    and I'm beginning to wonder if these little cameras are essentially
    snapshot jobs (or paper weights) or if it's me. Any ideas?

    , Sep 24, 2004

  2. Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > I have two Canon point-and-shot cameras: A75 and S45. Both work well
    > for casual snapshots. But I've been trying to get full-frame shots of
    > round objects (basketball and soccer ball) and I can't get enough
    > depth of field to get the entire balls in focus. Am I missing some
    > magical setting or is the aperture simply too large to get what I
    > want? Doesn't work even with the full extension of the optical zoom.
    > It's pretty frustrating. I'm used to shooting slr cameras (35 and MF)
    > and I'm beginning to wonder if these little cameras are essentially
    > snapshot jobs (or paper weights) or if it's me. Any ideas?

    You need to use a SMALLER APERTURE.
    Depth of field is inversely related to aperture diameter.
    Small Apertures = Large Depth of Field.
    Set your S-45 to AV mode and select an f-stop of about 7.0.
    If the available light does not permit a reasonable speed (>1/60 sec.),
    try to either get more light or move to the next larger aperture.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:05:00 -0700, Bob Williams
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I have two Canon point-and-shot cameras: A75 and S45. Both work well
    >> for casual snapshots. But I've been trying to get full-frame shots of
    >> round objects (basketball and soccer ball) and I can't get enough
    >> depth of field to get the entire balls in focus. Am I missing some
    >> magical setting or is the aperture simply too large to get what I
    >> want? Doesn't work even with the full extension of the optical zoom.
    >> It's pretty frustrating. I'm used to shooting slr cameras (35 and MF)
    >> and I'm beginning to wonder if these little cameras are essentially
    >> snapshot jobs (or paper weights) or if it's me. Any ideas?

    >You need to use a SMALLER APERTURE.
    >Depth of field is inversely related to aperture diameter.
    >Small Apertures = Large Depth of Field.
    >Set your S-45 to AV mode and select an f-stop of about 7.0.
    >If the available light does not permit a reasonable speed (>1/60 sec.),
    > try to either get more light or move to the next larger aperture.
    >Bob Williams

    I'm using the smallest aperture setting and have two studio tungsten
    flood lights and a white backdrop. i.e. lots of light. I'm using
    tripod so shutter speed not a significant issue.

    , Sep 25, 2004
  4. Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:05:00 -0700, Bob Williams
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have two Canon point-and-shot cameras: A75 and S45. Both work well
    >>>for casual snapshots. But I've been trying to get full-frame shots of
    >>>round objects (basketball and soccer ball) and I can't get enough
    >>>depth of field to get the entire balls in focus. Am I missing some
    >>>magical setting or is the aperture simply too large to get what I
    >>>want? Doesn't work even with the full extension of the optical zoom.
    >>>It's pretty frustrating. I'm used to shooting slr cameras (35 and MF)
    >>>and I'm beginning to wonder if these little cameras are essentially
    >>>snapshot jobs (or paper weights) or if it's me. Any ideas?

    >>You need to use a SMALLER APERTURE.
    >>Depth of field is inversely related to aperture diameter.
    >>Small Apertures = Large Depth of Field.
    >>Set your S-45 to AV mode and select an f-stop of about 7.0.
    >>If the available light does not permit a reasonable speed (>1/60 sec.),
    >> try to either get more light or move to the next larger aperture.
    >>Bob Williams

    > I'm using the smallest aperture setting and have two studio tungsten
    > flood lights and a white backdrop. i.e. lots of light. I'm using
    > tripod so shutter speed not a significant issue.

    Very perplexing.
    At a given aperture and focal length (35 mm equivalent), P/S cameras
    like the S45 have a much GREATER depth of field than a 35 mm film camera.
    At a given aperture and focal length, DOF is also related to the
    camera-to-subject distance. Greater distance = greater DOF.
    The only thing I can think of is to use Wide Angle, f=8.0, Largest size,
    SHQ compression and keep moving back until the entire ball is in focus.
    The ball may not fill the frame, but at 4 MP and SHQ you should be able
    to do some heavy duty cropping and still get a good quality image.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Sep 25, 2004
  5. Guest

    Thanks, I'll try that.

    , Sep 25, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:05:00 -0700, Bob Williams
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > wrote:
    > >> I have two Canon point-and-shot cameras: A75 and S45. Both work well
    > >> for casual snapshots. But I've been trying to get full-frame shots of
    > >> round objects (basketball and soccer ball) and I can't get enough
    > >> depth of field to get the entire balls in focus. Am I missing some
    > >> magical setting or is the aperture simply too large to get what I
    > >> want? Doesn't work even with the full extension of the optical zoom.
    > >> It's pretty frustrating. I'm used to shooting slr cameras (35 and MF)
    > >> and I'm beginning to wonder if these little cameras are essentially
    > >> snapshot jobs (or paper weights) or if it's me. Any ideas?

    > >You need to use a SMALLER APERTURE.
    > >Depth of field is inversely related to aperture diameter.
    > >Small Apertures = Large Depth of Field.
    > >Set your S-45 to AV mode and select an f-stop of about 7.0.
    > >If the available light does not permit a reasonable speed (>1/60 sec.),
    > > try to either get more light or move to the next larger aperture.
    > >Bob Williams

    > I'm using the smallest aperture setting and have two studio tungsten
    > flood lights and a white backdrop. i.e. lots of light. I'm using
    > tripod so shutter speed not a significant issue.

    As I cannot judge your knowledge of (digital) photography, so I take the
    risk of saying something that you might already know:

    The smaller aperture has a bigger number!
    So choose an aperture of 22 or 16 to have a lot of DoF, and an aperture
    of 5.6 or smaller for less DoF.

    Pleae note that in camera's like the A75 and S45, the Aperture is
    'always' small, because the lens is quite small. With these cameras you
    will usually have more DoF than with SLRs where apertures of 2 and
    bigger (smaller number) are available ...
    (probably better said the other way around: SLRs can reach shorter DoF
    because they can use much bigger aperture (smaller number) like 2.8, 2
    or sometimes even 1.2 or 1.4)

    Wouter
    (S60 owner after having used an analog SLR for 15 years ... saving for a
    20D)

    --

    Wouter F. Wessels
    Gouda, the Netherlands