    I looked on Google and scanned here but with no luck.

    Is there a way?

    Thanks

    Spiderd, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Spiderd

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Spiderd wrote:
    > I need to create a text file of a directory on a drive in one location
    > and send on to my home computer by email. I could easily put
    > directory lists in a .txt file under DOS but have not found a way to
    > do it on XP.
    >
    > I tried the search or find on XP but it saved an empty find rather
    > than what it actually found.
    >
    > I looked on Google and scanned here but with no luck.
    >
    > Is there a way?
    >
    > Thanks

    So do it in DOS. What's the problem? Start, Run, cmd <enter>.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006

  3. Spiderd

    Guest

    Spiderd <> wrote:

    |>I need to create a text file of a directory on a drive in one location
    |>and send on to my home computer by email. I could easily put
    |>directory lists in a .txt file under DOS but have not found a way to
    |>do it on XP.

    Start | Run <type in>
    %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:%systemroot%/Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
    <enter>

    For a listing of all DOS (CMD) commands available to you, closest I
    came to was NET SEND

    --
    http://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/

    , Jul 23, 2006
  4. Spiderd

    Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > Spiderd <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I need to create a text file of a directory on a drive in one
    >>> location and send on to my home computer by email. I could easily
    >>> put directory lists in a .txt file under DOS but have not found a
    >>> way to do it on XP.

    > Start | Run <type in>
    > %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:%systemroot%/Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
    > <enter>
    >
    > For a listing of all DOS (CMD) commands available to you, closest I
    > came to was NET SEND

    Nahhh...all he needs is a command prompt, a dir redirect, and pick it up
    with his Windows-based email client and email it to himself. Why make it
    difficult?

    Start, Run, cmd <enter>
    cd /xxxx (Change to the folder he wants the list from)
    dir > dir.txt <enter> (typical command options applied as desired)
    exit
    email above file home.

    Especially since in XP, sending files with net send is apparently no longer
    supported.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Spiderd

    Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |>> Start | Run <type in>
    |>> %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:%systemroot%/Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
    |>> <enter>
    |>>
    |>> For a listing of all DOS (CMD) commands available to you, closest I
    |>> came to was NET SEND
    |>
    |>Nahhh...all he needs is a command prompt, a dir redirect, and pick it up
    |>with his Windows-based email client and email it to himself. Why make it
    |>difficult?
    |>
    |>Start, Run, cmd <enter>
    |>cd /xxxx (Change to the folder he wants the list from)
    |>dir > dir.txt <enter> (typical command options applied as desired)
    |>exit
    |>email above file home.

    Then

    Start | Run <type in> CMD /K dir c:\temp > task & notepad task <enter>

    |>Especially since in XP, sending files with net send is apparently no longer
    |>supported.

    I notice'd that and couldn't delete the message and didn't feel like
    including an follow-up, if you play around with NET SEND you finally
    get:

    C:\temp>net send help
    Sending files is no longer supported.

    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3777.

    C:\temp>net helpmsg 3777

    Sending files is no longer supported.

    --
    http://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/

    , Jul 23, 2006
  6. Spiderd

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:47:02 -0400, Spiderd <> wrote:

    >I need to create a text file of a directory on a drive in one location
    >and send on to my home computer by email. I could easily put
    >directory lists in a .txt file under DOS but have not found a way to
    >do it on XP.
    >
    >I tried the search or find on XP but it saved an empty find rather
    >than what it actually found.
    >
    >I looked on Google and scanned here but with no luck.
    >
    >Is there a way?
    >
    >Thanks

    Yes, dir > name.txt . Works for me.

    Evan Platt, Jul 23, 2006
  7. Spiderd

    Martik Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Spiderd wrote:
    >> I need to create a text file of a directory on a drive in one location
    >> and send on to my home computer by email. I could easily put
    >> directory lists in a .txt file under DOS but have not found a way to
    >> do it on XP.
    >>
    >> I tried the search or find on XP but it saved an empty find rather
    >> than what it actually found.
    >>
    >> I looked on Google and scanned here but with no luck.
    >>
    >> Is there a way?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > So do it in DOS. What's the problem? Start, Run, cmd <enter>.

