restore files..............
    >
    > TIA

    ==> I don't know if you're using ME or XP. I tried ME for @ a month
    and got rid of it<G> and then went back to 98. Unfortunately, I forgot
    how to do it in ME and I'M on 2K and never bothered w/XP. IOW, I can't
    help you there, hopefully someone w/XP will tell you how. At any rate,
    the process I listed will work.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 10, 2003
  6. Steve 'Wacko'

    > How would I do that Phil ????
    >
    > I have a large amount of video clips which I have downloaded, I

    think this
    > may have tipped the 'amount' of data in the Restore files over the
    > top...........
    >
    > What exactly are the Restore files..............

    ==> IN XP, Control Panel/System Properties to turn it off. Then in
    Control Panel/Services turn it off. Reboot into safe mode and delete
    the folder. reboot and resume surfing.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 10, 2003
  7. What actually are the RESTORE files Phil...........????????????

    I have ME, *only* because it was on the system and the Win 98 I have is a
    little suspect with USB.........

    I would once just like to run a PC without any hassle..

    Really Appreciate everyones help....

    Steve

    Steve 'Wacko', Sep 10, 2003
  8. Steve 'Wacko'

    Boomer Guest

    Steve 'Wacko' said:

    > What actually are the RESTORE files Phil...........????????????
    >
    > I have ME, *only* because it was on the system and the Win 98 I
    > have is a little suspect with USB.........
    >
    > I would once just like to run a PC without any hassle..
    >
    > Really Appreciate everyones help....
    >
    > Steve

    Here's further informationon Win ME System Restore:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-
    1&q=%22system+restore%22%2Bme

    or http://tinyurl.com/mw43

    Boomer, Sep 10, 2003
  9. Steve 'Wacko'

    PhilGreg Guest

    INTERSPERSED
    > What actually are the RESTORE files Phil...........????????????

    ==> System files automagically backed up by your OS

    > I have ME, *only* because it was on the system and the Win 98 I have

    is a
    > little suspect with USB.........

    ==> Personaly, after tryin ME for awhile I went back to 98 before
    upgrading to 2K

    > I would once just like to run a PC without any hassle..

    ==> ROFL. So would everybody else<GBG>

    > Really Appreciate everyones help....

    ==> YW
    > Steve