    Others worth thinking about?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 23, 2006

  2. thingy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, y says...
    > What are peoples experiences with the tier 1 Intel/AMD server vendors in NZ?
    >
    > ie,
    >
    > Dell
    > IBM
    > HP
    > Sun
    >
    > Others worth thinking about?

    Insite will build to your spec - and advise along the way. Don't have
    to wear the <above brands> cap, shirt, shoes...

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 23, 2006

  3. thingy

    SchoolTech Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>, y says...
    >> What are peoples experiences with the tier 1 Intel/AMD server vendors in NZ?
    >>
    >> ie,
    >>
    >> Dell
    >> IBM
    >> HP
    >> Sun
    >>
    >> Others worth thinking about?

    > Insite will build to your spec - and advise along the way. Don't have
    > to wear the <above brands> cap, shirt, shoes...

    Cyclone
    SchoolTech, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Mark Robinson, Mar 23, 2006
  5. On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:15:53 +1200, someone purporting to be thingy didst
    scrawl:

    > What are peoples experiences with the tier 1 Intel/AMD server vendors in NZ?
    >
    > ie,
    >
    > Dell
    > IBM
    > HP
    > Sun

    It's hard to beat Dell on price, but when I left my last job we were
    getting rather upset with the quality. DOA drives on a disturbingly high
    percentage of units, for example, and that was across at least two
    different models from different series (a 1xxx and a 2xxx).
    Also, Dell still won't touch AMD, so for the moment your choices are to
    buy power hogs or to buy from someone else.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, Mar 23, 2006
  6. thingy

    Mercury Guest

    > It's hard to beat Dell on price, but when I left my last job we were
    > getting rather upset with the quality. DOA drives on a disturbingly high
    > percentage of units, for example, and that was across at least two
    > different models from different series (a 1xxx and a 2xxx).
    > Also, Dell still won't touch AMD, so for the moment your choices are to
    > buy power hogs or to buy from someone else.

    .... and that's why I buy from Insite. Your choice - Insite or Cyclone for
    BTO and local service / support.
    Mercury, Mar 23, 2006
  7. thingy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <dvticv$9pt$>, says...
    > > It's hard to beat Dell on price, but when I left my last job we were
    > > getting rather upset with the quality. DOA drives on a disturbingly high
    > > percentage of units, for example, and that was across at least two
    > > different models from different series (a 1xxx and a 2xxx).
    > > Also, Dell still won't touch AMD, so for the moment your choices are to
    > > buy power hogs or to buy from someone else.

    > ... and that's why I buy from Insite. Your choice - Insite or Cyclone for
    > BTO and local service / support.

    Yep, and fantastic support and quality componentry throughout.

    To the OP, isn't it worth the few extra $$$?

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 23, 2006
  8. thingy

    SchoolTech Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <dvticv$9pt$>, says...
    >>> It's hard to beat Dell on price, but when I left my last job we were
    >>> getting rather upset with the quality. DOA drives on a disturbingly high
    >>> percentage of units, for example, and that was across at least two
    >>> different models from different series (a 1xxx and a 2xxx).
    >>> Also, Dell still won't touch AMD, so for the moment your choices are to
    >>> buy power hogs or to buy from someone else.

    >> ... and that's why I buy from Insite. Your choice - Insite or Cyclone for
    >> BTO and local service / support.

    > Yep, and fantastic support and quality componentry throughout.
    >
    > To the OP, isn't it worth the few extra $$$?

    Cyclone's prices are significantly cheaper than Insite's.

    We saved $1000 on our server and $100 on each desktop PC.

    Basically, Insite has slipped in the marketplace in recent years. In
    fact most of their desktops for a long time have used inferior third
    party chipsets for Intel CPUs.

    Cyclone is a preferred supplier for a number of the major tertiary
    institutions - and has just opened a new business selling laptops to
    students.
    SchoolTech, Mar 23, 2006
  9. thingy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <44226d81$>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <dvticv$9pt$>, says...
    > >>
    > >> ... and that's why I buy from Insite. Your choice - Insite or Cyclone for
    > >> BTO and local service / support.

    > > Yep, and fantastic support and quality componentry throughout.
    > >
    > > To the OP, isn't it worth the few extra $$$?

