    it, since I can force the aperture to maximum opening... also why is the
    minimum aperture only f/8?

    Thanks
    chibitul, Sep 13, 2003

  2. chibitul

    Jeremy Guest

    chibitul <> wrote:

    > I spent the last 2 years shooting 35 mm SLR (Pentax gear) and a P&S
    > digicam (Canon Powershot A10). A10 has no manual controls (besides some
    > exposure compensation and white balance). I have noticed that ususally
    > the DOF is much deeper on the digital camera (with maximum aperture
    > f/2.8) tha on my Pentax ZOOM lens (28-70 with f/4.0). I thought that a
    > larger aperture on the digicam will give me a shalow DOF. The real focal
    > length of the Powershot is 5-15 mm (equivalent ot 35-105 in 35 mm
    > format).

    It's equivalent to 35-105 in magnification, but it's still 5-15mm, and
    depth of field is greater at shorter focal lengths.

    > Since I am looking to buy a new digicam (looking at powershot A70, which
    > has nice manual controls) I am wondering if I will get shalow DOF from
    > it, since I can force the aperture to maximum opening...

    No, you won't, it'll probably be about the same. Shoot close-up at max
    telephoto zoom at max aperature, and that's as shallow as it'll get.

    > also why is the minimum aperture only f/8?

    Due to the small size of the sensor, anything smaller wouldn't work very
    well.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy, Sep 15, 2003

  3. chibitul

    chibitul Guest

    In article <>,
    Jeremy <> wrote:

    > chibitul <> wrote:
    >
    > > I spent the last 2 years shooting 35 mm SLR (Pentax gear) and a P&S
    > > digicam (Canon Powershot A10). A10 has no manual controls (besides some
    > > exposure compensation and white balance). I have noticed that ususally
    > > the DOF is much deeper on the digital camera (with maximum aperture
    > > f/2.8) tha on my Pentax ZOOM lens (28-70 with f/4.0). I thought that a
    > > larger aperture on the digicam will give me a shalow DOF. The real focal
    > > length of the Powershot is 5-15 mm (equivalent ot 35-105 in 35 mm
    > > format).

    > It's equivalent to 35-105 in magnification, but it's still 5-15mm, and
    > depth of field is greater at shorter focal lengths.

    but then the COC (circle of confussion) should be smaller for CCD rather
    than film, so DOF should be about the same.

    Or even better, forget COC:

    Suppose you shoot 35mm film, 105 mm lens, f/4.8
    Now shoot the same image digital 15mm focal length f/4.8

    if I print both images 8x10 and look at them *from the same distance* I
    wonder if I see the same DOF or not. What I want is to get a portrait
    with the street background blurred out. Please let me know if this is
    possible with P&S digital or not. Plan to borrow an A70 and do the test
    myself, or ask a close frined to do it for me.

    chibitul, Sep 16, 2003
  4. chibitul

    Jeremy Guest

    chibitul <> wrote:

    > What I want is to get a portrait with the street background blurred out.
    > Please let me know if this is possible with P&S digital or not.

    If what you're looking for is the kind of limited depth-of-field that you'd
    get with a medium telephoto on 35mm wide-open, no, you're not getting that.
    You can get a blurred background if you shoot zoomed in, wide open, and
    close up, but it won't be as much as you're probably looking for -- but
    since I don't know exactly what you're looking for, best advice would be to
    try it and see if it's enough for what you want.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy, Sep 16, 2003