    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Craig Whitmore, Dec 28, 2005

  3. Mr Undeniably Sluttish

    XP Guest

    XP, Dec 28, 2005
  4. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:36:08 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > "Mr Undeniably Sluttish" <> wrote in message
    >> Help please. :eek:)
    >>

    > http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm

    Is there a Unix based solution? Can one use dd to do this? If so, then how?

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005
  5. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:36:08 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > "Mr Undeniably Sluttish" <> wrote in message
    >> Help please. :eek:)
    >>

    > http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm

    Thanks for the suggestion. Problem is sorted.

    In the end I used:

    dd if=FILE_NAME of=/dev/fd0

    I saw dd mentioned on the page from the link you posted. I looked up the
    info page for dd... and whaddya know! It worked. :eek:)

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005
  6. In <> XP
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:36:08 +1300, "Craig Whitmore" <.
    > nz> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mr Undeniably Sluttish" <> wrote in message
    >>> Help please. :eek:)
    >>>

    >>http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm
    >>

    > WinImage

    Apple Disk Utility

    (I reckon that's at least as useful to someone who's running Linux as a
    Windows program would be)

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Dec 28, 2005
  7. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 23:10:31 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    >>>http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm

    >> WinImage

    > Apple Disk Utility
    >
    > (I reckon that's at least as useful to someone who's running Linux as a
    > Windows program would be)

    On the above quoted website I found a reference to a Windoze version of
    dd. That reminded me of the original GNU dd utility, and so I read the man
    and info pages about it and gave it a try.

    And whaddya know... it worked. :eek:)

    Basically I'm upgrading the hardware of my SmoothWall firewall and FreeBSD
    server - doubling the speed of the Server, and a five fold increase in
    speed for the firewall (both will become p3-600s).

    I'm swapping over the firewall tonight, and possibly the server also
    tonight if all goes well. I tested the firewall last night. All seemed to
    go well.

    The web interface seems so very much faster and much more responsive.

    I have come across, however, one small annoying point with Smoothwall.
    Hardware configuration. If you use a different ethernet card and load the
    saved configuration, Smoothwall is set for the original ethernet card, and
    not the new one - and it is difficult to get it to load a replacement
    driver without doing some serious digging about.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 29, 2005