Doesn't Boot with additional hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Srikanth, May 11, 2007.

  1. Srikanth

    Srikanth Guest

    Hi

    I have a desktop PC, and I wanted to plug an additional hard drive
    (taken from a different comp) into this one. The second hard drive was
    the boot drive of the comp it was originally in... I disconnected my
    cd and pushed in the new hard drive instead.

    The problem is this: BIOS detects both hard drives, reports the right
    memory and stuff, but just doesn't get to the boot menu stage... what
    I mean is that the hard drive is detected fine... i went to bios and
    set the boot order to old hard-drive, then floppy... but it never
    brings reaches the point of booting up the OS (Win 98). Displays all
    the details of the mother board etc, and at the point where it
    generally starts booting the OS, it just stays still and does
    nothing... However, I can ctrl+alt+del it to restart my machine - it
    hasn't hung. Also, if I just remove the power cable from the new hard
    drive, everything works just fine... In fact, I tried booting up with
    just the new hard drive, and that doesn't work either...

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Srikanth

    Srikanth, May 11, 2007

  2. Srikanth

    Guest

    On 11 May, 10:21, Srikanth <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a desktop PC, and I wanted to plug an additional hard drive
    > (taken from a different comp) into this one. The second hard drive was
    > the boot drive of the comp it was originally in... I disconnected my
    > cd and pushed in the new hard drive instead.
    >
    > The problem is this: BIOS detects both hard drives, reports the right
    > memory and stuff, but just doesn't get to the boot menu stage... what
    > I mean is that the hard drive is detected fine... i went to bios and
    > set the boot order to old hard-drive, then floppy... but it never
    > brings reaches the point of booting up the OS (Win 98). Displays all
    > the details of the mother board etc, and at the point where it
    > generally starts booting the OS, it just stays still and does
    > nothing... However, I can ctrl+alt+del it to restart my machine - it
    > hasn't hung. Also, if I just remove the power cable from the new hard
    > drive, everything works just fine... In fact, I tried booting up with
    > just the new hard drive, and that doesn't work either...
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thanks
    > Srikanth

    have you changed the jumper settings on the new drive to slave ?

    , May 11, 2007

  3. Srikanth

    Srikanth Guest

    Hi

    yeah, i tried that (in fact I tried all possible combinations - both
    slaves, one at a time as slave, both masters), still no luck...any
    other suggestions?

    Thanks
    Srikanth

    Srikanth, May 11, 2007
  4. Srikanth

    old man Guest

    Run the new / old drive manu checking utility, available on their site

    old man, May 11, 2007
  5. Srikanth

    Srikanth Guest

    Hi

    There is something i forgot to mention - the hard drive that is being
    transferred used to give a bit of boot problem - it often used to halt
    just before bringing up it's own boot menu - that was why i removed it
    from the original machine... So i can't really do a disk analysis...
    but the disk is being recognized fine....

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks a lot
    Srikanth

    Srikanth, May 11, 2007
  6. Srikanth

    Ben Myers Guest

    Most motherboards have two hard drive ports. Try attaching the
    new drive to the other one. You may have to use the ribbon cable
    from the old computer.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, May 11, 2007
  7. Srikanth

    Guest

    Something important to note is that apparently you put it on the
    secondary IDE (removed CD and put it there) therefore both drives
    would in fact show up as masters, what I would do personally is 1st
    and foremost remove the second drive and get it working again with
    just the one main drive you started with , once thats done then
    install the second drive (set as a slave or better cable select) on
    the secondary drive position on the same cable as the main drive
    (should be a secondary connector on the same cabe the main drive is
    connected with) See how that works for you

    , May 11, 2007
  8. Srikanth

    Srikanth Guest

    Hi

    Thanks for the suggestions... i'll try it out and get back to you.

    Thanks
    Srikanth

    Srikanth, May 12, 2007