    XP is capable of running a new 'linux like' command shell:

    Martik, Jul 23, 2006
  8. Spiderd

    Noel Paton Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > |>Nahhh...all he needs is a command prompt, a dir redirect, and pick it up
    > |>with his Windows-based email client and email it to himself. Why make it
    > |>difficult?
    > |>
    > |>Start, Run, cmd <enter>
    > |>cd /xxxx (Change to the folder he wants the list from)
    > |>dir > dir.txt <enter> (typical command options applied as desired)
    > |>exit
    > |>email above file home.
    >
    > Then
    >
    > Start | Run <type in> CMD /K dir c:\temp > task & notepad task <enter>
    >
    > |>Especially since in XP, sending files with net send is apparently no
    > longer
    > |>supported.
    >
    > I notice'd that and couldn't delete the message and didn't feel like
    > including an follow-up, if you play around with NET SEND you finally
    > get:
    >
    > C:\temp>net send help
    > Sending files is no longer supported.
    >
    > More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3777.
    >
    > C:\temp>net helpmsg 3777
    >
    > Sending files is no longer supported.

    Heh! - did you try "net send * help" ??

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jul 23, 2006
  9. Spiderd

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Martik wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Spiderd wrote:
    >>> I need to create a text file of a directory on a drive in one
    >>> location and send on to my home computer by email. I could easily
    >>> put directory lists in a .txt file under DOS but have not found a
    >>> way to do it on XP.
    >>>
    >>> I tried the search or find on XP but it saved an empty find rather
    >>> than what it actually found.
    >>>
    >>> I looked on Google and scanned here but with no luck.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> So do it in DOS. What's the problem? Start, Run, cmd <enter>.

    > XP is capable of running a new 'linux like' command shell:
    >
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/11/Scripting/default.aspx

    Kewl! It's over my head, and a bit overkill for what the OP had in mind, but
    I'm sure a lot of system admins can really use/appreciate the ability to
    code/execute scripts in an DOS-like enviroment.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006
  10. Spiderd

    Guest

    "Noel Paton" <> wrote:

    |><> wrote in message

    |>> Then
    |>>
    |>> Start | Run <type in> CMD /K dir c:\temp > task & notepad task <enter>

    |>> longer
    |>>
    |>> I notice'd that and couldn't delete the message and didn't feel like
    |>> including an follow-up, if you play around with NET SEND you finally
    |>> get:

    |>> C:\temp>net send help
    |>> Sending files is no longer supported.
    |>>
    |>> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3777.
    |>>
    |>> C:\temp>net helpmsg 3777
    |>>
    |>> Sending files is no longer supported.

    |>Heh! - did you try "net send * help" ??

    Had to turn on my messenger service to be able to see it.

    So that was MS's fix for the messenger service "exploit", have the
    command line say it was disabled :))

    --
    One New York City cop manages to shoot three fellow officers
    while trying to gun down an attacking pit bull.

    , Jul 23, 2006
  11. Spiderd

    > Martik wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> So do it in DOS. What's the problem? Start, Run, cmd <enter>.

    >> XP is capable of running a new 'linux like' command shell:
    >>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/11/Scripting/default.aspx

    > Kewl! It's over my head, and a bit overkill for what the OP had in mind,
    > but I'm sure a lot of system admins can really use/appreciate the ability
    > to code/execute scripts in an DOS-like enviroment.

    Simple examples using the 'grep' command:

    ie: I want to find all files than contain the test "pantec" case-insenitive
    including all sub-folders:

    msh start the shell
    grep -ir pantec *

    or I want to see all PIII with 256mb that are NOT Dell's in all txt files
    in the current folder:

    grep -i piii *.txt|grep -i 256mb *.txt|grep -iv dell *.txt

    Martik, Jul 23, 2006