    x64 but it would be great if someone could clarify this bit of confusion for
    me.

    Many thanks.. Mark

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Jul 1, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Yes. 2 dual cores will look like 4 cpus. This got started when Intel
    brought about hyperthreading, and MS said for licensing purposes they would
    count sockets, not cores or apparent cores.

    M. Murcek, Jul 1, 2005

  3. Thank you M.
    Can I just clarify that by Yes (full stop) you mean XP x64 will suppot 2
    dual cores.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Jul 1, 2005
  4. M. Murcek wrote:

    > Yes. 2 dual cores will look like 4 cpus.

    And 8 with HT enabled.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jul 1, 2005
  5. "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you M.
    > Can I just clarify that by Yes (full stop) you mean XP x64 will suppot 2
    > dual cores.

    Yes Windows XP Professional x64 Edition supports 2 CPU SOCKETS - so either
    single or dual cores with or without hyperthreading
    We only count sockets
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 1, 2005
  6. Here is a great article about it by Charlie Russel:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/06/27/56138.aspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005
  7. Thank you all for your help.

    Mark

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Jul 1, 2005
  8. yes, full stop, it will. See our blog -- I cover this exact question, just as
    I did on this very newsgroup last week.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 1, 2005
  9. Well, no, not exactly. It will _look_ like 8, but it won't be effectively 8,
    since HT is not at all the same as a separate core.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 2, 2005
  10. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    > Well, no, not exactly. It will _look_ like 8, but it won't be
    > effectively 8, since HT is not at all the same as a separate
    > core.

    True. What I meant is that it will _look_ like 8.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jul 2, 2005
  11. As I did not see confirmation of quad-core processor support, just wondering
    whether these overall limits are true for build 1830 :
    PRO 8 concurrent threads
    STD 16 concurrent threads
    ENT 32 concurrent threads
    DTC 256 concurrent threads

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jul 2, 2005
  12. "Chris" wrote:

    > As I did not see confirmation of quad-core processor support, just wondering
    > whether these overall limits are true for build 1830 :
    > PRO 8 concurrent threads
    > STD 16 concurrent threads
    > ENT 32 concurrent threads
    > DTC 256 concurrent threads

    But x64 OEM editions only supports One processor and Dual or Hyper witch means
    that one carry 2 cpu is not restricted so I guess that a dual motherboard 2
    Processors will have to have 2 licences

    =?Utf-8?B?d2ViZmFjdG9y?=, Jul 3, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    Don Awalt Guest

    FYI I have a Dell Precision with 2 Xeon hyperthreaded CPUs and both are
    supported, in hyperthread mode, under x64..

    Don Awalt, Jul 3, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    NNBXX Guest

    Same here. Perfect.

    NNBXX, Jul 3, 2005
  15. "webfactor" <> wrote in message

    > "Chris" wrote:
    >
    >> As I did not see confirmation of quad-core processor support, just
    >> wondering
    >> whether these overall limits are true for build 1830 :
    >> PRO 8 concurrent threads
    >> STD 16 concurrent threads
    >> ENT 32 concurrent threads
    >> DTC 256 concurrent threads
    >>

    > But x64 OEM editions only supports One processor and Dual or Hyper witch
    > means
    > that one carry 2 cpu is not restricted so I guess that a dual motherboard
    > 2
    > Processors will have to have 2 licences

    Incorrect,

    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (which is Only available as an OEM
    product) supports 2 CPU sockets as I have already answered,

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 3, 2005
  16. 2 sockets and thats it. If you want more, go up to Windows Server 2003 x64.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 3, 2005