    Remember, I am formatting the IDE drive, that's where XP will go, and the
    SATA drive is used to store data, my music projects and so on.

    Thanx

    BC, Nov 9, 2003

  2. BC

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 01:18:31 -0000, BC wrote:

    No replies, from the last time you asked? It was only about 1 day
    between posts.

    >I am looking to reinstall XP on my IDE drive, and I have partitioned my SATA
    >drive into 2 partitions. SATA will or shud be recognised after I reinstall

    Partitioned only? Not formatted? Then don't worry it can always be
    redone.

    >XP, thing
    >is, will there be a problem with the drive being recognised since it's been

    The drive and partitions are 2 different aspects. Seeing the drive
    detected in the SATA device list at boot up and any particular OS seeing
    it after.

    >partitioned? Do I have to join up the partitions, or will XP ask me to

    Never had an issue before, using NT(IDE/SCSI mix) /2000 (IDE/SATA
    mix)/XP Pro (IDEs only). Reinstalled OS and disk manager detected all
    existing other drives and partitions. All of them were NTFS.

    >format my SATA drive, I have been backing up all my data from the IDE drive

    If you had to load a Windows XP, Silicon Image(for example) SATA
    controller driver, to enable access to the SATA device before. You will
    have to do it again.

    >onto the SATA one, I'd be gutted if I lost everything, there are GB of data,

    Um.... so the drive is already partitioned and formatted and has data on
    it. You could disconnect it during the reinstall, install any device
    drivers you need first then reboot with the drive reconnected.

    >too much for cdr's.

    DVD writer, holds just a bit more than CDR. Then again something like
    Norton Ghost / Drive Image to an other disk. Ghost also does compressed
    backups to CDR.

    >I might have to if I have to, but I'd prefer not to.

    It's worth doing a backup in *any* case not just for any specific reason
    but to simply have one or more.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Nov 9, 2003

  3. BC

    BC Guest

    thanx for the reply, i was desperate cuz I wanted to do the reinstall today,
    Sunday, have some spare time.

    BC, Nov 9, 2003