    > Cyclone's prices are significantly cheaper than Insite's.
    >
    > We saved $1000 on our server and $100 on each desktop PC.
    >
    > Basically, Insite has slipped in the marketplace in recent years. In
    > fact most of their desktops for a long time have used inferior third
    > party chipsets for Intel CPUs.
    >
    > Cyclone is a preferred supplier for a number of the major tertiary
    > institutions - and has just opened a new business selling laptops to
    > students.

    Could save *more* money and buy a Dell - they do have their uses...

    http://www.jumpingpixels.com/qvc.html

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 23, 2006

    http://www.lapshop.co.nz

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Mar 23, 2006
  11. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>, y says...
    >
    >>What are peoples experiences with the tier 1 Intel/AMD server vendors in NZ?
    >>
    >>ie,
    >>
    >>Dell
    >>IBM
    >>HP
    >>Sun
    >>
    >>Others worth thinking about?

    > Insite will build to your spec - and advise along the way. Don't have
    > to wear the <above brands> cap, shirt, shoes...

    Not first tier, not consitant builds, no 5 year's total support built
    into purchase cost. We used to have some of thier stuff and its not that
    great and hardware varies depending in which month you buy the server
    in. All/Most of the first tier offer Linux tools as well as MS, and good
    ones, when doing 150+ servers +SANS +LTOs +fibre switches having a one
    stop shop, that is important you just tell them to fix it and not get
    the run around of no its their kit that is the problem, no it is
    theirs.....too hard...

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Mar 23, 2006
  12. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:15:53 +1200, someone purporting to be thingy didst
    > scrawl:
    >

    >>What are peoples experiences with the tier 1 Intel/AMD server vendors in NZ?
    >>
    >>ie,
    >>
    >>Dell
    >>IBM
    >>HP
    >>Sun
    >>

    > It's hard to beat Dell on price, but when I left my last job we were
    > getting rather upset with the quality. DOA drives on a disturbingly high
    > percentage of units, for example, and that was across at least two
    > different models from different series (a 1xxx and a 2xxx).
    > Also, Dell still won't touch AMD, so for the moment your choices are to
    > buy power hogs or to buy from someone else.

    Yes, we have found Dell very keen in the last 3 years. We have had very
    few Hware issues. We pay for 5 years support in the purchase price, so a
    failure is Dell's cost (Ok still our pain). We have over 150+ Dell
    servers, 5000+ Dell desktops, 2 (shortly 3) LTOs, 3 or 4 SANS, Dell is
    pretty good.

    We are considering Sun because of the AMD CPUs, some of our needs are
    highly mathematical, eg a single Alpha 433 Mhz cpu'd box does a test
    fortran compile in 0.34 of a second, a Xeon 3 Ghz dual box does it in
    0.31 second, so an 8 times faster CPU with 4 times the Ram is
    fractionally faster than a 1999 Tru64 box, in other words crap....hence
    looking at AMD Opteron maybe the Itanium.

    NB. Did the test on a p3-500 v the 433 Alpha and the Intel box took over
    3 seconds (same 1 gig of ram)...bloody awful.

    Compilers were interesting, the NAG ones were 10 times faster than the
    GPL'd ones, but the NAG ones are $5000 per year (educational price) v
    nothing....and no one is that pushed for time....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 23, 2006
  13. thingy

    Mercury Guest

    With Dell you get no local support.

    Insite does laptops to order too.

    Mercury, Mar 23, 2006
  14. thingy

    RJ Guest

    In article <dvv81s$dn1$>, says...
    > With Dell you get no local support.

    What's "local support"? You can call their 0800 number and get someone
    onsite within a day.

    RJ, Mar 23, 2006
  15. thingy

    thingy Guest

    RJ wrote:
    > In article <dvv81s$dn1$>, says...
    >
    >>With Dell you get no local support.

    Unisys does Dell support for us, they have been A1. Onsite is 1~2 hours....

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Mar 23, 2006
  16. thingy

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, y says...
    > RJ wrote:
    > > In article <dvv81s$dn1$>, says...
    > >
    > >>With Dell you get no local support.
    > >>

    > Unisys does Dell support for us, they have been A1. Onsite is 1~2 hours....

    Dell have 2 contractors, Unisys and ?NCC? for NZ support
    How fast they come out depends on what you pay for
    We got someone out to look at a $1000 server the next business day
    RJ, Mar 24, 2006