    and can't be used in the RAID. Then I have 4 that are tied to a Silicon Image
    RAID Chip. The Hard Drives are in the two ports that are alone. I need some
    help.
    =?Utf-8?B?VGhlb3JldGljYWxseQ==?=, Jul 15, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VGhlb3JldGljYWxseQ==?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    If you are installing XP 64 bit to a SATA drive that is _not_ part of a
    RAID array, you do not need to install RAID drivers. However, if you are
    going to want to read or write to a RAID array subsequent to the OS
    install, whether to install or use applications that were installed to
    the RAID, create or read user files, you will have to install
    appropriate drivers subsequent to the Windows 64 bit install.

    If RAID is wanted and is to be independent of the SATA drive with the
    OS, you will have to make BIOS changes (if the controller is on-mobo
    chip set) or otherwise create the array _and_ load drivers for it.

    I urge you to check the mobo manual carefully to determine which
    connectors are controlled by which controllers. Some mobos have more
    than one HD controller type by more than one chip maker. For some of
    these, Windows XP 64 bit does not have drivers yet no does anyone else.

    Hope this is what you want to know.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Theoretically" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    :I am very confused with the fact that I have found no concrete area
    where it
    : says if you need to have RAID Drivers for installing normal SATA
    Drives that
    : aren't on a RAID. I was able to install Windows XP 32-bit onto a sata
    drive.
    : The installer was an original copy with no service packs. It would
    seem
    : counter productive to me if Microsoft required SATA drivers for non
    RAID hard
    : drives. Please help.
    :
    : If you don't want to read that long paragraph my question is: "Are 3rd
    party
    : drivers required to install Windows XP Pro x64 onto a SATA Drive that
    isn't
    : part of a RAID?"
    :
    : Final Piece: I have 6 SATA port on my Motherboard. 2 that are off
    "alone"
    Tom Ferguson, Jul 15, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?VGhlb3JldGljYWxseQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Depends on your motherboard chipset. Nforce4 works with no drivers on most
    SATA I drives. Via requires drivers at F6 for any SATA install.
    Give more information if you need additional help

    John Barnes, Jul 15, 2005
  4. Re: Does x64 require a SATA RAID Driver to install non-RAID SATA D

    This information is very helpful thank you. As I stated above I have a
    silicon image RAID Chip that can be set to become 4 extra SATA ports! I am
    using nForce3 and have only been using Serial ATA. It made me very happy when
    I installed WinXP32 SP0 7 months ago and it recognized it without a hitch.

    Thanks again!

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhlb3JldGljYWxseQ==?=, Jul 15, 2005
  5. Re: Does x64 require a SATA RAID Driver to install non-RAID SATA D

    Even if you don't _require_ drivers, the reports I saw a while back about the
    speed of the native drivers suggested that updating to chip specific ones
    would generally be a good move.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 15, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?VGhlb3JldGljYWxseQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Does x64 require a SATA RAID Driver to install non-RAID SATA D

    Let us know if you have or know of a non RAID SATA driver for the Nforce3 or
    Nforce4 chipset.

    John Barnes, Jul 15, 2005
  7. Re: Does x64 require a SATA RAID Driver to install non-RAID SATA D

    I will, John. But since I don't have an Nvidia board at this point, I'm not
    really actively looking. My second box is almost identical with my first
    box -- an ASUS A8V. Makes life easier. Next one will have to be intel,
    though. Just to cover my bases. (well, next one not counting the Ferrari. I'm
    still hoping to get one of those in the next couple of weeks.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 18, 2005