Doing MCAD, VB.NET or C# path?

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Robin Tucker, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. Robin Tucker

    Robin Tucker Guest

    I'm using VB.NET at work (with SQL Server), should I cover all my bases by
    doing MCAD exams with the C# path? I know they are largely interchangeable
    with mainly syntax differences but I'm looking ahead to when (and if!) I've
    passed the exams and want to maybe change jobs.

    Also, I've seen a lot of courseware online available at whopping great
    prices. I'm not sure if its worth purchasing any of this stuff (I'm not
    going to do taught courses). Is it enough to get through with the books
    Microsoft recommends? I intend to do a "project" in my own time which takes
    account of all of the skills required by the exams (to keep my learning in
    context).

    Finally, in the general case, does taking you MCAD improve your carreer
    opportunities? I would like to go into contracting (in the UK).

    Thanks for any advice/help you can give me.

    Robin

    Robin Tucker, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Robin Tucker

    Guest Guest

    A survey Microsoft did showed that 90% of people use
    books and the only learning material for exam
    preparation. Although most people I talk to say that
    Microsoft press is useless. the large Que publisher book
    series for this exam is very good people say and is what
    I am using.
    You can also do both VB and C#. You have the option of
    taking two core exams and one of them would replace the
    BizTalk (or the other exam in that group). The only catch
    is the two core exams have to cover different
    applications.
    Thus, I am going to take VB for windows and C# for
    internet applications.
    Then the XML and that is it.

    Guest, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Robin Tucker

    Annonymous. Guest

    Robin,

    DO NOT USE MICROSOFT PRESS BOOKS!! They are the MOST
    USELESS books ever!! If u'r doing it on a VB.Net track,
    go for gunderloy's book (Que publications) or get Amit
    Kalani's book if u'r thinking abt C#.Net track

    Which track should you be doing depends on what you want
    to do! :) [Although C#.Net rocks & there are still few
    things tht you can NOT do with VB.Net]!!!!

    =:)

    Annonymous., Oct 27, 2004